Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Filling lake with garden hose

cacmancacman Posts: 89 Open or 55K Rated Skier
edited July 2012 in Rules/Politics/Issues
Our lake is slowly becoming unskiable due to lack of water. Any one ever use garden hose to help keep level up. We have 3 homes and about an 18 acre lake.

Comments

• scuppersscuppers Posts: 453 Baller
    It won't even make a dent and ware out your water pump and water conditioner in the process. Don't even try.
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
    AggieSkier
  • ntxntx Posts: 828 Crazy Baller
    @cacman Depending on the part of country you are in. It can be done if your hose is about 4 inch dia. and can deliver about 120 gals per min.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,426 Crazy Baller
    It would take 488,776 gallons just to raise your 18 acre lake 1". You wouldn't even be able to keep up with evaporation with garden hoses. Our 9 acre lake loses 70,000 per day in the summer just to evaporation. You need to divert a stream...
  • cacmancacman Posts: 89 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I figured between the 3 houses we could put in about 25000 gallons a day. Plus all of our tears. maybe it would slow it down until we get rain.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,426 Crazy Baller
    Wow- 250,000 per day between 3 houses. That will be some water bill at the end of the month! I hope you get some rain soon. Good luck!
  • webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    We had the opposite problem one year. The water was too high but wasn't going over the drain. We decided it may make sense to make a homemade siphon using some garden hoses. When I ran the numbers on flow rate for an average hose, I realized it would've taken over 100 years to drop it to where we wanted it. Ha