Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Handle control and Abs

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,809 Mega Baller
edited May 2012 in Technique & Theory
Is it my imagination or does a focus on handle control seem to use a lot of "unusual" abdominal muscles?

I do a variety of ab work during the winter, but this season I am really starting out focused on handle control and I feel like I'm more sore in my abs than almost anywhere else as I'm ramping up.

Anybody have exercises to recommend (perhaps for next winter)?
Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan

Comments

• thagerthager Posts: 5,046 Mega Baller
    edited May 2012
    I'd go to the cupboard and take two Midols. Always helps when I have ramps. Seriously though, I know what you mean. Slalom really works the core muscles and I'm sure mine are sore too. Hard to tell when all my other muscles are screaming too!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Yes. If you are going to keep your handle in close and low, you have to engage your core to maintain your position on the ski and to keep the line tight as you are moving out to the buoy line.
    Jim Ross
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,809 Mega Baller
    I need an easier sport... :)
  • HortonHorton Posts: 29,731 Administrator
    Thinking too hard

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

MattP
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,809 Mega Baller
    I agree. Thinking too hard is definitely an easier sport!
    brooks
  • RichRich Posts: 272 Solid Baller
    The better you become you will realize that core stregnth is very important. As I have learned to stay stacked
    my core is what gets the most sore. Do pilates, Bikram Yoga. 4-6 X's per week and you will be amazed. Of course this needed to start in Nov 2011 if you wanted to have a great 2012 season! Good Luck!
  • xratedxrated Posts: 506 Solid Baller
    I second yoga.

IMO the best ab workout I have ever found is decline bench situps with medicine ball throws. Add in some twists for the obliques, some planks and if you really want to feel like you are gonna puke do some hanging leg raises.
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 762 Crazy Baller
    Athlean-x is an app for the i-phone it has great abd work outs and hits the core in just about every way. OB's version works also.
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,237
    Agree with OB....plus my Wifes Honey-Do list outperforms any workout !!!
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!