Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US Gear Rope Loops - Cool Stuff

HortonHorton Posts: 30,560 Administrator
edited May 2012 in Reviews

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

KeownFILMSBroussarddanbirch

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,910 Mega Baller
    That is a really cool design innovation! That could possibly tempt me to change rope suppliers.

Especially relevant because I often have kids in the boat and (while it's never actually happened), I'm always just a hair paranoid that the rope will come off. Because of that I insist that no kids touch, hold, or have their feet in the spare rope that's in the boat. But that design would really put me at ease. That ain't comin' off.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Broussard
  • Nick SullivanNick Sullivan Posts: 676 Baller
    Horton,
    I broke my last Brenda Rope tonight and need to order a new one. What rope model (part number) is that in your video?
  • danbirchdanbirch Posts: 301 Baller
    Very Cool, John!
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,123
    Is that a patented design or can other manufacturer's copy that? Just curious. It will be interesting to see if other rope suppliers try this. I have fidded ropes before and it seems like such a simple idea. I am surprised it has not been done before. Kudos to US Gear. I love my US Gear handle and when I need a new rope next year; this will be my purchase.
    Bob Grizzi
  • GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 356 Solid Baller
    Tremendous innovation and great idea. One note though, People might be experiencing ropes coming off their pylons because they may be putting them on in a way, in MHO, that is flawed.

I was always taught during my tournament boat driver days, that you take the part of the rope on the skier side of the loop and push that into the loop forming another loop and put that onto the pylon. Putting the loop simply over the pylon seems always to me to be quite loose and prone to come off.

The ultimate though is a system that Brent and Julien use where a fixed portion or length of the rope is attached to the pylon and that section has at its attachment end a strong carabiner. That will never come off.

I must say though that the rope design above is cool and I bet effective in preventing nasty skier injuries. And... not to mention injuries to judges, watchers etc that experience the "too unpleasant to think of" injury resulting from a rope coming off the pylon and possible under their feet or worse.

I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
    Order placed, I hope it doesn't take long to get here. Our nice weather just showed up yesterday!
  • jlittlejlittle Posts: 261 Baller
    We are in need of a couple new ropes so, I showed the video to my #1 rope changer, boat driver, support team etc. and she (the wife) has a question. Well her first question was, "why did he cut the video short by not showing how to get the rope off the pylon and change line lengths?" So that's her question. She wants to be as efficient as possible when she's the only one in the boat doing all the tasks.

I suspect, and told her, you probably just pull on the previous line length (28 off in your video) to loosen. And I also I tried to reassure her we could figure it out once we got the rope. However... & apparently... my 20+ year track record of trying to explain these type of things to her, has her convinced the rope will never be able to be removed from the pylon. Go figure.

So, a brief explaination please. For me. Please.
  • SMSM Posts: 529 Crazy Baller
    That's a really cool innovation.
    Time spent on the water is time well spent.
    Nevermind. Got my question answered by a video Zippy posted in another thread.
  • thompjsthompjs Posts: 541 Solid Baller
    Looks cool, TC committee is going to test spectra version for elongation spec.

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,589 Mega Baller
    everything you really need to know can be found in a "zippy video" .......
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    I think US Gears investment in supporting BOS has paid off. They are slammed with orders and are working long hours to fill those orders. Thats pretty cool Horton.
    MattP
  • Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 649 Crazy Baller
    Richard,

Where is the zippy video?
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    just ordered 1

A_B
    @Krlee - all my stuff goes on youtube, search "doanere" for my channel
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,267
    @richarddoane....Did you get the Reg. Rope or the Non-Stretch Rope and how does it feel?
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    @edjohnson , it's a regular rope, I've skied it at -15 and it feels great, I've gotten rid of all my "switch" ropes, too much confusion issues, had a rough Feb/March and then finally figured out I was skiing on a "short" rope, that .5 meter makes a difference - duh!
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    do people buy the 90 dollar rope or the 150? 150 seems like a lot.
    Jim Ross
    I ordered the non stretch rope and then my ski partner said it was a bad idea since I wouldn't be getting that rope in a tournament. I called and changed my order to two of the standard rope.
    That was my thought. Will go with the standard
    Jim Ross
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,465 Crazy Baller
    Question-- Are these ropes dead on measurements? If they need adjusting to be accurate I see a problem for a dumba** like me.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • randydyarrandydyar Posts: 10 Baller
    Hey Ballers, Randy Dyar / US Gear here to answer some of your questions. Never done this before but sure this will help...
    I will answer in several segments so will not get too lengthily.
    #1- you should never need to re-adjust any US Gear Mainline unless you are a Pro that needs every inch. That being said, we can fine tune any mainline to suit any needs.
    Our Mainline jig is set up to AWSA Specs from the negative end @ 44 lbs of pressure. Each Mainline is fabricated from this Jig and after the break in period should be center to AWSA Specs.
    So many people has told me that our mainlines are approx 4" Short compared to others. This was measured well before any break in took placed. When any mainline leaves the factory, it is in tolerance to AWSA Specs and will remain in tolerance guaranteed for 1 year.
    Now if any one does have an issue with any of our products, we need to hear from you.... The only way we can produce the best is listening to you...
    Ski ya
    danbirchNick Sullivan
    @randydyar - I checked my rope after a couple months use and it needs adjusting, should I just return it to where I purchased it, or send it back to you guys ?
    Just ordered my first two -- will report back with any signifcant findings.
    Jim Ross
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 983 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So if I took all the loops and lenghtened them I would have a really long rope.
    No thanks, I'll stay with Masterline !!
    I just got my US Gear mainline (standard) this week. I put a good stretch on it for 25-30 minutes (~300lbs). Let is relax for 10 mins or so. Then put another good stretch on it and let it relax. Put the 44lbs on it and it measured within 1/2-1" short of actual at all loops. At this point I presume with a little skiing it will settle in and end up near actual. I'm pretty happy right now.

Truthfully I've been buying my mainlines from Brenda for quite a few years and they've been great. I thought I'd try/test this mainline because of the way the loops are mfr'd and it will be used in a "club" boat. If something ends up wacky in the next month I'll report back. It's appears to be a good quailty mainline.

@richarddoane I'm guessing your rope is long?

@skierjp If you took the loops on any mfrs rope and lengthend them you would have a long rope. I'm confused. Want to clarify what you're thinking?
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 983 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    You can't lengthen the loops on a Masterline rope.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,910 Mega Baller
    That failed to clarify... :) Are you trying to say the ability to adjust a rope is a problem??
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan