Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rope Stretching

OSSKIOSSKI Posts: 80 Baller
edited April 2011 in News & Other Stuff
Anyone have any good techniques for stretching out ropes to get past the 'bungee cord' phase when they're new? (Other than skiing them)?
Log sets and chart your progress with the Swervetracker app, at www.swervetracker.com

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 29,424 Administrator
    Truck + Tree or just ski on it.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• bmiller3536bmiller3536 Posts: 298 Baller
    Just ski on it, If the rope has so must 'bungee' in it it hurts your skiing you may want to think about getting a better rope.
    Brad Miller
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,445 Mega Baller
    I like to make the whole group ski in a new rope, and everybody needs to start on the -15 loop, usually takes about a half dozen skiers and the "bungee" is all gone.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • WishWish Posts: 8,100 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited April 2011
    Long time ago I watched skiers at a tourney place one end of the rope on a fixed point. The other end on the ball hitch of a truck. They left it in a stretched position for a while then used it in the tourney.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,802 Mega Baller
    Ball of truck hitch to post and leave it over night. Can't see any reason to ski on it stretchy.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,182 Mega Baller
    I guess the next question should be. Can you stretch it out of tolerance by doing that?
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,802 Mega Baller
    Just to clarify. I am not putting it in 4low and pulling to w/in 1lb. of the breaking point. Just a pretty tight feel and let it sit. It is noticeably looser when you check it the next morning.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,006 Mega Baller
    I use Estaban el Torro!!! He goes out at 18 and ends up at 11! Rope has been nice and streched out!!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• bmiller3536bmiller3536 Posts: 298 Baller
    Most ski ropes are made from rope that is pre-stretched. Honestly it will only feel like a bungee for a couple sets. Drag it behind the boat for a little bit if you feel the need to stretch it out.
    Brad Miller
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,430 Crazy Baller
    I like the bungy feel. Takes the hurt out of the slack hits:)
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,514 Mega Baller
    edited April 2011
    Oooops,double post...
  • thompjsthompjs Posts: 542 Solid Baller
    Using trucks to stretch ropes is very dangerous. You have no idea how much load you are putting on the rope. If you put enough load on it you may weaken it. Also it may break and whip someone standing nearby. This is an old wives tale from the old days of skiing -- don't do it.

The grade and size of rope we are using today does not need anything but a few passes down the lake.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,445 Mega Baller
    I like to make the whole group ski in a new rope, and everybody needs to start on the -15 loop, usually takes about a half dozen skiers and the "bungee" is all gone.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • MAD11MAD11 Posts: 578 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2011
    Take Jones method and only add one thing. Wet the rope before you stretch it. I hook one end to my suburban hitch and the other to my tractor. I just let the rolling weight of the tractor stretch it going a little down slope. I don't put it in gear and pull hard. In TX have to use your tractor for anything you can think of. Sometimes we use the ATV too.
  • jwrjwr Posts: 337 Baller
    I have to second scotchipman. Only two manufacturers I use, and don't seem to have a stretching problem.
    Obrien Elite 30" 6.845, 2.510, .80 PB [email protected]