Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest place to buy Dual Lock - Binding Source - Revised

scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,013 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited April 2016 in Skis Fins Bindings
The cheapest place I have found to buy Dual Lock is from https://www.bindingsource.com. You can buy a trial bag for $35+ shipping which is 20' feet (10' mated). Direct link https://goo.gl/xpWtjL

- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
gsm_peter

Comments

• BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,887
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,013 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Bump
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,848
    I tried the other day and they said they no longer have the trial bags of 400, only 50 foot rolls.
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    edited April 2016
    It now looks like the cheapest place to buy Dual Lock trial bags (20' total feet) is from the itape store.
    Wish
  • WishWish Posts: 7,316 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @scotchipman I know you have an amount to use chart for dual lock for a double boot set up single plate. Do you have one for a single boot and plate or is that not a thing as in no one relies on single boot velcro release (with a toe kick)?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    edited April 2016
    @Wish, I don't have experience with a single boot plate that uses Dual Lock as a release in combination with a toe kick......

Below is my chart for 250 Dual Lock for a double boot set up on a single plate. In my opinion the black foam back 3870 has more give then the clear 3560 which seems to be why I think SOME people pre-release with the clear. The black backed 3870 is notorious for being a real pain to remove which is why many have gone to clear. I currently use clear on my ski and black on my plate, when it comes time to replace the black on my plate I can get aggressive since it is hard to damage a G-10 plate.

< 120 lbs 2 one inch wide strips of 250 Dual Lock on the ski and plate, four total.
    120-160 2.5 one inch wide strips of 250 Dual Lock on the ski and plate, five total.
    160-200 3 one inch wide strips of 250 Dual Lock on the ski and plate, six total.
    200-240 3.5 one inch wide strips of 250 Dual Lock on the ski and plate, seven total.
    >240 4 one inch wide strips of 250 Dual Lock on the ski and plate, eight total.

* One strip of 250 Dual Lock being the length (28"-29") of a G-10 plate. When possible place more Dual Lock at the front and back leaving less in the middle.

* Make sure your ski/plate are clean and warm (not hot) to the touch when you install Dual Lock to assure a good bond, also if possible it is good to let it sit overnight before use. I warm my plate/ski up in the sun or heat gun/blow dryer. You can also use the 3m primer to assure a good bond to the ski/plate. The times I have had a problem with Dual Lock not sticking to a ski/plate was when it was installed cold and/or was never really stuck to the ski plate before it got wet.

* Most people buy from www.bindingsource.com or www.itapestore.com You are looking for black foam backed 3870 or clear backed clear 3560. The trial bags have usually been the cheapest.
    bishop8950
  • bbruzzesebbruzzese Posts: 116 Baller
    I don't use it any more but I always bought replacement dual lock at www.itapestore.com. Being in the north east I always got it the next day a well.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,316 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @scotchipman what's the best way to get the black backing off a plate? The velcro itself is removed with black backing still stuck..Thanks.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,848
    edited April 2016
    @Wish ... There are all kinds of Removers you can purchase, but I found it to come off a G-10 Plate rather easy by just soaking the tape with gas. Put some gas in a small can and brush it on with a 1"- 2" paint brush and let it soak for a while. Use a plastic scrapper to take it right off.

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    @Wish, same as @Ed_Johnson or you can use any kind of adhesive remover, to make it even easier let the plate site in the sun to warm up.

To remove the black sticky backing from a ski you have to be much more careful and use something that won't damage the ski like the 3M citrus based adhesive remover.
    Wish