Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help w/38

MarcoMarco Posts: 1,426 Crazy Baller
edited July 2012 in Technique & Theory
After missing much of the last 2 seasons from injury, I am finally back to running a good percentage of my 35's (55K), but am banging my head against the wall at 2 at 38. I just can't come out of 2 with good angle most of the time. What can you get away with at 35 but not at 38??

I'm LFF, back on my Yellow Fischer, skiing C1. I have gotten 4 once, 3 a handful of times, but it is mostly just 2 on the purple monster. I can't post any video, but any food for thought would be much appreciated!

Comments

• markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 944 Crazy Baller
    @marco Try this: slow the boat down until you run the pass then start to slowly increasing the speed until you run it at full speed.This has been the key for me learning to run 32 and 35. My first ever full pass @35off was at 33.2mph in april of this year. I just ran [email protected] full speed last week and it wasnt really that ugly. I believe running the pass slow helps us build confidence moving forward! its like this for me "ok i just ran -35 with a boat speed of 33.9 thats only .3mph slow i knoe i can run it at full speed" I know 38 is a whole new deal which i have only tried twice but i have confidence as 35 gets cleaner i will start working my way into 38 with a slow boat then start to increase speed with time. this is what is working for me and im not getting frustrated with it just enjoying the ride!
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    @Marco -- what were you running before you got injured? First, try not to get frustrated -- quite a few of us on this site have fought with that line for a long time. I've run it 4 times in tournaments and many times in practice, but every spring I find myself fighting with it all over again. It just isn't an easy pass.

A couple of things made a difference for me. First, 38 gets in your head. You know it's tough and you think about it before you enter the course. Two, that often leads to a higher level of aggression in both the lean and in the finish of the turns. Both of these, in my experience, are bad things. I try to get out wide for the gate, then take a very gentle turn in where the angle is right. For me that is when the nose of the boat is in the gate. Avoid the temptation to load the line when you get behind the boat. Step two, keep your handle and keep tension on the line. You want to get outbound and wide, but not with tons of speed. Keeping the handle and keeping tension on the line will maintain your speed and cast your ski out. Step three, do not snap your turn at the finish. Let the ski get all the way through so that it has the angle you want, then hook up, lean and repeat. There is a temptation at short line to try to turn it quick and early to "get ahead". The result is one of two things -- you either overturn and overload and it's over, or you hook up before the ski finishes and have no angle. Slow the pass down in your mind so that you are more willing to let the ski move out, arc and then finish and I think you will be surprised what it does for you. In general, I find that the slower I ski 38, the better it feels.
    Jim Ross
    scuppersMarcoThan_Bogan[Deleted User]
  • scuppersscuppers Posts: 451 Baller
    @Razorskier1 What a great explaination!
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,588 Mega Baller
    Boy that is exactly what I am trying to do.

Will keep trying...

Well explained.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,426 Crazy Baller
    @markchilcutt- Tempting thought, but I've never been of the mind to slow it down. I'm afraid it will mess with my timing.

@razorskier1- Jim, thanks for the well explained thought process. I definately try to kill it, even when I am trying to think "slow it down". My bad reflexes tend to overrule my mind. I'll go next time thinking slow and easy, and not try to take too much off the ball, and hopefully it will eventually sink in. To answer your question, my practice PB is 4 at 38, tourney PB is only 1.5, which is more typical for me. Iv'e been battling 2 at purple ever since I started running 35's, about 5 years ago:(
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    @marco -- don't get down. I actually ran my first ever 38 off in a tournament. It was September of 2007. I was so excited I could hardly stand it! Figured I'd for sure start running it all the time. Well . . . I do run it in practice now with some regularity, although it often takes me a couple of tries. I've added three (or maybe 4) tournament 38s in all that time. Fact is, it is a tough pass to master. I probably run 15-20 every summer in practice, but my success rate thus far is likely less than 20%. Funny thing about the pass is when I run it the pass always feels so easy and slow and in control. Makes me think I'll run it every time. Then the next time out it feels fast, out of control and crazy! I have a love/hate relationship with 38 off.
    Jim Ross
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,588 Mega Baller
    Took me 11 years from my first tournament 96 (then 36/-32) to first tournament 102 (34/-38). That's a tough nut to crack, as it requires both good technique and a lot of hard-to-train small-muscle strength.

I'm up to 4 purple completions lifetime and feeling like maybe I could double that this year if I can fix up a few things... If...
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 314 Solid Baller
    Marco, I am hitting my head at 38 since I slowed to 55k (about 6 years ago). Right now I almost dont miss a 35, even with the bad wind conditions we get here frequently, but cant complete a single 38.

About 1.5 year ago I found a way of skiing that made me get many 38`s and man, that felt easy... I was skiing with less angle in my turns and a soft pulling until the second spray, as I was not spending much energy my sets jumped from 6/8 passes to 10/12 passes. Unfortunately I lost that timing and have not completed a 38 in quite a while.

In the last months I have slowed the boat to 54.4, even to 54, but I dont feel it has helped much, in fact I feel that at lower speeds I tend to attack the bouys harder, get the slack, get back to position and still have time to get to the next bouy, but thats not what I feel I should do.

Anyways, what Razorskier1 said is exactly what I think we all should try to do.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,426 Crazy Baller
    Alberto- Great skiing, you'll get it back. I think that the path taken through the course is waaay more critical as the line shortens. I will be working on what Razorskier1 describes, and will try to get that "easy" feeling by rounding things out somewhat.

Razorskier1- you are absolutely right about it being a tough pass to master. Running 38 is what separates the men from the boys in my opinion. I guess I am just a really old boy:)