Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New mirror from Protomet short review http://www.skiboatmirror.com/

HortonHorton Posts: 28,311 Administrator
edited January 2012 in Reviews
There has been talk here on the forum for a few weeks about the new mirror from Protomet http://www.skiboatmirror.com/

This is a waterski forum so how excited can we be about a boat mirror? I took the mirror to the lake today and put it on my friend Charlie's 196. It is "pretty" and well made. The mounting bracket is a marvel of modern CNC work but the question is do we really care? and Is it worth the money to upgrade your mirror?

There were four of us on the dock. The first two people that drove both commented that they found themselves staring in the mirror while they were driving. It was different enough that it was distracting. After a few passes it was not distracting, it was just better.

The short answer to all the questions is yes we were all very impressed. When in the course I personally do not look in the mirror much if at all. But when idling around between passes I like to always know where my skier is. This mirror gives the widest and clearest vision of what is behind me that I've ever seen.

If you spent $40-$60,000 on your boat I would say a few hundred dollars for superior mirror should be an easy choice.

If you don't have a third person to ski with and you watch your ski partner in the mirror, this is the best thing going.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 28,311 Administrator
    FYI the field of view in the above picture is a little off because I am further back in the boat + what ever my camera lens / focal length does.

Found out today that I mounted the mirror up side down. The bracket is right but I guess we will flip it next weekend.

• WishWish Posts: 7,893 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    John, I'd be interested to know at what line length does the mirror start to loose the skier. 32, 35, 38...... or man I sware I can see in front of the boat!! Looks a hell of alot better than my double mirror set up.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    I will not be back in a boat until this weekend ... thinking how to define field of view..

• colo_skiercolo_skier Posts: 784 Solid Baller
    Why not try wearing a go pro on your head and have it record what the mirror sees. Or mount it on a tripod behind the driver and point it at the mirror.
    Not sure I know what I am doing. The boat goes I follow. Trying to perfect the deep water start. Squirrel!
  • colo_skiercolo_skier Posts: 784 Solid Baller
    Forgot about the hair issue. Maybe have someone else wear it.
    Not sure I know what I am doing. The boat goes I follow. Trying to perfect the deep water start. Squirrel!
    cute

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,209 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited January 2012
    That's pretty cool...looking at that wake and boat path so clearly is killing me here in MN! Looks especially good with that windshield frame...wishing mine wasn't black.
    John, do you have to loosen anything to fold it down/forward or is it a smooth friction movement? We cover the 196 at "the swamp" so we push the mirror down and cover when we leave...pop it up when we return to ski. Thanks.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,847 Mega Baller
    The pivot assembly is one of the cool factors of the system. However it sits rather tall on the windshield extrusion. I wound up utilizing the clamp mount that came with my 200. Maybe they will re-design the pivot assembly to work with the clamp on the 200 and set it back somewhat like the OEM mirror mount. Also the mirror looks far better on the boat then the one it came with, and is far more functional.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• danbirchdanbirch Posts: 301 Baller
    edited February 2012
    It looks very cool! Which mirror/bracket assembly would be needed for a 2007 MC 197?
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,462 Crazy Baller
    edited February 2012
    This is from my 2011 MC. Best mirror I've ever used.

The mirror and the RTS-100 bracket. The MC windshield bracket fits the RTS-100.

http://www.skiboatmirror.com/store/#ecwid:category=1946203&mode=product&product=8366583

http://images-cdn.ecwid.com/images/873210/25278835.jpg
  • danbirchdanbirch Posts: 301 Baller
    Thanks, Chuck. Looks like it's about a $290 project. Hope to get one soon....
  • east tx skiereast tx skier Posts: 595 Solid Baller
    edited February 2012
    Sorry, but I need a real field of view. This shoots through schools and the tree outside. ;)

Perpetual Longline Baller. Tyler Ski Club, Tyler, Texas.
    My real name is in my profile.

www.tylerskiclub.com
    [Deleted User]
    @east Tx Skier

I use to have one of those but the desert heat caused the glue that holds the mirrors in place to soften and they kept falling out. Also was a pain to be able to use the walk through to the bow cause the mirror had to be removed.

edited February 2012
    The one I installed last last weekend replaced the kind of mirror east tx skier has. I like the new one better but I do like that style second best.

• skihartskihart Posts: 511 Solid Baller
    @Chuck Dickey He how is the vibration on the mirror using the stock MC mirror mount like that? My stocker has a bit of an issue even without the extra extension...
    I have not seen any issues the way it is mounted. The factory mirror has more vibration in my opinion but neither mirror have been any problem with vibration.

I wanted get the mirror in service before looking at the other windshield bracket
    Chuck, the walk through issue was a pain on my old boat with that mirror. I haven't used it in a while even with the closed bow. Not sure why. I put it up for sale last week, but every time I see it, I think about reinstalling it. I have a friend who uses one on his 91 SN and wouldn't have anything else. Those new ones look sweet, but I can't rationalize the price on my budget.

www.tylerskiclub.com
    [Deleted User]
    @east Texas

When I had that mirror, I had it for about a year before the heat got to the adhesive. I really liked the full view with out the wide angle distortion on the Cipa extreme or other factory mirrors. The fish eye distortion kinda makes me dizzy. This new mirror is very wide angle but no distortion what so ever.
    Like I said, it looks amazing. Just not in my budget. Never had much trouble with the mirror adhesive on the Rawley, even in Texas. Using the CIPA Extreme now and not bothered by the distortion.

www.tylerskiclub.com
    [Deleted User]
    I had the mirror upside down last weekend - see photo top of this post - we fixed it yesterday. Way better

• MattPMattP Posts: 6,034 Mega Baller
    @Horton I take it the mirror did not come with directions?.... or did you fail to read them?
    @MattP As you and @TheKrista know I do not ready anything

@Horton I know.. you should see the last email I sent you...
    I can't find my iPod touch so I am avoiding all your emails

@Horton Well there was more in that email than just stuff about your iPod, but whatever its not important.

Note to everyone if you want @Horton to read an email you send him put in the subject line: I would not open this at work! and keep the body of the message to one line two max.
    Two line Max is true. I assume anything longer has to be posted on the front page and I will email asking for logos and photos.

• tjmtjm Posts: 331 Baller
    John, which mirror is the picture, "Elite", or "Pro"?
    plastic case. I think that is the only diff. that and it was upside down for the photo

• ski4xtcski4xtc Posts: 193 Solid Baller
    UPS just delivered my new mirror from PTM Edge. I can't wait to put it on our boat. I set the mirror outside to take a photo to send to my boat partner and it was like everything was in high definition. They have clearly put some thought into both the mirror and bracket. At first, I was a little hesitant to buy an additional mirror but I can clearly see this is a no brainier. I wonder what it would take to get the boat manufactures to put these mirrors on from the start?