Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A3 2013

GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,003 Mega Baller
edited December 2012 in Skis Fins Bindings
First two sets on the 67” A3. Kept it at [email protected] 54A/58W; a tad nippy for me.

Out of the box the fin was 2.497/6.855/.744, set it to “stock” at 2.510/6.845/.730/w8; FB 29.5

Wasted the first set; way too much offside.

2nd set 2.508/6.836/.740/w8, FB 29.375; it rocked! A bit too much; .735 next set.

It seems quite a departure from the A1 and with better turning characteristics than the A2.

No point in attempting to describe its attributes until more rides at shorter lines, but I suspect this ski will be very popular.

MattP

Comments

• OmlandOmland Posts: 49 Baller
    What kind of binding is that on the front?
  • eurosporteurosport Posts: 52 Baller
    @omland its a reflex hardshell on the front
  • OmlandOmland Posts: 49 Baller
    @eurosport It looks sweet.
  • ThePantsManCanThePantsManCan Posts: 455 Baller
    So are the 67" skis out there yet??? I'm getting mighty impatient.
    60% of the time, it works.... All the time.
    JackSunsetLakes
  • jayskijayski Posts: 900 Mega Baller
    yep, got a 67" just before Xmas...
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,188
    @jayski...How do you like your 67.

Still waiting for a Red 68." Had a green one come into the store Tues, so I know the mold is done.
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    jlittle
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,003 Mega Baller
    edited January 2013
    A3 rips better than any HO (CDX, Monza, A1, & A2) I've ridden!

Compared to A1, & A2; totally different shape and bevels.
    Seems best skied aggressively accommodated by plenty of lean.

Have tried about 15 different settings.

Greg Badal was kind enough to share some tips on tuning and for those interested in getting an A3; contacting him is advised:

Reflex FB at true 29.5" seems best so far.
    DFT: .76 (finding less than .755 not so good)
    Depth: 2.5 -2.511
    Length: 6.835
    Currently .76/2.502/6.840/8 which has facilitated better offside.

Marcus Brown forwarded some #'s: .765/2.520/6.895/9 which I'll try this weekend but probably too much fin for me.

A public forum "Thanks" to both Greg & Marcus for being great emissaries of the sport and lending helpful insight to ski tuning!

Ed_Johnson
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,627 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @Gloersen I agree the A3 rips and with your Greg and Marcus comment. Call or email Greg for pricing. He is very competitive and you get all the support.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    @Ed_Johnson...it's a nice ski, carries speed well through the turn, pretty stable and predictable, much better than the A2 by a long shot, I was 100% sold on using it as my ride this year I liked it that much, but I hopped on a 67" Endo and the A3 went back in the box, the Endo is incredible, unbelievably wide and early at every bouy, turns automatically and little effort required...
    Ed_Johnson
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,589 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Dirt Have you ran 41 on it yet? Do you have a green one or are you waiting to borrow @Hortons again.
    Shut up and ski
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,627 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @MS 41 is impossible for me. I have peaked with my lack of natural ability and balance. Hard work only gets you so far. If I can "borrow" any ski from Horton, I will.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,589 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    edited January 2013
    @Dirt See if you can borrow a 66.5 in green and send it my way. With all the hype, I am ready to sell my N1 and give the green a rip.
    Shut up and ski
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 305 Baller
    Miamiskinautiques.com has 66, 67.. Hope to try one soon, and 68's in! They said the 67's just came in.
    www.skyfitness.com
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,100
    @Gloersen Don't be too quick to think that's too much fin. Matt Brown gave me Marcus's A2 settings which were long and deep like that. I thought too much. By the end of the year, I was pretty much where Marcus was.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

If any one is looking for a 67" (Black/Red) I have one for sale, 7 sets rode w/250 dual lock on it $950 send me a PM
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 305 Baller
    Rode a 67 a3 today, I think my s2 could be for sale..
    www.skyfitness.com
  • ktm300ktm300 Posts: 408 Solid Baller
    I am in between on the size. Go up or down with this ski? 185lbs 6'
  • ktm300ktm300 Posts: 408 Solid Baller
    Skiing at 34
  • Same here KTM300.
    Am I a jumper that wants to be a slalom skier? Or a slalom skier that wants to be a jumper?
    alex38
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,100
    Man, if it wasn't 40 degrees in Houston right now, I would find it damn hard to not buy an A3 to play with.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

edited January 2013
    @ktm300 at 170-175 the 67” ski is certainly not too long for me at 34. If 185 minimum I’d be leaning toward the 68”. Advise you contact [greg at diabloshores dot com] for input & the product.

