Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Binding Placement getting tougher.

WishWish Posts: 7,834 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited January 2012 in Skis Fins Bindings
In testing a ski with my boot system I realized that the measurement from the front boot heal to tail of ski is not really accurate across boot manufacture's different systems (and there are many now a days). To measure one boot, lets say a rubber D3 or Willey, is different than a hard shell as to where the human heal actually resides. I even would go so far as to say it is different from hard shell to hard shell. And then there is HO's rail system. We have calipers, slot calipers (digital or not), wing angle gauges, fin-a-majiges and so on that allows us to make micro adjustments to fins and wing angles that do make a difference in ski performance. Most if not all ski manufactures use and publish such numbers based on above tools. Nick Parsons wrote an article on boot placement and I had a chance to get schooled on it by him in person. Wish I had listened better but still learned the significant importance and how very small increments of boot placement can make a huge difference in the attitude of the ski. If this is the case how are we to know what 29.5" from the tail really is if the boots are all different in where the skiers heal really is? We don't all use the same manufacture for the ski and the boot.

My thought is to have the manufacture place a mark on whatever boot plate is used to secure the boot to the ski. From this mark, measurements to tail can be made and published. Measurement from the mark to the actual human not boot heal would be standard across manufactures.

What are you thoughts, ideas?
>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<

Comments

• Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,117
    Goode does have a Notch on the Powershell Binding Plate to line up the heel and the ski. It's a good reference, but I still prefer measuring from the back boot heel to the tail of the ski.
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,554 Crazy Baller
    The way I changed from rubber bindings to hard shells was to measure where my ankle bone was on the ski and mark it. Then I just adjusted the hard shell plate so my ankle bone was in the same spot. When I measured the distance to tail, it was different than the measurement with the rubber bindings. I always recommend using the ankle method to others when they're about to change...
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    [Deleted User]
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,052
    Ankle bone method is always what I use. For both front to tail and front to rear separation.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,128 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Here's the evidence I'm not really OCD (helps me sleep at night). I try the bindings in the middle set of holes, and if it needs to go back try the next set of holes back and the same for forward adjust.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,039
    @6balls, no offense but, some plates are fully slotted (like my FM plate) and others have velcro, just saying. So some do have to use a common reference point.
    Bob Grizzi
    [Deleted User]
  • WishWish Posts: 7,834 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    That's my point. None of us should have to come up with techniques, tricks, ways to mesure. It's to critical.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,741 Administrator
    agree

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,128 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Skibug, good point and no offense taken. I'm a simple one still in fixed plates, rubber bindings and a toe loop.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die