Softer Gate

HortonHorton Posts: 32,395 Administrator
edited March 2012 in Technique & Theory
If I had a dollar for every time someone has told me to go softer on my gates I could buy a case of good imported or micro brew beer.

I understand that I need to be lighter on the line. Lean less... For some reason this is a struggle for me. Anyone have a different way to think about this?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

Comments

• 94009400 Posts: 646 Crazy Baller
    move slooower, try not to try, turn the intensity dial down, don't be in a hurry, try not to get to 1, don't spike the load, be lighter, don't lean so much, go 5 on a 10 scale, sneak up on the gate, hide from the boat.........sorry I thought it was a contest.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 7,043 Mega Baller
    edited March 2012
    The closest thing I have to a secret is that this whole "softer gate" thing really only applies when it is set up properly. If I don't make a concerted effort for a long slow pullout, get as high as I can on the boat, begin the turn with a strong knee bend movement, AND make sure to complete the turn-in before loading, then a softer gate doesn't work.

If I DO do those things, then all I have to do is transition into handle control mode sooner -- almost as early as the centerline.

I hate to call it ending my pull, because that makes me think about standing up and starting a turn, which I don't want to do. I want to stay down and maintain control of the handle near my body, but no longer focus on leveraging against the boat.

In the past, I've done this right about 0.1% of the time. Last year I really worked on it, and I think I might have increase it a hundred fold to about 10%...
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    ski6jonesdanbirch
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    I also think a lot of this has to do with the speed you are carrying when you initiate your angle toward the gates. If my speed matches the boat speed when I initiate my angle towards the gate, I feel light on the line. Too little speed by default leads to a harder gate for me
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    jimbrake
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,328 Mega Baller
    edited March 2012
    I could be totally wrong here I am no skiing theorist but if you are free of the boat in your glide and are able to turn in with a more gradual turn loading the line gradually as well , setting into position and try not to fight the boat you should be early and ok to 1 ball. remember gates to 1 is longer than 1 to 2 so try to stay quiet and easy on the ski or relaxed..

People tell me to go easier on my gates and when I think about the above and just stay relaxed I usually run the pass with ease. I do do a 2 handed gate, @Horton If I remember correctly you are a 1 handed.

wow I hope that is coherent if not just disregard
  • RynoRyno Posts: 252 Baller
    @Horton you do a one handed pre gate turn right?

I have always stuck to two handed as it's easier to control loading the line, and ultimately your speed through the gates.
    Ryan McGill - South Coast, New South Wales, Australia
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,395 Administrator
    One handed. Pull our when the green balls pass the back of the boat. Try to keep shoulders level and go soft out. Maybe I just brain freeze when I see those two orange balls.

Jungle Jim from WaterSkiCostaRica talked to me a lot about how I have too much water speed at one so I am thinking a lot about it.

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

danbirch
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,560 Mega Baller
    Turn in for gate wo using rope tension (takes lots of timing). Take your time getting into your max lean thru gate (let the load pic u up later rather than earlier). This should lead u into wide and early path w lots of space and speed! I know u are a bit challenged and like to over complicate things but K.I.S.S. counts for skiing also!
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
    [Deleted User]danbirch
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,844 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    A progressive pull out and a progressive pull to the edge change on the gate roll in. Dont bring any more speed then you need to run all 6.
    [Deleted User]
  • tsixamtsixam Posts: 372 Baller
    I´ve got a tip from a coach at Lacanau that helped me a lot. When you have all the basics set, high on the boat, the same speed as the boat and your cm in the right place. Just point the ski in the direction you want to go and let the boat do the work. Don´t try to take more angle or load on the way. It´s much like a bow and arrow. Once you have let the arrow go you can´t change the flight of it. Does it make any sense?
    Tsixam
    danbirch
    Nice tsixam, he may get that
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
  • ralral Posts: 2,010 Mega Baller
    edited March 2012
    You need to follow the best.

Take a look at Nate's gate. See it several times in slow motion. Repeat it until you realize there is no way on earth you can do that gate.

Then go to the lake and try something else...
    Rodrigo Andai
    Hortontsixam[Deleted User]
    @ral sounds like some Luck Lowe advice to me.. I think it went something like this
    - You see how Andy skis?
    -Yes
    -Okay now forget all of that because you will never be able to do what he does
    I think @brooks hit it on the head. I said the same thing or I thought it.... he just said it better...
    MattP <> brooks

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,174 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Horton, I think "softer" is a terrible description for how to approach the gates. It just sets the wrong mental image of a wimpy pull. "Strong, smooth and controlled" is how I would phrase it.

Brooks' description is excellent if you can get it through your thick head.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    [Deleted User]Horton
    edited March 2012
    @Horton watch it. and I think what you were going for was MattP<(is less than)Brooks ... get with the times and lingo. Or were you trying to say MattP is less than brooks; and MattP is greater than brooks, could also be interpreted as MattP=Brooks. Wait did I just dis myself in my own comment?
    I was just saying not equal but I like less than better.

Brooks and Bruce hit it dead on.
    [Deleted User]
  • brooksbrooks Posts: 215 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @MS horton told me I needed to start making fun of you when I post, that will never happen if you keep agreeing with what I tell people!
    @mattp > Brooks purely because he makes awesome apps like ballofscores
    MattP
    @Brooks thanks! There is some more cool stuff in the works as well.
    "Brooks Rocks"
    @Horton your antics did not work on a smart young lad and fellow Strada rider.
    [Deleted User]
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,616 Mega Baller
    I agree with Bruce. Sit in the boat and watch Nate, Andy, or any of the Big Dawg skiers and come back and tell me they are light on the line... You want the turn-in to be free of line tension (or light tension at most), but behind the boat you should be strong.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    [Deleted User]
    Don't waste ur breath, Horton prolly isn't even reading this, he's a bonehead, that comment won't even get a resPonse
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,754 Mega Baller
    I agree, as usually, with Bruce. If yer doing a one- hander, it should feel similiar to the 2 ball. I call it thezero ball. Otherwise, your faking it. Get out there like a man, don't look at the orange ones cuz that means you rotate, set your hip and don't ever, ever say, "Soft gates", again. Shame on you.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    [Deleted User]
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,372
    The discussion of being light on the line has never meant anything without detailing where to be light on the line. Not to mention, rope tension is a function of what happens before you turn in. That's why I always laughed to see people just barely skiing and saying they were perfecting being light on the line or hiding from ZO. As Roger said, the Elite skiers are anything but light on the line at the first wake. Even the women. You watch Regina from the boat and she is raging from the first wake to the centerline. Trent's article on the front page is a great tie in to this discussion.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

I think there is a misconception of what light on the line actually means. It doesn't mean that you are "soft" or not pulling on the boat. The idea behind being light on the line is that you are not loading the rope in an immediate manner. Being "light" comes from building your speed progressively. You can pull as hard as you want but if you build all your speed in a gradual manner it is theoretically light on the line.
    [Deleted User]Than_BoganRpc29
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,372
    Exactly. A lot of people think it means to pull like a 6 year girl everywhere. You can do that through 28 and 32. You can't do that as the rope gets shorter.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

No 6 year old girl pulling people!! no offense to any 6 year old girls that frequent this forum
    [Deleted User]