Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Think on BOS, ski on the water"

Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
edited July 2012 in Technique & Theory
I determined this week that I was just plain thinking too much while skiing. My buoy counts were still fine, but I was so busy thinking and adjusting that it didn't feel right. Yesterday I threw away thinking while skiing and just went out to "ski like me". Total change. Suddenly everything is easy, fun and familiar again, I'm more consistent, and the buoy count is about to rise again.

I have a theory about this. Things happen on the water pretty quickly. Trying to think gets in the way of your body doing what it knows how to do.

Secondly, however, it is possible that all that "thinking-skiing" was a prerequisite to how I am skiing now. In either case, I have now decided that I will only think while on BOS. Once I sign off, I quit thinking, and start skiing.
Jim Ross
Than_BoganMattP

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,586 Mega Baller
    Great call.

I actually TRY to do that as well, although I'm sure no one will be terribly surprised that it's a challenge for me to turn off the thinking.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,845 Mega Baller
    Now that would be consistent with the Razorskier1 we all know and love.
    Not thinking I mean ! : )
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • SMSM Posts: 529 Crazy Baller
    I had this exact conversation with someone else this morning. I definitely ski better when I'm not thinking about what I'm doing. Which probably explains why my best scores often occur during a hangover.
    Time spent on the water is time well spent.
    MattP
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,049
    Most of the time I decide on one key word for the pass or set and scream it in my head at the appropriate time in the course. I find I can "think" of only one thing while in the course. For instance, back arm pressure is a relatively easy thing to remember and execute. Load the hand that comes back on the handle. Or, counter....or eyes up, head up...etc. I think that concentrating on one thing in the course actually elevates your overall level of focus; even if it is on the subconscious level.
    Bob Grizzi
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,187 Mega Baller
    My wife tells me to ski with my "lizard brain"!
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    edited July 2012
    Good advice for us newbs or re-newbs too. I want to find my position, as in Than's article, but stop thinking so much about all the rest, and let things like the edge change happen naturally. I will remain aware of what the handle is doing, but will try not to think about it. Like Than, I can have trouble doing that some days.

Thanks for the reminder! Glad to know you more advanced guys deal with that too.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,053 Mega Baller
    I've made good progress really thinking about what I'm doing while skiing.

That said I usually hit some kind of wall where I think myself into a corner.

That's when I "just go ski" for a while. After a few sets like that, thinking is useful again.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • WishWish Posts: 7,982 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I have stopped in the middle of a set many times, looked at the driver and said "my head is way to into it". I did see a couple skiers at a tournament with reminders written on tape and stuck on top of their ski where they could see it. One of them said it keeps them from thinking of a bunch of technique stuff when nerves are up. Glance at it right before as you put your boots on. Kinda goes with what @skibug was saying.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,347 Mega Baller
    Thinking is the main reason I need to take a break in the Fall and switch to another sport until the Spring. I get mentally, not physically, burned out.

I'm trying to think less this year. Think before a set, in between sets, away from the lake, etc.., but less so while skiing. I just want to establish a rhythm and path in the gate pullout and gate. If I can do that then 1 is good and then it's just a matter of "repeat".
    "...all of the basic fun banter"