Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is how I think you get wide

HortonHorton Posts: 28,774 Administrator
edited July 2012 in Technique & Theory
Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Comments

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,327 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    How's this?
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,845 Mega Baller
    If I can find a picture of a hamburger, fries and large drink I will put that up.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    jayski
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 944 Crazy Baller
    I agree!! great example of correct body position, tight line and a slow feed out.
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,989 Mega Baller
    I have the how not to do it of me at 35 I'll have to upload it somewhere for contrast.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ggincogginco Posts: 100 Baller
    The ski is well out in front too. This keeps the ski from tracking inside too soon.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited July 2012
    Not nearly as cute, but very effective ... Nate getting wide this week @-35:

Interesting Side Note: Even though his ski is ahead of him, his weight is still far enough forward to have his rear heal off the ski. Hmmmm .....
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    Umm, yeah I can't do that. Notice he's already on inside edge and still on the wash.
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,844 Mega Baller
    @6balls - keep in mind Nate is skiing at 36mph and it isn't clear what line length he is at. Many interviews with Nate show that he likes to transition from outside edge to inside edge right behind the boat. (CRAZY) but that also tells us he has gotten all the speed he needs right after his turn and it sets him up to create those nice long arcing turns that we see in the pictures and movies of him skiing at shortline.

@SkiJay - The heel up - I think that is also a function of the RTP. Perhaps it's really the one advantage of the RTP. I'll stick with my double hybrid boots and work on just moving my weight to the front of the ski to turn efficiently!

I however have a LONG ways to go........
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,097
    @6balls Hard to compare based on the pics since you're probably 20 ft further outbound than the picture @Horton posted or the pic of Nate. I will say this, from your pic I can't help but think the pull of the handle came from 6 inches higher and at least 6 inches farther out during that critical transition zone which results in the ski falling inside the arc of the handle.

@Horton I love that pic. That demonstrates core engagement with the handle beautifully.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• HortonHorton Posts: 28,774 Administrator
    She is my niece. Stay away from her.

• ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,097
    @Horton I was not even thinking that! What kind of perv does everyone think I am?!?!?! Can I have her number?
    Shane "Crash" Hill

jayskiMattP
    This is the what not to do. Seeing the picture of Ellie then this one of me made me realize what went wrong about 2 seconds later. This was coming into 4 ball at 35 off.

Photobucket
    Mark Shaffer
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,774 Administrator
    @Chef23 At least you have two hands on the handle

@Horton it is a start. I am glad that photo got taken. Two pictures later you can see the look of disgust on my face as I sink into the water.
    Mark Shaffer
    @shaneh I have another pic right at the transition where Nate is at above from skiwatch tourney. can't find it right now...but when I looked at it a while back and compare to the real studs you are correct. A little higher handle less connected than it should be.
    It's one of the zillion things I could do better. Improvement is coming along, but so incremental. Another good BOS discussion with visual aids.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited July 2012
    @Skoot1123 Nate is at 35 off in this picture. It's important to understand that the fact that he is transitioning right behind the boat does not mean he has all the energy he needs at that point. Notice how far away from the boat he is still leaning despite his ski already being on its inside turning edge. This is an excellent example of how to continue accelerating beyond the wakes by staying down and connected through and after the edge change. At the time of this photo and for the next ~10 feet, this continued acceleration comes from the geometry of the handle's arc as it takes Nate's considerable cross-course speed and swings/whips it (and Nate) down-course and wide.

You are right about Nate skiing at 36 mph, but Seth Stisher said the following in this month's Waterski Magazine: "The physics of swinging back and forth behind a central moving point (the pylon) is the same, regardless of the speed. After skiing 34 for a solid year now, I stand by that claim. Many skiers believe you have to pull longer at 34 than 36 mph, and in my opinion, that is simply not the case. Your outbound trajectory is best when the transition begins right behind the boat."
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    @SkiJay - good notes. I'm going to try a few things today at the lake and report back tomorrow. I have been VERY focussed lately on consistancy - it is coming around. Actually putting the "reverse C" into practice could be a lot more difficult (for me) than it looks. After I get a few warm up passes I take a shot at it. I too ski at 34 mph - even though I should be at 36 mph (according to age). Guess you have to start somewhere! :D
    I skied a set this morning really focusing on keeping the elbows in off the second wake. There was a pretty good head tail wind. I an a 22 tail, 4 28s and a 32 head wind. When I did it right I felt really early and wide with a tight line at the ball. I had a tendency to pull a little long rather than change edges and ride the handle out. I ran the 32 without really focusing on it I just skied. My thought is that right now 28 off is my work pass to ingrain new habits. I think I am going to run a few more sets where I really focus on this. Last week I mostly ran 28s working on fundamentals and I skied a PB in the tournament this past weekend. We have a week and a half before regionals so I have some time to practice.
    Mark Shaffer
    Well - how's this for last night's set? Skied a couple 22's the skied an absolute BEAUTY of a 28. Probably the best 28 I have ever run, early at every buoy. The rest was just AWFULL!! I had recently adjusted my rear binding - after the set I returned it back to where it was. Any ideas?

I also tried to mimic what Nate Smith was doing. Forget it. I'm not even close to trying. I just need to stick with the basics. I just want to get back to ski 32 again! (have only done it 3 times)