@ShaneH; correct, the settings MB recommended are decent, a lot of speed & width through the turns & not too much tip in the offside as I would have surmised. With that setup was having trouble pulling off a quick recovery turn when running late, which is frequent.

This ski, imo, really shines when ridden on a high edge and rolls smoothly, easily to the inside edge. It then carves aggressive, quick turns while maintaining velocity through the turn to hookup; stay connected, then it rockets gaining angle into the centerline with a crisp edge change. If one hammers a turn and stands up at the 2nd wake, then not so good into the onside turn, but that is essentially true with any ski; just seems more apparent on the A3.

I can’t accurately comment comparatively whether some skis ride deeper, but the feeling is that the A3 does ride relatively deep; it has been solid in the turns; very few offside tail blowouts (none really) even with plenty of tip & cooler water. Compared to the 67” Fusion I’d say it’s physically more demanding (could be setup, 67" at 34 & 175lbs, etc.), but the aggressive attribute is preferred. Space, width, and little loss of velocity through quick, sharp turns is what the A3 delivers.

@MShaw200, holy mackerel! I can only dream of a plethora of 39’s! I do expect this ski to have me seeing some purple with reasonable consistency though.

Always curious about setup #’s though if anyone cares to share.

Had 10 days of air >68 & water >65, and glass, so have been able to do quite a bit of tweaking. Currently sold on FB 29.5”, a DFT of .765 and lengths from 6.848 – 6.864, depth from 2.508 to 2.515, the deeper fin doesn’t seem to impair the ability to roll and still have a quick, low-radius turn. A lot of fin settings have been decent with the DFT in the .76 - .765 range.

This A3 does rock!
  • WishWish Posts: 8,013 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @MShaw200. Amazing skiing for this time of year. Does help its been 10 degrees above normal here in Central FL.

@Gloersen maybe you mentioned this on another thread but I gotta ask cause I missed it. WHAT HAPPENNED TO YOUR HEAD?? Love that lake behind your head. Set a PB on it this past Oct tourny.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    edited February 2013
    Reflex 29.5 - .770/6.846/2.506/8

Real close to $$$ settings, at least pretty darn close.

@Ed_Johnson - how many sets so far & what do you think?

• dave2balldave2ball Posts: 691 Crazy Baller
    I have a 66" that a fire buddy of mine does not want and need to sell. 900.00
  • skihartskihart Posts: 520 Solid Baller
    Dave, PM sent!
  • alskialski Posts: 25 Baller
    Does anyone have the size chart? I'm 5' 11" 170 lbs. 36 mph skier. Coming off a 66.5" A2. Do I go 66" or 67"?
    Have a 67" A3 for sale also, only 5 sets on it...$950 blank
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,188
    @Gloersen: Only three sets so far, but I Love this thing...On my S2, I felt I pushed it as far as I could. The A3 is without limits...All your previous comments were right on...This ski LOVES aggression.

My factory setup was similar to yours. Decided to forget that and used my best S2 settings which had the same fin...6.750 Jaws, 6.820 tips, 2.500, .750 9 degrees for cold water.

Ski rocked from the start. Really tight turns with great acceleration, wide and early. It tends to ride tip high though..Only problem I had was it did not like to be forced into a turn if running late at all...Totally my fault for adding a slight rotation at the end of the turn....Subconscious sees the buoy and says "TURN NOW." In the Lake for sure....Did that a couple of times and learned my lesson.....If I am countered at the apex, slightly free of the boat, with a tight line, and slide the hip to the handle, the turn is unreal. Key is Patience not Panic....Slight Spike for acceleration and cast out off the centerline, and you are golden.

For my third set today I added some tip, 6.830....Cured any tendency to overturn, but felt a little to stable...Plan to split the difference for the next set at 6.825 and 8 degrees wing. Hope to be in the zone to capture back some of the quickness, but not easily overturning.

Let me know how your doing on yours, and thanks for all your previous info...It was really helpful.......Ballers helping Ballers.....ED
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    @Ed_Johnson - it's quite a ski.

Going to keep moving forward until diminishing returns .765 to .77 better, .775 tomorrow.