You know you have a problem when ....

HortonHorton Posts: 31,525 Administrator
edited October 2012 in News & Other Stuff
You get hurt, don't really tell anyone but go to the hardware store to get duct tape...
You practice making your duct tape cast at home.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

ricoBroussardMattPKirsten

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,974 Mega Baller
    A magazine bent into a U and taped makes a good arm splint.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,497 Mega Baller
    wow, cant beat that. I thought I was bad since I haven't been able to straiten my elbow since jump crash in June
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 543 Crazy Baller
    You start thinking about a dry suit because you haven't reached your seasons goals
    MorgToddL
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,525 Administrator
    @douglaslbrady Wow! You are at another level!

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

MattP
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,874 Mega Baller
    @douglasbrady is a monster. I have a stupid injured but keep skiing story that resulted in surgery, but I can't top that one so here goes a different story of addiction:

Super-hot cougar dance instructor I had been seeing at the gym invites teen-age me to go out w/her. Razorskier1's boat had been stolen (story for another time) and we figure if I haul Dad's boat to Minneapolis we could ski the weekend. I went skiing instead of scoring the cougar (sorry @shaneH). If that ain't sick in the head....
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Brady
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 699 Solid Baller
    6 balls: don't sweat it. We've all experienced those kinds of regrets.
  • BradyBrady Posts: 1,085 Mega Baller
    @6balls. Dude, you are the monster!!!! @Horton, I know, I am either passionate or am a downright idiot. Once I realized that I can't mess it up worse, I figured, what the hell. The knee is another problem, cause the damn thing keeps moving around and I can't make it stay in the same place, so unfortunately, I think I am done skiing for a few months. I was trying to tell you guys that I was having some nasty wipeouts. One thing has been established, I ain't afraid of no wake!! Bit afraid of the wife, but I can handle that...
    I ski, therefore I am
    Horton
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,392 Mega Baller
    edited October 2012
    @6balls Obviously a case of severe head trauma caused by repetitive blunt force injury to frontal lobe with cement wall. Just kidding!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,525 Administrator
    @thager What?

@Horton, Never mind. Doc will know!
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,460 Crazy Baller
    I had a hard time dragging my wife to the lake this summer, but just as the seasons began to change she caught the bug. Bad. To the point that she skied until October 7 with nothing more than a heater top. In Montana. After it had snowed. The rest of us were in our toasty dry suits. I may have another driver next summer!
    BradyauskierSkoot1123
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Like all of you, I've skied through a lot of injuries. I've had seven orthopedic surgeries to show for it. When I had the "easy" shoulder surgery, a distal clavical excision, I asked the doctor about skiing. He said the surgery (cutting bone off of your clavical) didn't destabilize the joint, so it was really a matter of pain tolerance. I was skiing 5 days later. Hurt . . . a lot, but what the heck. A few years after that one I tore the labrum in my right shoulder doing a one handed 6 ball at 35 off in a tournament. Slammed the handle in the water reaching the ski for the ball, couldn't get my left hand back to the handle. Took the slack hit with one hand and skied out. That one started hurting a lot after that. Every time I got pulled up out of the water I wanted to scream. Skied for two more months to finish the season, then surgery. This spring I hit the top of my foot on my ski in my one nasty fall of the season. Broke my foot. Just kept skiing. It hurt for about 6 weeks, then it just looked odd (big bump and all swollen) after that. Hey, the season is short -- you can't let a little pain get in your way. @6balls says I would have been arthritic with or without all these stupid choices, so why not just ski it up!
    Jim Ross
    Bradyrayn
    @razorskier1, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow...I know you don't want any regrets!
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 2,123 Mega Baller
    Not sure how this ranks but, trying to (ok I really did) feel sorry for my wife who couldn't ski this season. Our second child was born on Sept 16. I kept skiing, went out 24 times this season. Here's to hoping we will ski in December in Orlando!
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,286
    @6balls I am sooo disappointed in the young you.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    Not disappointed at all in the young @Horton. Just a super smooth accidental right twin grab I'm that picture
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,688 Mega Baller
    ...You just don't want to hurt anymore.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    Brady
    @Drago. Cortizone and ice my friend. It does a body good. Oh, and Perocet and vikadin and beer! :)
    I ski, therefore I am
    GroovyGrant
    @Brady - I'm with you on the ice. Shattered femur from waterskiing and back in the saddle, my knee be damned.
    Bradyjlittle
    @BraceMaker. People truly underestimate the healing power of ice. To this day, I get in an ice bath on a daily basis. It is a great anti inflammatory!! Sorry about the injury, but glad you have that attitude. Pain sucks. I tell it to go to hell and it does!
    I ski, therefore I am
    jlittle
    Its on the shoulder today, not from skiing, work related.

If only I wasn't internally rotated and short on that side now, I think skiing would feel better.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,794 Mega Baller
    made the mistake earlier this month of getting the right hand pinched in a heavy garage door, as soon as I realized stitches were needed my next thought was how I could use duct tape to still be able to ski the next weekend,
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    BradyBulldog
    Skied a tourney 2 yrs ago w/@razorskier1. Torched my back taking a big slack hit out the end gates in round 3 of first tourney. Initially scratched for second tourney as first round was later that same day. Took some prednisone, iced, laid low and penciled back "in".
    Someone set my ski on the dock, I couldn't bend over to get my foot in the binding so Jim soaped it and held it open while I got my foot in there. Hole shots were awful, wake crossings got my attention...skied my tourney avg.
    Brady
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Skied a tournament about 6 years ago with a ruptured disk in my back. Six round weekend. Skied round one of the first tournament but almost couldn't get up because my legs were so weak. Skipped rounds two and three. Had several "lightning bolt" pains that dropped me to my knees while walking. Next day a ski friend who is a chiropractor took a shot at me. Skied two of three rounds and ran into 38. After that weekend my right leg lost about 90% of strength and became numb all the way to my foot. 6 months of anti-inflammatory drugs, pain, weakness and physical therapy later I was skiing again.
    Jim Ross
    Brady
  • lcarneslcarnes Posts: 123 Solid Baller
    After minor surgery on my back , the doc said no lifting, no skiing for a few days-might bust the stitches. Now she tells me! I knew that I had maybe 2-3 more ski days left before the weather changed and we lowered the lake for winter maintenance. So I thought what's the worst that can happen? I'll just it get restitched. My bigger worry was infection. Put duct tape on it and skied-stiches held and I got the last three days in!
    Skoot1123
    OK, last one I promise(maybe, there are a few more)...took massive barefoot header at Jim's place, seeing stars and knew my neck took a hit. Figured in a few hours no chance I could turn my head left/right etc so figured I should foot a little more before I tightened up. Progressively lost my left tricep, pec, and wrist extensors. Surgery to remove the big chunk of disc no longer connected to the rest and lodged in my C6-C7 nerve root. 14 years ago...good to go since (other than my numb pinky finger).
    tfriessSkoot1123
    Took a bad header into the wake screwing around on a wakeboard because of the Walleys. Board stuck into wake and stopped dead breaking lil ole me in half with major head slam. Saw stars and then realized I had lost sight in my right eye. Sight slowly returned over the course of ten minutes as I kept skiing. Explains a lot for some!
    @6balls - the docs sure know how to treat themselves.
    Brady