Let's see your ski collection

XR6HurricaneXR6Hurricane Posts: 328 Baller
edited September 2012 in News & Other Stuff
Some of my friends couldn't believe how many skis I owned, so I lined them all up when I was reorganizing the rafters in the garage a couple weeks ago. Some of the trick skis I have never been on.

L-R:
Penn Craft Spray King combo set
H.O. Excel combo set (like new, found at curb with a "free" sign on them)
Unknown brand of banana peel skis with homemade fins to double as jumpers
Viking banana peel skis
Thompson shoe skis
Unknown brand of home-rigged backwards slalom
Sears & Roebuck J.C. Higgins wood slalom
Roland Hillier Li'l Monster - one of the corner pieces in my man cave
Western Wood 65" XL7 Glass Competition (still had the Mike Suyderhoud sticker on it when I got it)
Western 65" Funnel Tunnel epoxy glass (still has the 65" sticker under the tip)
EP Superformer 67" (rear half of front binding was replaced with a generic adjustable from a combo ski)
Connelly Concept 65"

The Concept is my everyday ski and is the newest one (1998). The Western XL7 is my second favorite.

I'm sure many of you have more than I have, and more interesting ones.
bishop8950

Comments

• travnewstravnews Posts: 187 Baller
    edited September 2012
    What is the deal with the bindings on the the first wood slalom ski. Have you skiied on that ski.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,842 Mega Baller
    how about spacesuits ?
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    XR6Hurricane
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,271 Mega Baller
    edited September 2012
  • XR6HurricaneXR6Hurricane Posts: 328 Baller
    First wood slalom ski is the backwards slalom. I have not tried it. The guy who gave it to me was a former tournament skier who lived in Evanston, IL and practiced every morning at sunrise on Lake Michigan. Said it took him an entire summer just to learn how to get up backwards on it.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,349 Mega Baller
    @HR6Hurricane backwards slalom? He was pulling your leg...
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,304
    I've seen A. Larken come up backwards on a regular Slalom Ski several times.
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,961 Mega Baller
    I have an old wood ski also with rubber mounted backwards. Used this for backward barefoot step offs. Although I learned backwards by deepwater starts, a couple ski friends learned by stepping off a slalom ski going backwards. Both ways are fun, except for the slams on the back of your head.
    I don't know if it was ever something done in tournaments in his time, or if it was just something he did for fun. Just watch the show ski world. All sorts of creative stuff is done there all the time.
  • WishWish Posts: 8,562 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited September 2012
    I try to collect odd wood skis I have not seen before. The ones on the wall at an angle have Knights charging on black horses. Love the graphics on the Dog Bones and Ski Skat. The Grand Banana is also cool. It's the Banana Peel model...... I guess.
    imageimageimageimage
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    TUPm70win
    My dad has a Challenger slalom that looks just like the combo pair you have with the knights charging, but the bindings are a different color and I think the tail is more squared off. He bought it new in the '60s and still has it.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    That's really cool @wish. For some people it's deer heads for trophies, for others it's old wooden skis.
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,923 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @XR6Hurricane - There was a group of us on the lake we grew up on in Southwestern Michigan who all rode the "Back Off" (slalom ski with the bindings mounted backwards). The generation before me were the ones who started it on our lake and it was a yearly ritual when the 'old guys' (3-4 of them) would all ride them together around the lake on July 4th. All the skis we had included a little plastic "cup" that was screwed to the tail which would drag in the water and shoot a stream of water up about 10' in the air just missing your nose.

Starting on the ski wasn't too hard once you got the coordination right. We'd start in shallow water and "hop up". Once you're up it was like riding a trick ski backwards. Never thought to try the slalom course at the time! I'm sure there's some pictures around somewhere.

@Wish We had one of those "Ski Skats" too. At the time they were made in two sizes - the one pictured and one about half that length. It was so short your front foot actually stepped on top of your rear foot (toes ended just behind the ball of your foot). They were fun to ride! The old canoe paddle was cool too!

Great ski collections!!
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board

• HortonHorton Posts: 32,648 Administrator
    My office

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

MattP
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,582 Mega Baller
    @Horton Have you done a write up on the Connelly boots yet?
    Stir vigorously then leave!

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

webbdawg99
  • bbirlewbbirlew Posts: 180 Baller
    @klindy,
    How did you get up on the paddle?? After seeing a video of someone riding one as a kid I have always wanted to try!!
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,582 Mega Baller
    @Horton. Don't know how I missed that? Nice review.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    @Horton have you ever sat back and calculated the dollar value of whats on that ski rack.?? I know my collection is priceless. Or worthless. I get confused on that sometimes.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    If they were all new, not blems and current year I think retail value would be about 20K. On Ski-It-Again today the value is less than 1/2 that. Since I generally do not sell test skis it really does not matter. I treat them all as if I paid retail.

I think only 1 of those skis is not a demo or blems.

• FrankSFrankS Posts: 169 Baller
    edited September 2012
    @horton why dont you sell your test skis? i would buy one
    Swervin'... It's what I do
  • tfriesstfriess Posts: 401 Baller
    @horton yeah you could make a lot of money and I'd be glad to take one off yours hands so you can create some space in your office for the A3
    Can I just ski 24/7?
    Can't do it that way

• eleeskieleeski Posts: 4,009 Infinite Pandas
    Steal from Horton?! (Dirt? At least your skiing will improve). Or arrange some repairable airline damage. I'll fix that Nano1!
    Eric
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 4,009 Infinite Pandas
    Toe back starts rule!
    Eric
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 1,224 Mega Baller
    @horton you actually get to keep the skis you review huh? I get to buy mine, LOL!
    Cripes...that's nuts.

I'd actually like to thin a few of my wood ones out to make room for a couple of new ones.
  • SMITTYSMITTY Posts: 63 Baller
    edited September 2012
    Ron Smith Invermere BC Canada. Ski at Rons lake Ta Ta creek BC.
    bishop8950
  • SMITTYSMITTY Posts: 63 Baller
    Sorry about that, first time putting photo up on I phone. Still switch it up and ski on some of them. Quattro right now!
    Ron Smith Invermere BC Canada. Ski at Rons lake Ta Ta creek BC.
  • MemocruzMemocruz Posts: 1 Baller
    I came across these water skis sears mark 200 combination I would like to know if anyone has info on them or the year they were made