Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Positional accuracy and repeatability of Dual-Lock

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,477 Mega Baller
edited August 2012 in Skis Fins Bindings
As part of my Nano One setup, I've mounted my G10 plate to Dual-Lock twice. For me, that's a lot of times, but presumably anybody using it as a release mechanism does so fairly frequently.

I was a little surprised by the positional accuracy I was able to get. After a number of tries, the best positional error I could get was about 0.03".

(How I computed this: The best I could get on left and right in the front was about 0.22" on one side and about 0.28" on the other. Averaging those tells me the ideal was 0.25", and so my error was 0.03".)

In terms of fractions, that's basically 1/32".

In a way, that's sort of accurate.

But then I hear people talking about moving their bindings 1/16" or even 1/32". That doesn't really seem possible if it's about the same as the inherent slop in mounting Dual-Lock. And it makes me wonder if being off center by 1/32" would be considered by some to be a problem, although I'm certainly not feeling anything on the water that seems "off-center."

The repeatability, however, seemed to be much better. Because the little mushrooms are discrete, there are certain position it wants to go to. On more than one try, I got 0.22 plus a few thousandths as my caliper measurement on one side, suggesting the repeatability might be as high as 1/500".

For a release mechanism, I guess repeatability is probably a lot more important than accuracy. What's really important is that once you get it somewhere that you like, you can get it there again.

Btw, I don't really have a "point" -- just some observations. Discuss or ignore as you wish!
Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 27,889 Administrator
    Personally I hate the stuff but I watched Nick Parsons move his bindings a number of times last weekend and he sure made it look easy.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,062
    Dude, you must not have much going on if you sat there and got that detailed. Bang those things on and go ski! lol
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Klundell
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,477 Mega Baller
    @ShaneH That's kinda what I think, too. Glad to hear people aren't worrying about this.

But if I had my fin length off by 3 hundredths, a lot of folks would laugh at me. So I became curious about how important this lack of accuracy was with teh Dual-Lock.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,428 Crazy Baller
    I wondered about this very same issue since mounting a G10 plate on my Fire. The one time previous that I mounted a G10 plate it was off by an obvious amount, but this time I lucked out and it seems pretty dead on. I always figured my foot moved around in the binders enough that it wouldn't be a dramatic difference anyway, but I did set a PB this morning - the first time out on my Fire in two months so something must be right!

I noticed my dual lock was coming apart at the heel, so I pounded it back into shape using a rock. Is that cool?!