Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

moomba outback

6balls6balls Posts: 5,134 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited May 2011 in Skis Fins Bindings
Skied a Moomba Outback tonight...bought by a friend w/109 hours. Handles nice, really wide, spacious open bow, adequate power w/the carb 310...but man the wake at 28 off 34 mph was stiff. Better shorter and not much spray...but it felt like my buddies Response LX at 28 off the time he forgot to raise the wedge.
Dave Ross--die cancer die

Comments

• Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,339 Crazy Baller
    What year? I have extensive experience skiing and driving one belonging to a friend, however it's a 2000 model. Never noticed the 28 off wake being an issue. Some bump at 22 but reasonably soft IMO and really good pretty much everywhere else. I've always thought the Outback was a pretty under rated and under appreciated slalom boat FWIW. A little weight in the nose might help.

Ed
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
  • oldnslooldnslo Posts: 1
    Ed -- my friend bought a 2000 Outback last season. Strangest boat I ever rode in or behind -- It won't track level -- always seems to be searching, trying to ride on the left hull surface or the right hull surface -- This is very disconcerting to driver and skiier alike. Also - when at rest, if it gets any significant cross wake, it takes water over the bow. This is a good looking, seemingly well cared for boat that runs great. The only obvious non-stock item is the addition of a trim-tab on the transom -- We thought about removing the trim tab but a current Moomba dealer told us it would be crazy to do so. Frankly, running with the tab up or down doesn't make much difference. Any thoughts. thanks.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,134 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I had always heard good things, too, and had driven one before and recall being impressed with the drive. I was surprised by the 28 bump. He bought it from another guy on our lake who had it when I arrived in '02...so I'm thinking similar year.
    Gets me to wondering if the bilge had a bunch of water in it, too much equipment, full tank of gas etc.
  • jwrjwr Posts: 337 Baller
    I've heard 80 pounds in the bow does wonders for the wakes.
    Obrien Elite 30" 6.845, 2.510, .80 PB [email protected]
  • usaski1usaski1 Posts: 739 Crazy Baller
    I have an 08... bought it last fall as a dealer levtover with 18 hours on it. It now has about 55.. While I was under the impression that the slalom wakes were good when I bought it, I bought it and didn't ski behind it until it was mine. The wakes seem large at all spees in the 20's.. not a sharp wake, but round... Im currenty having issues just trying to adjust to it.. I think I'll try the 80# in the nose and see how that goes. I have skiied less than 20 full passes behind it.. lots of missing 5 and 6 ball. At the same time, I've sked pretty lousy behind any curent MC or 'bu. And I just botched an opener behind a SN 200 2 weeks ago.. maybe its me and not the boat.
    Mark Turner -- Water skiing changed my life forever.
  • usaski1usaski1 Posts: 739 Crazy Baller
    I do think that the Moomba has awesome build quality, and drives well. I don't have a tracking problem with it. Coming from a 20 foot closed bow 80 inch beam has been interesting drive wise.
    Mark Turner -- Water skiing changed my life forever.
    Oldnslo - is the trim tab a factory Supra/Moomba adjustable tab centered on the lower edge of the transom or is it something aftermarket? About the same time as my friend (although we didn't know each other at the time) I bought a new 2000 Supra Legacy which had the factory trim tab, they refer to it as a "wake plate". Don't think it was even offered as an option on a 2000 Outback although I believe later Outbacks were so equiped or it was at least an option. No reason one couldn't have been added to that boat though.

The Legacy (basically a slightly stretched Supra Comp hull) had a lot of detractors for wake quality because very few ever really understood how to adjust the plate to properly optimize the slalom wake. Mine had the hydraulically adjustable plate (though most were the manual thumb screw adjustment type) so I was able to play with it a bunch and figure it out. Basically if you take a long straight edge (a yardstick works) and place it under the center line of the hull on edge, get the wake plate level with the hull using the straight edge, you're pretty close to optimal. If it's not the factory version wake plate (about 16 - 18" or so wide by 10 - 12" long mounted to the hull on a piano hinge) then I have no idea.

In regards to the searching thing - feels like it's kind of pivoting right under the pylon, correct? Usually with only a driver or maybe one in the observers seat? Put some weight in the front and that will go away plus should help with the wake as jwr stated above. A 10 - 12 year old kid works. If you run with only a driver buy a small fat sack to put on the passenger side of the boat to level it out and put wome weight up front and you should be good to go.

Seems like a lot of stuff to have to screw with to make the boat work properly I know but I swear that it's worth the effort. The Outback was/is a budget priced entry level boat and Skiers Choice cut too many corners on it IMO to get the price down, thus the issues it had (bunch of damn clueless wakeboarders...). I honestly thought that the wake behind my buddies Outback was noticably softer than my Supra, although hands down the Supra was a bunch easier to drive (tracked on rails). After owning it 8 years I sold it and got an '05 RLXI which gave me the drivability of the Supra with the soft wakes to go with that, and nothing to have to adjust/screw with. Hope this was helpful, or at least entertaining.

Cheers, Ed
    www.ez-slalom.com
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,134 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ed, I don't know how you managed to live w/that Supra. Buddy of mine is a serious footer and bought it to satisfy family space issues, nice looks, and the impression of Supra quality. Razor and I skied that boat (wake stunk), footed that boat (wake stunk...crossings were at one's own risk, lots of hp but pig couldn't get decent speed wide open), and drove the boat (handled big). Eventually the footer blew a motor running balls to the wall all the time hoping to have 40 mph.
    He rebuilt the motor to hammerhead specs, still slow and wake stunk. Honestly...with all due respect, I thought it was one of the worst overall boats in the biz. Must have a hell of a lot of drag on that hull to have such crappy top end. We razzed him about his boat all the time...he finally bought a pontoon which allowed for family cruising and thus also a Sanger DX II Barefooter on the side.
    edited May 2011
    Wow. That sounds absolutely nothing like the one I had. The bump at 22 was fairly hard but I've skied worse, inside that I compared it to a mid 90's MC 190. Up to about 35 off anyway, at that point the spray would hammer the crap out of you. Not that it was ever an issue for me personally... Top end was 42 - 43 mph; that with a 4-blade prop to boot. I'm thinking between tweaking the wake plate (mine was the hydraulic version so it was really easy to adjust it on the fly) and the 4-blade prop the wake on mine was better than with the stock prop. Adding the 4-blade did make a noticable diff in the wake quality. Had a friend at that time with a '99 Comp; my wake wasn't as good but not that far removed. Agreed, it wouldn't do real tight turnarounds and you couldn't spin turn it to save your (or anyone else's) life. Probably the big deep keel on the front of the boat, which is also why it tracked so well and took rough water better than most inboards.

I literally had one issue with the boat the entire time I owned it, and that was a warranty issue with Indmar on the fuel pump on the engine. Only pulled a few footers with it but they never complained, not to me anyway... Don't know what to tell you, I really thought it was a pretty good boat. Not near as good as my current one but nowhere near the experience your friend had.

Skiers Choice did a really poor job of supporting their ski boats with usable information about them, properly proping them for optimum performance, cutting too many corners on the Moomba etc. Small wonder they weren't particularly popular and why they're all but out of the slalom boat business now.

Ed
    www.ez-slalom.com
  • LazLaz Posts: 331 Solid Baller
    Moomba last changed the Outback hull in 2003 or 2004. Now it's very similar to the Malibu LXi.

I ski 15 to 28 off and sometimes try out 32' off. I can't tell the difference. The biggest factor in the wake is the amount of weight in the boat.

The price of the Outback makes it great for people who want to get their first ski boat.