Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about skiing physics lead to more buoys?

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,808 Mega Baller
edited May 2012 in Technique & Theory
Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan

Thinking about skiing physics lead to more buoys? 42 votes

It almost always leads to more buoys
19%
auskiertsixamski6jonesswerveitEd_Johnson6ballsRazorskier1mwetskier 8 votes
It often leads to more buoys
30%
scotchipmandisland35 in the bagrodaForrestGumpThan_BoganBobFMarkTimmski4xtcTylerRWishjackskiSkiJay 13 votes
I don't think about skiing physics
21%
[Deleted User]LZywicki1Chef23Ham_WallaceKelvin9400Deanoskiraynpugs 9 votes
I think about it, but it doesn't help my skiing
16%
DekethagerDanEskier2788scupperszplolskihart 7 votes
It often leads to fewer buoys
9%
CamJim Neelybmiller3536The_MS 4 votes
It almost always leads to fewer buoys
2%
MattP 1 vote

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,808 Mega Baller
    Nerd roll call! :)
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,039 Mega Baller
    Bazinga!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • jayskijayski Posts: 955 Mega Baller
    Thinking is a small part, understanding and application is imperative...
    SkiJay
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    I'm thinking about it... I think it's helping my skiing... it's shooting me through the entrance gate... it's not leading to more buoys... yet!
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    It often helps, but not always. I've "thought" myself into a few blind alleys.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    Than_Bogan
  • thompjsthompjs Posts: 542 Solid Baller
    Either way it leads to fewer buoys for me now.

• TaperflexTaperflex Posts: 58 Baller
    As a friend of mine states quite often, you can get "paralysis by analysis".
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,056 Mega Baller
    I think about technique but I don't think about it as physics. I realize angle and speed are physics but I don't think about it that way.
    Mark Shaffer
  • DekeDeke Posts: 395 Baller
    It gives you something to do when you're not skiing.
    Than_Bogan
  • raynrayn Posts: 403 Solid Baller
    I have enough to think about already
    Ray Newmark -
  • pugspugs Posts: 18 Baller
    I haven't thought about physics since high school, and that was over 40 years ago.
    Frank Smith - Champions Lake - Clermont, FL
    edited May 2012
    @chef23 Yeah, that's part of what I was wondering with this poll.

One thing that sometimes holds me back in any athletic endeavor is that I can't do something until I understand WHY. This is true even when the source of the advice is the world's leading expert -- I just have some weird mental block where my body won't do it until I've understood why it should help.

On the other hand, this over-analysis is sometimes helpful and I think it also makes me a better coach (at least for certain audience) because general physics can apply to anyone's skiing, and form a basis to help them tune up their technique, as opposed to just telling them to do exactly what I'm doing.

I'm actually pretty surprised at how positively the respondents view their time thinking about skiing physics. I was expecting most to consider it a waste of time. (Btw, the respondents may be wrong -- just because they think it helped them doesn't mean it actually did...)
  • tsixamtsixam Posts: 371 Baller
    If you can visualize it, there’s a good chance you can do it..
    Tsixam
  • 94009400 Posts: 644 Crazy Baller
    I find that during a skiing conversation, if the word physics comes up my brain shuts down. I think in terms of execution of techniques that make the process of skiing easier for me...which is physics...I just don't think of it by name because it complicates my simple mind.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,056 Mega Baller
    @Than Bogan I am a bit more of an intuitive athlete who learns by watching then trying to emulate rather than an analytic one. If I have too many thoughts in my head I get tangled up and don't do anything well.
    Mark Shaffer
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,599 Mega Baller
    There are two physics "rules" I never forget: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (this can be used in a positive and negative); To go a greater distance in the same amount of time (let's say 16 to 17 seconds...) one must go faster.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    SkiJay
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,482 Mega Baller
    @than - don't think, just ski
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I try to save my thinking for when I'm on land. When I'm on the water I don't want to have more than one thought in my head at a time. Anything more and I have the "thinking too much splashdown".
    Jim Ross
    Exactly what @Razorskier1 said. The reason to think so hard on land is because there simply isn't time in the course.

Then again, thinking is all I have. Take that away and I'm just weak and a mediocre athlete with maybe above average dedication.
    SkiJay
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    @Than -- you have to come to MN and ski sometime!
    Jim Ross
    @Razorskier That really does sound like fun! Lotta "like minds" out there it seems.

Hard to imagine where I'm gonna fit that, but my older daughter has been pretty interested in smallmouth and nothern pike recently. (She got some brochure from a place in Canada and got mildly obsessed.)