Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

* Revised - First day on 66.5" HO S2 - Last Day

scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,015 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited July 2012 in Skis Fins Bindings
Skied my first two sets on my new 66.5" HO S2 today, I ski at 34 mph and weigh 155 lbs. Bindings at 29 7/16 and fin at 6.880, 2.472, 0.750, 8 degree. The ski felt ok but it was not finishing the turns very quick so the second set I moved the DFT to 0.760, and the boots to 29 5/8 which made it turn better. I ran all 4 35's I tried but could not get past 1 @ 38'. Compared to my 65" Goode Mid the 35's felt like a little more work, I normally run around 2.5 @ 38' off of the dock in practice on my Goode. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to change before I go out again?
- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- Owner at Still Water Lake Estates

Comments

• teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    Try changing to a nano one
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    tfriessjayski
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,015 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I'm on the wait list for the Nano One, will keep the ski I like the best.
  • MSMS Posts: 4,901 Mega Baller
    29 3/8 on boot
    6.880 tips
    8 or 9 on wing
    Shut up and ski
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,644 Mega Baller
    Horton was running the bindings back on the S2 not forward.
    Mark Shaffer
  • WishWish Posts: 7,319 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Chef23 Horton was on a longer ski. May be the difference. I've got mine forward of Stock on the 66.5 as well. And very close to numbers above. I did add ventals just to see. Jury still out on that. But I did match my all time tournament best which I will call "just inside 5" cause I was on my way there and got stood up for taking too much out of 4 ball. So, so far so good.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    @Wish, What are your fin/binding numbers?
    Scot, put it close to stock and just play with the DFT. You will find the sweet spot and light it up on the ski.
    Shut up and ski
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,687 Administrator
    edited July 2012
    It took me longer than usual to really be at home on S2. My bindings are way back from stock.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

6.850 tips
    29.9/16.
    Thanks @Wish. Wing angle?
    Ventals for now but at one point had the reg wing on and ran 8.
    @Hoton is right if Im reading between the lines correctly. Took me a while to dial it in and it seems to be super sensitive to fin and boot placements. One minute the sweet spot feels the size of a sheet of plywood. The next after an adjustment it's like a toothpick. Don't claim to be as good as Horton on fin settings. I have to ride settings for a while. Unless they are just awful. Im actually considering moving my boots back up to 29.3/4 but now it seems to do something's I like. Some I don't. Always a trade off.
    I skied another set on the S2 today. Bindings at 29 9/16, fin at 6.856, 2.466. 0.762, wing at 7. Ran a few 35's again but they were still a lot of work, ski felt ok and turned fine. On the second set I skied on my friends 65" Mid 9960 since I sold my 65" Mid Nano (on the wait list for the Nano One). 35's felt easier on the 9960 and so far I still like Goode better but am going to give the S2 another try. Any other suggestions on what to try for fin/binding settings?
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,898
    Matt Brown runs his binding at 29 1/8 on his 66.5 S2.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

My next set will be at 29 1/8. @matthewbrown, What are your fin settings on your 66.5" S2?
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,898
    Matt said this in the thread showing the video of him on the S2:

"5'11"-182 66.5" S2 29 1/8"- bindings 2.518, .780, 6.90 @Ed the ski is working well but so is the A2--67.5" same fin but bindings at 29 1/2" it's still early in the year so nothing past 38 on either ski but that will come soon! Oh...and NO WING"
    Shane "Crash" Hill

@Scot, I would go deeper, around 2.485-90. 6.880 and .740-.750 was where mine felt the best. It was a strange ski with set up but felt good when it worked.
    I have the Black and Orange crack comming next week so I will let you know how it feels.
    Shut up and ski
  • jlittlejlittle Posts: 252 Baller
    edited July 2012
    So @scotchipman at 155 lbs why did you go with the 66.5? I weigh the same as you, skied the 66.5 earlier this year and thought it felt big. I did really like what I felt overall but was wanting to try the 65.5. Still do want to try it as I'm currently between skis.
    Scot is tall.
    Shut up and ski
  • KillerKiller Posts: 332 Baller
    @jlittle I was waiting for someone more qualified to mention that, but Scot is at the borderline between sizes 65.5 and 66.5. so how tall are you @Scotchipman?

FWIW I'm on a 66.5 A2 (34.2, 180-185 5'9") was on a 67.5 A1. I'm up almost a full pass on average from the A1 on the smaller A2. Find its easier to ski on, might be the change in ski, but I think a large part of it is the size. the 67.5 for me was harder to ski and more work.

Now I know the S2 size chart lists a heavier starting weight for the 67.5 VS the A2, not sure if that may carry down to the smaller sizes as well?

I do think it is worth a shot at the 65.5 OR maybe even the A2? loving mine, haven't ridden the S2 though.
    I'm 5' 10.5" and shrinking. I agree I'm boarderline but have been skiing on big skis for me for several years now, I really like the extra support. I would like to try the 65.5" but my next ski to test is the Nano One.
    edited July 2012
    Skied on my 66.5" S2 a few more times. Moved the bindings to 29.125, fin at 6.879, 2.489, 0.752, and wing at 7. Ran a few more 35's but they were still a lot of work, not getting anywhere at 38'. I don't think the 66.5" S2 is for me at 150 lbs, maybe the 65.5" would have been the better choice but my next ski to test is the 65.25" Nano One.