Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Price check: 2005 SN196 w/ < 400 hrs

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,464 Mega Baller
edited July 2012 in Boat Talk
Few options except heater. Maintained at dealer each off-season. Closed bow (I think they all are).

I'm only "sorta serious" about selling it this year, so I'm not really looking for offers, but I wanted to start by getting a general sense of what I might be able to get for it.

Anybody have some clue about the boat market? Please ask questions needed to estimate a more accurate price.
Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan

Comments

• bogboybogboy Posts: 699 Solid Baller
    I think the 2005 is still the tsc2 hull, but with out looking up comps., using my claims judgement background, & taking a stab at it, depending on condition, I would say around 23,000.
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    I would say somewhere in the 23-25 range. Maybe squeeze a bit more if a your in an area with low inventory and demand for a 196.
  • ScaredOfCorbetsScaredOfCorbets Posts: 87 Baller
    Is it the 'Limited' edition? If yes, then probably add a thousand to it.
  • SDNAH2OSKIERSDNAH2OSKIER Posts: 309 Baller
    edited July 2012
    The question to ask is if you were going to buy the boat and you wanted to pay cash and get a Deal what would you pay? I would say a realistic sale price is probably closer to 20. I buy and sell cars and trucks every day and usually buy at least one boat or jet ski every year. Late spring is always best time to sell. I would hold off till then if you don't need to sell. Late dec is best time to buy.

Also it is better to sell when it's not a priority, you will hold out for more money. When you want or need to sell, you are much more likely to leave money on the table.
    Doug Roberts San Diego, CA ski rating: 2 balls
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,464 Mega Baller
    Ok, thanks folks. I can tell you that if it's $20k, I'm gonna keep it. It's worth more to me than that. If can get $25k, it might be time to move up to new (or newer) model year.

So the information above is quite useful. Looks like reality lies right in the range where the decision may be hard!
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,254 Mega Baller
    @Than,
    Hours and condition? It has the Excalibur so it can be converted to ZO. If boat is in prime condition, you could fetch 25 easy. Look at the price of a 200, TXI and 197. Than look at a ZO upgrade and you would be a fool to sell or not buy one if in the market for a new boat. I ski behind Thagers 2002 with the ZO upgrade and it is one sweet boat. The price of used nautiques are holding well due to the ZO upgrade capability.
    Shut up and ski
    Just over 300 hrs now, but probably be almost 400 when I sell it. So lowish, but not super-low.

I'd call the condition "good" or possibly even "very good" but definitely not "mint" -- it's got a few indications that it's been a work-horse, not a show dog.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,746 Mega Baller
    In this economy a 2005 trailer queen still will only bring $22-$28K. you might want to save your money and retrofit it over to accept Zero Off (if it has not already been done) for a ski mule you cant beat the 196's they ski nice and drive straight. Might want to do a Craigs list search and see whats out their right now. as the summer wains the prices go down.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• SDNAH2OSKIERSDNAH2OSKIER Posts: 309 Baller
    I am very good at horse trading cars, bikes, etc..... When it comes to boats, breaking even is a huge win. Even when I feel like I got a steal, they dont move very quickly and I inevitably start peeling off $100 here and there. My advice is basic, boats are not an investment, it is a near certainty you will lose money, so with that in mind, have a plan to minimize the loss. Clean clean clean, take care of minor imperfections, maintenance issues, set a reasonable price and expectation, get your money out and put it back to work somewhere else as quickly as possible. Its not your baby, as much as you like it, care for it etc... Its just a boat and they will make more. I am also a huge proponent of dislcosure, put it all on the table up front, it immediately builds trust and weeds out tire kickers from buyers, and lastly pics, lots and lots of GOOD well lit well framed pics!!!!
    Doug Roberts San Diego, CA ski rating: 2 balls
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    You can fetch good money in the winter to the Aussie market. Two of my past boats are down there a 08 196 and 93 MC 190. There is a guy who buys boats in th US and re sells them ( at a profit for sure!) . The guy I delt with made it easy, they arrange to come pick up the boat with payment in hand. Seems like a scam at first, but its legit. The first boat I sold I wanted to drop it off at the shipping yard myself to make sure it was legit. Other than being in Compton ( a bit scary) it was no problem deal. Plus got the chance to stay the night in Santa Monica which was only about 15min away. It maybe a California thing though since boats are leaving out of Los Angles port.
  • bdoughertybdougherty Posts: 86 Baller
    Sold mine to Australia through Brandon at Central Kentucky Inboards. Can't say enough about how pleased I was with the transaction. I will call Brandon when my current boat needs a new home.
  • ctsmithctsmith Posts: 281 Baller
    Bogan, is it PP Classic or Stargazer? I've a "trailer queen" 2004 in mint condition with approximately 300 hrs and Stargazer. If the market is anywhere near the mid 20's I could sell it for more than I bought it for several years ago. Crazy!
    PP Classic.

@ctsmith From what everyone has said, it sounds like yours is worth high 20s for sure. It seems to have strict superiority to mine (except mine is pretty -- love that tan and black!).

It definitely can happen that a boat sells for more a few years later, because the new ones seem to keep driving up and up in price, which indirectly affects the used market.