Ice out

The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,844 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
edited March 2012 in Technique & Theory
We went from 4 inches of ice to 4 foot rollers running down the lake today. Nice. Looks like a very early start to the 2012 spring season.
[Deleted User]

Comments

• Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,345 Crazy Baller
    Gonna be low/mid 70's all next week here in the Great Plains. I'm leaving voice mails with my community lake buddies who didn't pull their courses over the winter to see who's starting skiing. Hoping to get an earlier start here this season as well Mark. I'm ready!
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    [Deleted User]
  • jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,381 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ice? What's that?
    Joe Darwin
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,549 Mega Baller
    JD,
    Check your glass!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    ToddL
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,782 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    One of my friends called from Utah today to tell me they are putting the course in this weekend. You can still drive a truck on our ice.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    [Deleted User]
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    ice is gone in Indiana!
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 6,081 Mega Baller
    Just in from 3 days in San Diego, looking forward to sunrise tomorrow to see what we have for ice. I understand it's been warm the last few days, and MS' lake must be open so can't be long.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • sixballsixball Posts: 280 Baller
    I think we will be open by Wednesday. This could be a record breaker in mid MI.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,844 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I was thinking it would be tuesday after looking at it yesterday morning. By 4pm, not much left. The wind is blowing at 20 but with temps in the 60s, we will put the balls on the missing subs today. @ED, how much ice do you get down there?
    @6balls did you get some sets out in SAN?
    [Deleted User]
    @MS, no such luck. Geoff originally thought it sounded fine but life got busy, boat wasn't ready etc so he had to scratch. Great few days of weather, had some good food and drink.
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,345 Crazy Baller
    @MS I don't think it ever more than just crusted over a bit for a few days, otherwise not much at all. This has been the warmest winter I can recall here in east Kansas, we've only had snow cover the ground briefly maybe twice? I fear we'll pay for it later in severe thunder storms and wind but we'll see. March definitely coming in like a lion here so maybe later part of the month the wind will die off. Hopefully.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    [Deleted User]
    @scotchipmanscotchipman Jeff Volmrich, from Park City. He is relatively new to the Utah water ski scene.
    [Deleted User]
  • nate93nate93 Posts: 67 Baller
    Got on the lake here in Erie, PA yesterday. Water was 40 air was 55. Great fun!
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Hate to say it, but I'm not ready. Haven't ordered my permit yet, haven't done an equipment inventory, boat still in storage, and I'm still in rehab from neck surgery. Of all the years to have early ice out, this wasn't the one where I could take advantage of it.
    Jim Ross
    My ice is still a few days out. Off this week, painting the dock and converting my lift to electric power. After 14 years of telling myself I would never buy a canopy I broke down and bought one. MS, did you ski yet??
    Balls are in and water is very close to 50 already. Strong south winds and high temps warm our lake quick.
    [Deleted User]
    @thager, I am home all week so if it gets calm, lets ski. I have not skied yet due to wind.
    [Deleted User]
    If I can work my honey do's I'm there!
    i will let you know.
    [Deleted User]
  • jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,381 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    water is very close to 50 already

Celsius or Fahrenheit?
    Joe Darwin
    klindy
    F
    [Deleted User]
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,830 Mega Baller
    water temp. was 45 yesterday @ the broho, we were able to sneak in a quick set between the rain & snow showers
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    [Deleted User]
  • galejangalejan Posts: 14 Baller
    Cant mesure the water temp yet, cant get thru the ice, probably 15cm thick :((
    But our new SN 200 has arrived so it cant be far away (I hope)
    @galejan, the anticipation w/that new 200 has to be fantastic. I'm envious of you and any other ballers w/a new one in their driveway or on their lift.
  • boarditupboarditup Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    Ice out, first slalom course in on Bay 1! Jump when the water warms up further. First event May 12 or so.
    Karl DeLooff - Powered by the wind
    [Deleted User]
  • east tx skiereast tx skier Posts: 598 Solid Baller
    Just replaced the spark plugs and impeller. Put some brake fluid in the trailer and rubbed a little oil on the platform. It must be spring! Yeehaw, we're heading for the lake for the rest of the week!
    Perpetual Longline Baller and curvy ski boat owner.
    My real name is in my profile.

[Deleted User]
    @scotchipmanscotchipman I am not sure which lake. I believe it is the same lake that Parsons and Rossi ski on, but I could be wrong about that. Jeff is a big guy with a bald head, big smile and easy laugh. You can't miss him. He has just found his way back to the sport after a few decade layoff.
    [Deleted User]
    Ice will be gone by Midnight. Boat comes home to roost tomorrow morning.
  • sixballsixball Posts: 280 Baller
    Lake will be open in the morning but, I am going north to repair damage to our cabin from last weeks big snow. We will be in late next week. YA HO!!!!!!!!
    This will be the earliest ever for us.
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,204 Mega Baller
    we should be in shorts by the weekend
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    this weather is crazy- we went out again last night and the water temp is already in the 50s and the water was glass. air temps are going to be in the 70s for the next week.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior