WallySkier Turn Balls - Evidence of Their Safety

skibugskibug Posts: 2,027
edited July 2012 in Other Stuff
Maybe a shameless plug....but it is an opportunity to plug safety of a product that could save someone in the long run. Here is a pic of just before impact and at impact of 2 ball with a WallySkier buoy installed. While it did throw me off course a little bit; I kept right on skiing. Just a credit to thier design and softness. Also, notice the color of that buoy? That turn ball has been in the water since the begining of last season, through the winter, and all of this season so far; and it is still holding its color strong.imageimage
Bob Grizzi
MattPFSSPCat

Comments

• MAD11MAD11 Posts: 577 Crazy Baller
    I just ordered a set of these last week to test on one of our lakes. We had both lakes set up with bubble buoys, but have struggled with maintenance as they seem to get damaged by some of our owners more easily than others. They certainly have been safe though. I put in a set of test water filled buoys, which have done well for about a month with no complaints. Both Drew R and Nate Smith swear by the Wally buoys for safety and also talked about how they don't fade so I figured we should try them before settling on a solution. Nate said his set has been on for more than 18 months without fading. Was surprised. I placed the order and got a UPS shipment notice within two hours. I will put them on when I get back from SA Wed. Will let the neighborhood test them for a week or so and give some feedback to everyone.
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,027
    Wally is top notch when it comes to customer service. Just make sure you follow any instructions he may send. I can't remember if there was an inflation then deflation process to maximize the softness of them. It truly is incredible how the color holds up. We have never had buoys that didn't fade.
    Bob Grizzi
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,483 Mega Baller
    Contact info?
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    edited July 2012
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,053 Mega Baller
    @skibug, what is the item # you are buying?
    I have looked at these before, but wasn't sure about which buoy people are using.

I have a set from Ed that is water filled and second season and color has held up well. Wonder about the deflating buoys vs water filled.

I have seen goode and bad written about Bubble Buoys, so at that price, I have held off. Not a cost thing, but a maintenance thing. Our course can get choppy on high wind days.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,353 Mega Baller
    Oi. My ski partner apparently ruptured his achilles in practice while I was busily tanking at John's Pond (still my favorite site -- some days you just suck). Boy does that put a "bad day" in perspective...

This won't help him now, but maybe this is the push we need to finally install something safer. I look forward to more reviews on these.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • Double7sDouble7s Posts: 37 Baller
    What bindings was your friend on Than?
    ALPJr
    Front: D3 Leverage; Rear: toe loop.

I haven't actually confirmed, but I assume he ruptured the front one.
  • Double7sDouble7s Posts: 37 Baller
    4 ankle injuries this month in our area. 3 because of buoys. 1 skier error. All national competitive.
    Safer buoys are cheaper than injuries.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,721 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Water filled is still free and safer then jus air. Can't get any cheaper then that.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    The wallyskier buoys are better than the water filled. I have skied with both. Water filled is better than not water filled for sure; but, the buoy is still hard since you need to maitain the same air pressure inside the buoy.
    Bob Grizzi
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,407 Crazy Baller
    @Than_Bogan- Sorry to hear about your ski partner. I blew out my (front) achilles after hitting 2 ball, ending my '09 season and the first part of the '10 season. It is still only about 80%. Tell your friend to hang in there. He has a long road ahead...

Now if I am running late, I don't even try to turn the buoy (in practice anyway).
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,895 Mega Baller
    @Than_Bogan that sucks about Mike. He has had a very tough run between the eye issues and now this.
    Mark Shaffer
    @chef23 Yes he has. There's always somebody much worse off, but he really is on a pretty remarkable streak of bad luck. Makes my 1-for-last-11 tournament -35s streak look pretty irrelevant...
    Some say this is a quote from Plato; while there is some contraversy about that....the intent is still the same....

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.”
    Bob Grizzi
    @skibug I've never skied with wallyskier buoys so can't comment but was going off what @Double7s was suggesting which was the investment to pay more $$$ for buoys, like the wallyskier or perhaps Goode, is worth it as apposed to the cost of injuries from air filled only. Just pointing out that water is free and worth the investment of just some time to significantly decrease injury. I'm sure wallyskier bouys are a quality product and a great alternative to air filled. I do over inflate mine, deflate, and water fill. They are softer and the air pressure needed is significantly less then the air filled I had. I also run them just a tad lower in the water by having a bit more water in them.
    edited July 2012
    @Wish, don't misread my comments, water filled is definitely better than not and the over inflate, then deflate, is the way to go. Between the way the wallyskier buoys hold their color and their safety factor; they are worth it. You only get one good season (two if you are lucky) by my expereince out of those polyform buoys. I can barely tell a color difference in a new wallyskier buoy and the one that we have had installed for 14 -15 months.
    Bob Grizzi
    Between the way the wallyskier buoys hold their color and their safety factor; they are worth it. You only get one good season (two if you are lucky) by my expereince out of those polyform buoys. I can barely tell a color difference in a new wallyskier buoy and the one that we have had installed for 14 -15 months.
    Bob Grizzi
  • smanskismanski Posts: 47 Baller
    I am 1 of the 4 with ankle injuries mentioned by Double7s. Mine happened this weekend at our state tournament. Standard buoys. Reflex front with hardshell on back that lets the foot come out. The ski tip caught the ball and the ski lost its grip on the water. When it caught again, there went the front ankle. Back ankle is fine. Both feet released, but I guess there was enough force on the front ankle to do some damage before the release gave way. I tested the release setting on dry ground by throwing my weight forward and in the water by grabbing the tip. I was actually more worried about an early release after my testing. I believe the way the ski catches after that type of buoy hit actually puts more of the force on the back of the ski and is trying to get the toes to come out rather than the heel, plus trying to roll the binders off your feet to the side. Basically, more like you are falling out the back and to the side rather than going out the front. The Reflex release takes upward heel pressure to release normally and I am guessing a lot more if the pressure is coming from a side rotation. In my humble opinion, Bubble Buoys or possibly the Wally Skier buoys would have saved me. On the equipment side, probably only the Fogman setup would have helped. Having heel or toe pressure release mechanisms plus both feet being locked together may have saved my ankle. I got off the Fogmans a few years ago because I didn't like the heavy metal plate plus I didn't like drilling all the extra holes in my skis. I am considering going back after the ankle injury. Saw a carbon plate Fogman setup this weekend, but both H2O and Connelly specs show their Fogman plate as metal. Maybe I can get Mike Erb to duplicate one out of G10. I guess my other option is to only ski at sites with Bubble Buoys or Wally Skier buoys. We are definitely going to one or the other on our lake.
    Scott Hudson
    This is for those that for whatever reason need to keep it cheap but as safe as possible. The spray paint Krylon made for "plastics" (plastic lawn chair on front of can) works very well with the regular (but water filled for safety) buoys. The key is to shake the can for a while or the paint seems to dry very very slowly. They color does not fade and since its made for plastics, it expands and contracts so it does not chip off. The other key is to make sure the surface is very clean if its a used faded buoy. I use this stuff on new ones and it stays true to the painted color for years here in FL. Just some additional ideas floated out there (pun intended)
  • jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,379 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I've used regular buoys, water filled and bubble buoys. Water filled is a relatively minor improvement - it's still like hitting a rock. I really like the bubble buoys from a safety perspective but they are a PITA to maintain. The construction is rather crude and they fade quickly. You can repaint them but once you hit them, the paint chips off fast. At my June record, I repainted them and by the end of the weekend, most of the paint was gone. I forgot about the wally buoys - I'm ordering some tonight. Thanks Bob for the testimonial.
    Joe Darwin
  • MZitoMZito Posts: 169 Baller
    Wally...Great customer service! I ordered 6 turn buoys on Sunday morning and I received a call from Wally Sunday afternoon thanking me for my order and to let me know they would be shipped to my house by Wednesday. Just a great guy!! He earned my future business as well.
    Matt Zito...Detroit Mi
    RAWSki
  • BG1BG1 Posts: 170 Baller
    Wally. Have you tried WallySkier buoys with water added after overinflating then deflating? Would that improve the WallySkier buoys safety even more as it does for the traditional buoy?
  • LeopoldLeopold Posts: 45 Baller
    What's the difference between WallySkier buoys and regular buoys? Why are they safer?
  • SpartanSkiSpartanSki Posts: 75 Baller
    The connection loop looks huge on those buoys, will the standard plastic clip make it through those or do they need to be tied/zip tied on?
    @leopold, super soft, way less air pressure, with the bottom hemisphere actually having a slight conical shape to allow easier displacement

@Spartanski, we have the larger adjustable hooks with the keepers that are used with bungee or surgical cord. The larger hooks can be wedged on the buoy loop; but, we have gone to using a small loop of bungee cord (maybe 4" to 6") between the adjustable hook and the buoy loop. You can use a zip tie if you desire.
    Bob Grizzi
    Leopold
  • BG1BG1 Posts: 170 Baller
    Has anyone tried water filled WallySkier buoys? Would that be even safer?
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,787 Mega Baller
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    Double7sMike
    @BG1, have not tried.
    Bob Grizzi