Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Razor with and without a wing (Video)

HortonHorton Posts: 30,586 Administrator
edited May 2011 in Reviews
I skied with and without a wing today. Below are 35s without and then with a wing. For the first time since I slowed down to 34 mph I think with a wing might be better for me. I was beat tired today but unfortunately when I am fresh I do not ski much better.... so here you go.

(I know 99% of you think I am crazy for ever taking my wing off. That is another thread)

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 30,586 Administrator
    FYI - I am not saying my skiing looks better in the second video.....

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,701 Mega Baller
    I have not seen you ski on anything else...but what an amazing 1,3,5 both vids on this ski. I agree the 2,4,6 side better w/the wing.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    I like to think my skiing is entertaining. Not as technically good as I would like but the boat crew always seems to be just a little scared.

edited May 2011
    Everyone likes to show harder passes but I think this 28 off & 32 off pass says a lot about the ski. I love the way this ski arcs back.

• jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,381 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Pretty smooth, John. The ski looks better w/ the wing. I actually moved to 9 deg yesterday. Felt sluggish at 28 and 32 but at 35, if felt right. I didn't cut to 38 but until my water gets above 80, I'm sticking w/ 9 deg.
    Joe Darwin
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    John, that ability of the ski to arc out and then back in is one of the best things about it. If you adjust your mindset you can do that through 35 and 38 (you just have to convince yourself to follow the ski and not get too worked up!). It feels to me like once I set the arc coming off the second wake, I really don't have to do much except stay on top of the bindings and follow the ski around the arc. It finishes the turn on its own when you have the timing right. BTW, we all scare the boat crew sometimes!
    Jim Ross
  • SMSM Posts: 529 Crazy Baller
    Looked better with wing to me! How about adding 3 or 4 ventrals to that thing!
    Time spent on the water is time well spent.
  • mylemskymylemsky Posts: 116 Baller
    Horton,
    Apologies for going off subject.

Aside from the wing comparison, thank you for the video of a smooth 28. As a novice (consistent inconsistent 22's) it is easier to pick up what to do when slowed down a bit as opposed to trying to watch a 38 and up (but keep those coming because they are sweet to watch).

Also, while we are still free skiing up in MA, after I get up and set up for a pull out, I have been trying to emulate a gate pullout similar to yours. In terms of hip control and response, it works great. When in that body position, I feel the forces of the boat comfortably distributed in my back, shoulders, chest, butt. Should I feel these same forces every time I cut across the wake? I guess I am looking to train myself based on feeling, less on what I look like from a photo or flip vid from the boat.

Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Myles.

edited May 2011
    I am watching more video as I get ready to finish the review.... The skier is not the best but the ski stays in it...

After receiving constant badgering, I reluctantly agreed to take the wing off the Razor if for no other reason than to prove Horton wrong. Opps! The Razor feels "livelier" without the usual negative tendencies. I told Horton the ski felt "zippier" and he knew what I was referring to. The ski transitions off the 2nd wake a bit better into my onside turn but the offside turn is where I felt the biggest difference. The ski carries speed better thru the turn but not in an uncontrolled fashion. It feels incredibly natural without the wing. Perhaps a mini wing set at 7 deg would be preferable but for now, I'm leaving the wing off. For a ski that is very sensitive to fin adjustments, I could not believe how stable it remained without the wing. As I stated in another thread, every time I make a change, the ski gets better. My Razor goes to Skidawg on Thursday when I leave town for 4 days. It will be interesting to get another skier's input.
    Joe Darwin
    edited May 2011
    I am a genius

Or every once in a while even a blind pig finds an acorn.

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,903 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    My $0.02....on the 35 with the wing, you are dipping the inside shoulder on both sides causing the ski to bite at the end of the turn. The dipping can be be the result of going slower in the turn and falling over, or the biting can be caused by the balance point of the ski moving back with the wing, which causes the dipping. Chicken and egg, but that's what I see. You seem to be smoother without the wing.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    Thanks Bruce. I agree.

• Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I haven't skied without a wing in I can't remember how long. I love the way my Razor skis now, but might just pull it just to see what it feels like. No time like early season to play around a bit.
    Jim Ross
    I am looking forward to hearing what you think

edited May 2011
    Experienced the downside of no wing - tail release at 35 off. Not bad - just a soft slide at the back end of the turn. Perhaps a little deeper will compensate for the lack of wing. Although, I'm pretty sure I was a bit forward on the ski at the time. Sending the ski to Ward for a few days. I put the wing back on at 7deg. I'll play around w/ the wing when I return. Looking forward to Ward's thoughts regarding the ski.
    Joe Darwin
    I think you have to control your upper body more with the wing off but it is worth the trouble..

• MarkKarpoMarkKarpo Posts: 3 New Baller
    edited May 2011
    To compare runs easily you might try this ...

Its not difficult to do with Adobe Premier CS5 (free 30 day trial). Video shows how No Ventral ski is faster and passes Ventral behind the boat at every buoy.