Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst jump crash ever? Kyle Dammeyer submits his entry.

ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 816 Crazy Baller
edited October 2011 in Videos, Photos & Media
Anthony Warren

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,021 Mega Baller
    That was scary to watch. I am not sure what happened he looked like he was okay then just lost his left ski. Fortunately he got onto his back as he was going down.
    Mark Shaffer
  • WishWish Posts: 8,046 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    AWSOME job on safety. Boat crew was on him in 7-seconds and swimmers in 17-18 seconds.

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • jackskijackski Posts: 263 Baller
    That's gonna leave a mark !
    Yep, good job by safety.
    Jack
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,329 Mega Baller
    gotta love collegiate jumping, national record on one end of the spectrum, all out devistation on the other end. Hope the boy is ok.
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,107
    He was probably still drunk from the party the night before. :)
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• TaperflexTaperflex Posts: 56 Baller
    Check this out from 1980....
  • sixballsixball Posts: 272 Baller
    Ok got to ask and I don't know a thing about jumping. Don't you buckle a helmet on ?
  • TaperflexTaperflex Posts: 56 Baller
    If you buckle the helmet you run the risk of losing your head.....
  • dthatedthate Posts: 176 Baller
    That face jump had good distance
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,030 Crazy Baller
    Any press for watersking is good press
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • DavidPDavidP Posts: 178 Baller
    Any guess on the distance?
    David Panneton - LakePort Water Ski Club, formerly known as Muddy Waters
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,630 Mega Baller
    Not to say that looked fun, but I would think (from a basis of zero landed jumps in my life) that sliding up the ramp like that is no where near as painful/dangerous as the ski tip catches I've seen, such as some of The Krista's crashes?

Good point about "Agony of Defeat" icon, though! It's actually a really similar sequence to that iconic video (that dates us a bit...).
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Yeah, I thought Agony of Defeat as soon as I viewed this one the other day.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• unksskisunksskis Posts: 461 Solid Baller
    that would not be considered, "sliding up the ramp", he got punted and kicked up by the ramp. So no, this is much worse than over-correcting and throwing your tips down at the last second.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,630 Mega Baller
    I am quite surprised to hear you say that, but I must defer to someone with actual knowledge.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    I think the only way to know that is to have done both.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 816 Crazy Baller
    I literally just got off the phone with Kyle's dad, Karl.

He said Kyle is doing fine...it was like a car crash, didn't feel until a day or two later.

Kyle actually got back on the skis for his 3rd attempt (now that is some stones).

Kyle is supposed to be on the BigTen Network tonight at 6:30 (he skis for Ohio State).

Karl was glad that his wife, Denise, was present and didn't watch the crash via webcast so she could know that he was alright.

For those of you who don't know the Dammeyer's they are an awesome ski family in SW Ohio (St. Mary's) and have a lake called Shortline Shores.

They have 3 kids, Kyle, Kevin and Kristen who are just as good of people as they are skiers - and they are awesome skiers!

I believe this is where Jodi Fisher kicked off his Ski Skool tour the last two years.
    Anthony Warren
  • TonyLightfootTonyLightfoot Posts: 43 Baller
    Yeah, he was fine after that set and was certainly alive and well at the banquet - not even contemplating the possibility that the video of his crash would become quite possibly the most watched water ski video in recent times.

Here's the clip from ESPN's "Around the Horn" - yes, THAT ESPN....

...and from a nationally-syndicated news magazine show called Right This Minute.....

and that interview that was being eluded to earlier on the Big Ten Network? Got that too....

Just for his ambassadorial role alone in that interview on the behalf of the NCWSA and especially the schools in the MidWest he should be a shoe-in for an award at the NCWSA Mid-Winter meeting come the new year. He gets my vote for sure....
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,021 Mega Baller
    To those of you that are jumpers I know that his left ski caught but why do you think it happened. My son was watching it and I want to make sure he understands what went wrong so he doesn't do it anytime soon. It looked to me like he might have started to go flat and not pull all the way through the ramp and that is why the ski wandered out but I don't jump.
    Mark Shaffer
  • FAFA Posts: 66 Baller
    It has nothign to do with him being flat. Usually you dont go flat that far infront of the jump.
    If you look closely at the video. He comes off the second wake and has his left ski off the water. As soon as he sets it in the water it catches and he loses it.
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,329 Mega Baller
    That usually happens when u land w to much wgt on left ski, done it, no fun (not quite that big though)! Glad he's alright. Hard to say which type of crash hurts worse, full on out the front or sliding up the jump, they both suck
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • WIskierWIskier Posts: 76 Baller
    Just saw this made the #1 on the not top 10 on sportscenter
  • TonyLightfootTonyLightfoot Posts: 43 Baller
    ...and it also made it to Comedy Central's "Tosh.0"...