Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting to think about it

ralral Posts: 1,729 Mega Baller
edited November 2011 in News & Other Stuff
Although still a long way to recover, I am thinking about the comeback. One ot the items I want to use is a neck protector. I have seen some that are oriented to barefoot, they do not look too sophisticated. Also, was told that Jon Travers uses a football neck roll, cannot figue out how it is attached to the vest, though.

Got to the following using google:

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/mcdavid-adult-football-cowboy-collar.html

Looks kind of nice. Do not know how it would perform w/o a football helmet, would it have the same effectiveness?

Ideas and thoughts are appreciated.
Rodrigo Andai
[Deleted User]

Comments

• rawlyrawly Posts: 476 Solid Baller
    Barefoot !!!They are designed for the water and abuse they will receive(hopefully not while slaloming)comfortable to wear,they slightly support the front of your neck(chin hitting chest is a built in stop)and they will prevent the whiplash effect of your head going backwards yet allow slight movement necessary for skiing.
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,083
    Call Travers ski school and ask for Jon. Heck, even Jack or Chris could tell you how Jon used his neck brace.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• TRSTTRST Posts: 23 Baller
    The leatt brace has come on strong in the motocross industry and it looks like they are expanding into other markets. You might talk to them about a watersports version.

http://www.leattbraces.com/
  • GarnGarn Posts: 505 Crazy Baller
    Here's one that we have that is made by Cinch Max for hydrofoilers but would work great for any watersport.

http://cinchmax.com/id3.html

Garn
  • KlundellKlundell Posts: 432 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    As a chiropractor I'm very interested in a quality product like this. I took a huge hit out the gates this year whiplashing myself pretty bad. I think a product like cinch makes would have helped.

It would be awesome if leatt would make a brace. They are huge in motocross and know their stuff when it comes to making a protective neck brace. @Ral you should contact them with your story maybe they would look into it a bit more.

I might look like I'm going into a war zone with a helmet and neck brace. ha ha.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,823 Mega Baller
    I wear the Scarpa bull collar.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • 501Brandon501Brandon Posts: 144 Baller
    Have you looked into the Leatt Brace that was introduced to motocross a few years back to prevent or reduce neck injuries? www.motosport.com or of course you can google leatt and see all about them.
    Brandon Atkinson
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,181 Mega Baller
    Ski racers use collars. I think Mapple used one for a while.
    There has to be some ski vests with built in collars for ski racers.
    Never really looked if it is on the vest or added separately.
    [Deleted User]
    @Klondike The leatt brace is designed to be worn with a full face motocross helmet. Don't think it would work with out it.
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,083
    This group of wackjobs on this site should probably wear helmets 24 hours a day. LOL
    Shane "Crash" Hill

@Klundell I wore it when I raced... I think it would work ok, my concern would be the amount of time it is wet. I would bet one of your local motorcycle dealers has one on the shelf you could try on.
    Brandon Atkinson
    I'll have to try it. I've been out of motocross a long time so I have never actually worn one.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,823 Mega Baller
    edited November 2011
    LOL, ShaneH!

-- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    @Klundell after posting the last post I went and looked and put it on... After fdoing that I dont know that it would be any benefit as it does have an enlarged area around the neck that without a helmet I dont know that it would do anything at all... Should have looked before I posted originally!
    Brandon Atkinson