Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edge Change - Pro vs. Amateur

webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
edited May 2011 in Technique & Theory
I was searching YouTube and came acrsoss 2 videos. The first is of Seth Stisher crossing the wakes at 15 off, 32 mph. The second is of an amateur skier doing the same thing. There is a HUGE difference. The amateur seems to bounce the ski a couple times off the second wake before settling into the edge change. Seth makes one steady move to a smooth edge change. I've noticed in my skiing that I sometimes have edge changes like Seth, sometimes like the amateur. The question is this....what CAUSES the difference???

Seth's Wake Crossing/Edge Change

Amateur's Wake Crossing/Edge Change

Comments

• ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,224
    The edge change is a byproduct of what came before it. Look at the body position differences coming into the first wake.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Great video of Seth. That's what I try to do -- the better I do that, the better my overall rythm throughout the course.
    Jim Ross
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    It is the body position and angle out of the ball. Seth has a ton of it and more speed so it is easier for him to make that edge change. You don't have the angle or the body position so the ski gets kicked around coming through the wakes.

The more I watch video of good skiers the more I am convinced that I need to be more patient in the turn and let the ski get good angle out of the buoy. When I do that everything is much easier.
    Mark Shaffer
  • WishWish Posts: 8,269 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited May 2011
    Body position. Look at Seth. Stacked. Hips knees and ankles leeding the way into and through the wake. First thing that crosses the center of the wake on the amateur is his lead shoulder then his head. Hips knees ankles to follow. Angle out of the ball is great but if you can't find that stacked and somewhat open to the boat position the result is not being balanced on the ski. Causes the ski to do lots of funny things after the second wake depending where your weight has shifted on the ski. Try skiing down the the length of the course on one side only and lean away from the boat and hold. Find that stacked balanced posision. Repeat on the other side. The more stacked and balanced the more you will notice how far you are moving up on the boat. May have to do this before each set so you feel it then turn some buoys.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<