Old School boat

rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
edited April 2012 in Boat Talk
I can't afford the new sn200, cp, mc197 or Bu TXi, so I have me an old school boat, with plenty of power!!
Finally snapped some pics of the engine. Don't exactly know the specs as I am a the second owner. Bet you can't guess what boat it is!!

Photobucket

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,708 Administrator
    CC? I could be WAY off.

Clues if I got it right or not are.
    Drain plug shape.
    Engine box hinges.
    Shape of groove in carpet from engine box.
    Cast exhaust manifold.
    The back seat mount behind the engine box.
    The Holey 4 barrel carb has not been stock for a long time so I say early 90s.

Whatever it is congrats on your new toy.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

• Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,603 Mega Baller
    edited September 2011
    It would have to be something that had originally a Mercruiser as it is all set up as Merc. Not a fan of the AFB/Carter/eddlebrock carb (Horton that is not a Holley) but hey if it works dont mess with it!
    old classic Malibu maybe? Marlin skier?
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    Jody is on the right track! The boat is a 1993.
  • clemsondaveclemsondave Posts: 369 Baller
    My guess - 1993 Malibu Echelon
    Dave Satterfield - Richmond Water Ski Club
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    It looks very clean.
    Mark Shaffer
    @clemsondave , close but still no. It was however built my Malibu.
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,160
    I can't see the pic for some reason; but, i will take a guess based on your clues. Is it a Ski Brendella Short Line Comp?
    Bob Grizzi
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,905 Mega Baller
    Malibu Flightcraft inboard? I think they called it a 18XL or something, dropped the flightcraft and called it sportster for a few years before malibu created their own sportster.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Not a Brendella and very simalar to the flightcraft.

This pic should give it away.

Photobucket
  • eyepeelereyepeeler Posts: 214 Baller
    Euro F3?
    Matt Dillon
    It is not a Malibu. It was built at the Malibu plant for another brand.
    MB? Sanger? Acme?

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

GRR, ski west california skier?
    Acme, good guess !
    @6balls ding ding. Pic of myself and daughter cleaning her up. I want to add Stargazer, I think it will make a great ski boat. Wake seems small and flat, hardly any spray. Very weight sensitive though. Got it for a great deal and its practically showroom.

Photobucket
    I was never going to get that.

Skip Gazer. You want Classic unless you are thinking about the ZO Emulator

Can I get classic? Been searching all summer for a used unit and can't find any.
  • DWDW Posts: 2,439 Mega Baller
    Very nice looking boat, great color scheme. You will want to join the Malibu Crew, there are several "square windshield" members on that site. Should be an awesome barefoot boat. Looks like a Mercruiser rebuild, based on color and engine size change, I assume a different crank based on the 383 decal on the boat. Make sure the carb is properly marinized so no fuel will spill and potentially catch fire, the missing paint is a clue. They are super easy to tune and adjust, there are some things to improve the performance. Also, if you want to get all the power available, the spark arrestor is restricting some airflow at the top end. Also, what is the intake manifold?
  • Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 663 Crazy Baller
    You can run Star Gazer in Classic mode. Has it as one of the options under Slalom.
    Super cool looking boat. Negotiated briefly w/them to get a promo for our college ski team my second year of college.
    The boat got fantastic wake ratings from WSM boat review at the time, if memory serves...then they disappeared. I did a web search for used one's not too long ago and came up w/basically zippo.
    So, not only a cool boat but you picked up a very unique head-turner as well. Lucky on color scheme, too as those early 90's gel coats could get pretty dated w/purple, pink, teal etc. Congrats.
    edited September 2011
    @DW are you sending readers to another web site? I would ban you but I am in a good mood since Jr is 5th in points. I did change your icon to David Hobbs

• skier2788skier2788 Posts: 812 Crazy Baller
    I put pp classic on my 86 american skier this year. Just contact perfect pass it was like 1200 shipped had it in less than a week.
    Travis Torley
    I would love to see more pics if you've got 'em....I think she was an AWSA approved towboat from circa '91 to '95. Would be cool if you could get reprint of WSM boat review from back in the day.
    I've got them for my '91 Centurion Falcon Barefoot just cuz I packaged them away at the time. 20 years and going strong, though mostly relegated to tubing, pulling kids (small wake at slow speed), gin cruises, and balls to the wall hijinx and tom-foolery.
  • WishWish Posts: 8,464 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I have that WSM review on that boat. Top notch ratings. I'll see what I can do to post picks and review.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • WishWish Posts: 8,464 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited September 2011
    Sorry, first pick is sideways. Second pic is WSM 1995 Boat Buyers Guide review of California Skier. 3rd pick is direct comparison in order from left to right, 1994 SN, 1994 MC 190, and the California. It compares very favorably if not better. They went on to add great trick and board wake. So so for barefoot. I always liked the little prop levels they gave the boats back in the day.. hmmmm. looked better on my phone. and the third pic is to tiny. Dont know why. Basically the California beats SN and MC at long lines and ties at short line.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • konakona Posts: 528 Baller
    Nice work
    Bob Boyle - I am my girls father
  • DWDW Posts: 2,439 Mega Baller
    JTH, perfect! Jr. in 5th is good, will make for an interesting chase with Tony leading after a mediocre season. Only because they specialize in that unique boat . . . certainly not for skiing expertise which reigns supreme on this site and nowhere else!
    The WSM boat test on the Calif Skier was done back when they actually tested the boats in depth. Now a day's the tests are a glorified photo shoot for advertisement purposes.
    As A repair shop owner dedicated to the inboard market I am starting to see a few boats coming in that we are re-powering to to utilize the ZO speed control. Currently we have a mid 90 Malibu Euro that we are re powering with a Excalibur 343 By PCM. Nice thing is PCM has made it stupid proof to re-power older ski boats, drop it in plug and play. The oldest I have done is a 79 SN with a EX-330 however The guy liked Perfect Pass and I installed a StarGazer dbw unit.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

What is the sticker on a re-power? Any market for the old engine in these to offset cost?
    edited September 2011
    Well I guess it all depends on who you talk to about the price of a new motor. For me it depends on if I am doing the work or drop shipping a motor to someone. Being I am only re-powering with PCM products usually the cost to the customer for a Excalibur sitting on my shop floor bobtail is somewhere in the $8,500.00 Range. The worth of the pull out motor depends on what it is and how many hours and well maintained. A pull Out GT-40 could bring upwards of $3,500.00 Or as little as $500.00. Also having a market for pullout motors is a good thing to have. I sat on a 305 proski PCM motor with low hours wanting $2,500 and finally wound up setting it in a 22' foot Mako and selling it for $1,500. So it all depends on how bad you want to move the pull out equipment.