"R" Type

Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,311 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
Not a lot on the forum about the "R" Type when I searched, any likes or dislikes, Pro,s or Con,s when making a comparison to RTP ?

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

Comments

• brodybrody Posts: 348 Solid Baller
    Love mine
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,355 Mega Baller
    @Brody, Do you wear a Hardshell liner when using it? Does it let your heel move up and down? It looks like it would. No one around here uses them, so I have never seen in action.
    jlittle
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,313 Mega Baller
    I would like to give one a try. I might to get around to it this season.
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 365 Solid Baller
    @AB - I have been using it for almost 2 years now. Yes you can lift your back foot heel and it releases OK when it should. It is impossible to use it without a liner, it would hurt your heel, I use the thin Reflex liners, in fact they are gone by now - hope to buy a pair soon.
    Alberto, would Strada liners work? I have been on double stradas last year and have an extra pair.
    Thanks.
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,288
    @AB Yes, you can use just about any liner. I've got a friend who uses a Goode liner in his R rear.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• SpeshSpesh Posts: 93 Baller
    edited December 2012
    I've been considering picking up one of these for myself. It looks like a great solution, providing that it doesn't inhibit movement too much. So I would also be keen to hear from people that are using it.
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,517 Crazy Baller
    I just switched to the reflex boot and RTP and am eager to try it out. My main goal for the switch was to allow me to drag a leg when starting off bc it requires so much less effort for me personally and I miss it having used double boots for the last few years.

That said, I didn't go with the R type rear binding because I wouldn't be able to drag a leg when getting up. That's the one drawback I see.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,311 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    @Spesh, LOL! you could put a pair of clogs on your ski and get on with it, never known anybody who adapts so well to any change in his equipment, "Merry Christmas"

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

• CamCam Posts: 385 Crazy Baller
    I have been using an "R" type myself for 3 years now and like it a lot better than the rear Animal I was on before it and skiing in Scotland it helps keep my back foot warm.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,311 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    @jfw432 just thinking if the "r" Type was not adjusted too tight what comes out must go in, so possible to drag leg for start, the reason I,m looking, is consistency in position of the rear foot, I know somebody who uses RTP and heel cup, thinking of using the "R" Type in the same way, was also thinking of glueing foot pad in and lining the shell no need for a liner,

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

edited December 2012
    @Stevie Boy, It looks like an overlay that clamps down, so my thought would be to wear a neopreme sock or something. I am thinking the same about dragging a foot due to a knee issue on my back leg. A long time ago, pre-double high wraps, I attached a heel cup from an old HO comfort grip, just to prevent side to side movement.
  • brodybrody Posts: 348 Solid Baller
    What Alberto said!!
    Assuming you can keep those straps tight enough and still be able to still slide a foot in place, it might work. I do think the liner would have to be bonded to the binding. I've done a lot of stand up jetskiing in the past and keeping anything on your feet that isn't strapped or laced in place, won't really stay on your foot.
    The Radar RTP looks like it has a molded heel cup in the footbed. Not real high, but at least a center depression for your heel to stay centered.

http://www.miamiskinautiques.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=12_rdr_artp_feather&Click=1771&gclid=CIv1yPDqtbQCFQVgMgod-WYAug
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 365 Solid Baller
    Sorry for the late reply. You can use any type of liner, unfortunatly you will have to start with you rear foot on the R-style, it is hard to put your foot there after you get up. You have to keep it tied, otherwise your heel will leave the boot and you probably will not complete the pass.
  • JohnCoxJohnCox Posts: 357 Crazy Baller
    What is an "R-type"?
    Mapple T2
    www.mappleskis.com
    Here it is...
  • JohnCoxJohnCox Posts: 357 Crazy Baller
    Oh. I've seen those. Thanks.
    If I used reflex I would try that. I'm on Goode power shells...I will stick with that
    Mapple T2
    www.mappleskis.com