Some old footage of CP - food for thought

HortonHorton Posts: 27,150 Administrator
edited February 2012 in Technique & Theory

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 27,150 Administrator
    We were talking about CP at the lake today. His lack of body movement and chin/shoulder height at the ball are very note worthy.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

More to the point Billy B and I both worked on trying to ski how we envision how CP skis. Part of the reason that I focus on CP is I think his skiing us easier to understand... no crazy movements.

• DanEDanE Posts: 871 Crazy Baller
    edited February 2012
    I just think he skis the way he has to.
    Such a big guy isn´t likely to be successful twisting his body into a pretzel (aka Marcus or JB), just mho.
    I got a 12 year old son who´s probably going to end up at that size and I encourage him to watch and learn from CP.
    Two things:
    MB is not a pretzel. Maybe a few years ago but not currently. I am not sure if he was as radical back in the day as people think.

Why would you want to be a pretzel?

• DanEDanE Posts: 871 Crazy Baller
    Don´t twist my words into a pretzel, you know what I mean.
    Just saying that a big guy is better off with minimal movement, something I think CP displays to near perfection.
    I hear you. I just think a lot of skiers misunderstand what the elite skiers are doing. If anyone has been misinterpreted over the years it is MB.

To me CP should be the starting place. If a skier can roughly ski like CP and then wants try to ski more like Smith that may work.

What if I do not want to be yelled at?

• BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 6,028
    You're married. You should be used to it, John. :)
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• MattPMattP Posts: 5,979 Mega Baller
    I wonder if Lucky yells at CP like he yells at everyone else.
    @MattP What do you think? We are talking about Lucky...

• BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 6,028
    I skied with Lucky once. There was a guy there(thankfully not me!) who he was yelling at. The guy got out of the water and told Lucky...... "Do you know what kind of ski this is? It's the kind that I'm going to knock your a$$ out with if you raise your voice at me again. " And then he went and got in his truck and drove off. It was hysterical. I don't think he even paid him. hahaha
    Shane "Crash" Hill

I would pay for video of that

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,346 Mega Baller
    Are you SURE that wasn't you Shane? I don't actually know you, but that would seem to fit your "BOS persona"...

That musta been damn funny in any case.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,979 Mega Baller
    There are so many of those stories out there. I heard a ton this summer from people all over the country. If you can stand it Lucky is a great coach
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I've watched the from the boat video of that set hundreds of times. I think CP's stance of being tall and stacked works really well if you give it a try. I'm not his size (6ft), but there is a noticable difference in my leverage and ease of gaining speed if I just concentrate on standing tall on my ski and maintaining that tall stance when I lean.

I have also had the pleasure of being yelled at by Lucky . . . I learned a lot, but it takes thick skin to ski with that guy.
    Jim Ross
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,629 Mega Baller
    I pulled Chris yesterday at Dr Morgans lake . Too bad I was busy with the driving chores as I would have liked to watch. He ran 4 at 41 straight up, darn good for the middle of February . He rode in the boat today while I skied, I am sure he has never seen any thing like that before as he was speechless! No, Really he gave me some solid coaching and something different to work on next time out. I all-way's enjoy my interactions with Chris he has a lot of energy that seems to be infectious to all around.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

@Jody Seal
    Did CP suggest Golf?

• Steven_HainesSteven_Haines Posts: 1,019 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    What is CP skiing on these days?
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,466 Mega Baller
    I, too, am a solid Lucky fan. He may not be the world's greatest communicator, but he knows what he is talking about and he knows how to make you a better skier. Going to Lucky is not for the faint of heart; it is not for the skier who wants to get better; it is for the skier who is determined to get better. He may give you a hard time, but I believe only for two reasons: 1) He wants you to improve; and 2) He thinks it will motivate you to improve. Lucky's coach was Jim McCormick, and, speaking from experience, Jim could be pretty tough as well.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Don't know if this works, but this is the link to CP shot from the boat. Notice how tall he is before his turn in, and notice how he does all of his work before the first wake. He hooks up, loads it pretty good and builds his angle, then he is unloading already at the first wake. Also notice that like Brooks talks about, there is constant movement. It is all connected in one big smooth process rather than a turn, lean, pre-turn, turn, lean, pre-turn.

Jim Ross
    Just for fun, this is Andy running 28 thru 41 from the boat in 2009. He appears to both load the boat with more force, and he holds his edge longer, resulting in very high speed at the ball.

Jim Ross

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file