Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 Fusion Rides 7-10

HortonHorton Posts: 28,332 Administrator
edited July 2011 in Reviews

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 28,332 Administrator
    I had the flu last week and am not sure I am fully recovered. In other words I do not feel strong yet.

I am going to work on getting more level approaching the ball and reaching slower today. That along with a little more forward into on side should smooth out the rough edges.

The ski is better than it looks in this video. Before I moved the fin and got sick it felt way better. Now think I just need to get on the program. The ski is really good.

edited July 2011
    I tweaked the fin last night. Was way better than the videos above.

Will post fin numbers tonight.

When I get in a groove the Fusion is so freak'n smooth

• Nick SullivanNick Sullivan Posts: 676 Baller
    It sounds like you are diggin the Fusion.
    Yea it is good

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,215 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    How does it compare to X5/X5 Pro/RCX skis from D3. Each new version of that basic design always felt like slow evolution of a proven design to me, rather than all new in any way. Is the Fusion evolution of the basic D3 characteristics, or something all new?
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    First of all I do not think RCX and X5 are really in the same family

With the Fusion they let a X7 and a Z7 bunk together. 9 months later the Fusion was born.

• WishWish Posts: 7,893 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I thought the gestation period was 4 months.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    My understanding is that they took the shape and rocker from one ski (X7 I think) and used bevels more like the other ski (Z7 I assume).

I went to RCX from X5 pro mid-season a number of years ago and thought they skied similarly with a few advantageous tweaks for the RCX in terms of cross course speed and depth in the pre-turn.
  • mkerziemkerzie Posts: 61 Baller
    I'd recognize that pink pin stripped Malibu anywhere... I LOVE skiing with Bill at Banana Lakes, great site!!!!
    edited July 2011
    My 67" Fusion settings

2.495 (I did not mean to be this shallow but I skied good last set so I am leaving it)
    .741 (flat)(I hate this measure method - do not trust it. Everyone should just get the slot caliper)
    .755 (slot)

• skibugskibug Posts: 2,043
    shallower and longer and further forward......it got better as you went longer and shallower; keep moving that way.
    Bob Grizzi
  • jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,379 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    6.875 / 2.498 / .740 flat / 7 deg wing. Those are the numbers I've run on all my D3's. I can't imagine the Fusion is significantly different.
    Joe Darwin
    I have been a long time Kidder/KD/D3 skier, the Fusion (to me) does not "feel" like a "typical" D3 (IMHO). It feels nothing like my Nomad RC...I was very surprised.
    Bob Grizzi
    Until this year had been on KD/D3 since '91. All felt evolutionary and easy transition to slightly better skis each time. Skibug, how does the Fusion differ in your opinion?
    @skibug - how old is your RC? That ski was made in 2008. It may be "soft" considering its age. Therefore, the Fusion should (in theory) feel nothing like your RC.
    Joe Darwin
  • kstateskierkstateskier Posts: 524 Solid Baller
    I've skied at those lakes, they are frickin awesome! 2004 if memory serves, behind a 90 Prostar that rumbles like a muscle car!
    KStateSkier
    Bradley Beach - Lone Rock Ski Club, Missouri
    2004 Malibu Response LXI, 2014 D3 Helix 66"
    edited July 2011
    Jdarwin, flex on my RC was 156, 133, 93, 69 (flexed in June of this year) the Fusion was 150, 128, 88, 68 (factory tag); so i don't think that was it as the RC is actually stiffer. I can't put my finger on it. I have ridden KD 7000 CG (2001), CR7 Titanium (2005), X5 pro (2007), Nomad RC (2007), Z7ST (2010), and now Fusion (2011). The Fusion feels (to me) nothing like the others. I put two entirely different sets of numbers in the ski to feel it out; these were the same two sets of numbers I have had in the RC and Z7 ST. Both sets of nubmers in the RC and Z7 ST were "usable"; but neither worked for me in the Fusion. Maybe I got a bad one to ride; or, maybe I am just that screwed up as a skier. It just didn't work for me and I was surprised and dissapointed; because I was excited about it. Horton is obviously making it work; so I am sure there are people out there that will love it, just not me.

FWIW, One of the skis I tested was an Elite (much stiffer and faster than the RC) and ran up to my PPB [email protected] within 3 sets; so now I have broken the chain; I am on an O'brien.
    Bob Grizzi
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,130
    WOW, this is starting to sound like the Nano, some people love it and some people hate it. Can't wait to hear more on the Fusion.
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    skibug - that's interesting. I would have thought the Fusion would be closer to the RC/RCX in "feel". All of the D3's I've skied have been set up very similar with regard to fin setting. Possibly, the Fusion is more than just a "tweaked" version of previous products.
    Joe Darwin
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,130
    Joe,
    I wish you could get your hands on one and give us an evaluation. Maybe Horton will let you try his when he is done. You have probably skied more D-3's than anyone.
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    Jdarwin, this was a 67" ski and I am usually on a 68"; but Paul Crawford said to ride the 67" first since I was on the edge of the weight range (200 lbs). I ran the fin short and deeper...like 6.880, 2.500 and did not like it at all. I could not run my opening pass (25' on a training loop rope; because 22' sucks behind the MC)...tried 3 times...could not get it to turn; felt like driving a pontoon boat. This surprised me, especially on a 67" which I should be able to turn easier than the 68".

I went longer and shallow..like 6.940, 2.465 and was able to run into 32'; but it was a ton of work and still did not feel like the ski wanted to turn; at least not like my RC.
    Bob Grizzi
    Ah ha! I'm about the same weight and I can not ride at 67". I would bet the same applies to you. Paul has pushed the 67's on me in the past since they went a bit wider w/ the the forebody of their skis and I have resisted. I did try a 67" Z7 when they first came out and sent it back for a 68". I felt like the 67" stayed under me and I could never move it out. I would recommend the 68". Horton's is a 67" and would not work for me. I would like to try one at some point but it would have to be a 68".
    Joe Darwin
    I understand your theory and agree that the 68" would proabably be better. I already bought the 67" (67.5" when measured along the bottom) Elite. This ski is fast cross course, casts out nicely, gets wide and turns just about as good as my RC. With a few conscious technique tweaks; I feel it will take me further.
    Bob Grizzi
    Oh, the Elite is fast - no doubt. If you can dial yourself in on that ski, it is magic.
    Joe Darwin
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,413 Crazy Baller
    The Elite rocks!
    That must mean that is the ski he was on.
    Started writing review tonight. Hate idea of taking bindings off Fusion this week.

Just saw them (pics) too.

Sounds promising Horton!