Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neilly Ross - Slalom is easy. What is the big deal?

HortonHorton Posts: 28,515 Administrator
edited May 2012 in Videos, Photos & Media

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

konadanbirch

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 28,515 Administrator
    edited May 2012
    It may be genetic

• crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    wow if I could emulate her glide out and move for the gate I'd be in pretty good shape.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
  • dthatedthate Posts: 153 Baller
    watched her from the boat last summer, amazing skiing and attitude, sorta like dear old dad
  • WishWish Posts: 7,920 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I think Drew could tell you in detail what each person in the boat is wearing and doing. His eyes are locked on the boat almost to the second wake.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • dthatedthate Posts: 153 Baller
    he pulled me two passes stopped and said your not using a wing and your bindings are ahead about two holes, I was on an old goode 9200 white top and he was correct.....hhmmm
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 937 Crazy Baller
    Wow!!!! unreal little girl!!!
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    Anyone know what ski and what size she is on?
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    Looks like an Elite, which makes sence. Guessing a 64 or 65. Looks taller than her.
    Yes she is on jr elite

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,543 Mega Baller
    Out of curiosity, any clue what the speed/length are there?

That is pretty amazing to watch. Wow.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • drewdrew Posts: 82 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Neilly is riding a 62" Jr Elite, which is actually a little smaller than 62". I really like the Jr Elites for the smaller kids, as they are steady and forgiving, unlike many of the other high-end junior skis, which have livelier bevels and PVC cores.
    Neilly weighs just over 70 lbs, so she could still be on the 59, but she found she liked the feel of the bigger ski. Set-up is fairly crucial, as it is dependent upon weight and performance level of the skier.
    Bulldog
    edited May 2012
    @drew thanks my girl Sienna is 13 and weighs the same skiing -15 21-25mph and skiing the 59 or 62? obrien Jr Allegence. I have not done anything on set up other than move the rear toe closer to the heal of the frnt boot. Was Neilly on the jr allegience before the Elite? If So any suggestions on set up would be great we ski shallow colder water in Utah.
    Thanks
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    Mark, check the length of the ski as well as the binding placement numbers and let me know.
    Neilly was skiing the junior allegiance before the junior elite.
    Thanks Drew will get back soon!!!!
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    @Drew how did you get her to keep her hips up like that and stay so open to the boat? That's what I can't seem to teach my just turned 13yr old. any advice would be great. Am in the Orlando area (skied Hancock tourneys many many times). Do you teach kids as well?
  • DALDAL Posts: 33 Baller
    Wow, she gets airborne through the gates....
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited May 2012
    Neilly slaloms this well AND is setting world records on her trick ski. Genetic? Probably, but she is out on the water every day after school, rain, wind, cold and all. Neilly is earning these achievements the good old fashioned way, with great coaching, supportive family and TONS of dedicated hard work.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    Brady
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,749 Mega Baller
    @ Drew, Curious as to why you returned to the two hand gate?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    @drew My girl is weighing 85lbs her ski is a 62 and from heal of frnt boot i get 27 1/8.
    Thanks, Mark
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,046
    @thager, in the video he is using a 1 handed gate. Neilly is using and two handed gate though.
    Bob Grizzi
    Mark,
    27 1/8 is good on this ski. 2.475 is a good fin depth, and not too long (6.720 jaws).
    The anamoly is dft--when she moved from the 59 to the 62, the fin needed to go a fair ways forward (.110" from her 59 location). 1" from tail
    MattP
    As the skier grows, the fin can move back...
    @drew thanks a bunch!!!! i will check measurements tonight and see where its at.
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • boarditupboarditup Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    When I grow up, I want to ski like her!
    Karl DeLooff - Powered by the wind
    @boarditup from what I have seen she is a lot more mature that you...

MattP
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,094
    @Wish In relationship to your question about teaching your daughter, Charles Mueller was having that discussion just yesterday with a skier he was coaching while I was driving. The skier asked how he could learn to ski open. Charles reply was he shouldn't try to ski open just to ski open as it's an instinct thing. He said of all the skiers he had coached over the years, they each had an instinct for their shoulder and hip position relative to the boat course and that you could teach them within a range to ski more or less open. But that someone who skis closed would never be able to learn to ski extremely open like Neilly. And vice versa. He said the trick is figuring out how to maximize a given skiers skiing without pushing them too far out of that envelope which could be a detriment to their performance later as the passes get harder and they go back to their instinctual skiing. It would be interesting to hear Drew's take on that in regards to how he teaches Neilly and other youths.

FWIW, Marc Austin raves about the coaching that Drew has done with Bailey Austin over the last few years.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,543 Mega Baller
    @ShaneH Definitely agree on openness. There's a range that is "wrong" but there's also a range that is "right" and that depends on individual body mechanics.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited May 2012
    Gordon Rathbun is on a personal crusade to prove that nearly all the top skiers ski less open than they preach by showing photos of how closed their shoulders are to the boat approaching and through the wakes. He'll have a hard time finding a photo of Neilly like that.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    MrB
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,574 Mega Baller
    Gordon Rathbun is on a personal crusade to prove that nearly all the top skiers ski less open than they preach by showing photos of how closed their shoulders are to the boat approaching and through the wakes. He'll have a hard time finding a photo of Neilly like that.

Or Nate...
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    Or Rossi or Marcus or T whisper or Parrish or Will or etc etc etc
    Ski it if you can!!!!