New old boats?

thagerthager Posts: 4,359 Mega Baller
People know that when an ECM is replaced it starts at zero, right? I have a real hard time believing some of the claims I read. Åm I the only one questioning some of them?
Stir vigorously then leave!

Comments

• BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,999
    edited December 2012
    Actually, I don't question it at all. I work part time at a nautique and mastercraft dealership. Soooo many people do not use their boats. We've sold $120k wakeboard boats and they only put 20 hours on em in a year.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• thagerthager Posts: 4,359 Mega Baller
    @ ShaneH Not saying all of them. What you mention is reasonable. I have trouble with the 8-10 year old boats that have been locked away and sold by a little old lady from Pasadena whose son was in the war blah blah blah. Only 39 hours etc. Bull!! Also funny how Eastcoast/leftcoast boats make it to the mid-continent for sale etc. Never been used in saltwater? Not what I saw when looked at. Just saying buyer beware. Pretty easy and cheap to buff up a well cared for boat and throw in a new ecm, PP chip, etc then up the asking price for low hours. Sure wasn't the story when I contacted the actual owner for info. Ok, I'm done venting.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,498 Mega Baller
    edited December 2012
    I bought a 99 response last year with 156 hrs. It hadn't been used in 4 years. I had to do a lot of work because of the lack of use. Pulled and cleaned gas tank, fuel pump was locked up- so replaced. Most of the hoses on the engine were rotten. I knew there would be problems from setting up so it was expected.

A person might be better off getting a used boat with more hours that has been cared for properly. Low hours can have its own set of issues.

There are a lot of boats out there so I'd say if something sounds fishy, walk away from the deal.
    edited December 2012
    @ gregy Totally agree! Boats are like airplanes. Better if used. I'm not looking for a new boat. I like mine. I was checking one out for a friend. Sounded fishy and was a waste of time.
  • MSMS Posts: 5,056 Mega Baller
    Anytime you see a pre-ZO boat with ZO installed, you know that the ECM was flashed and hours were back to 0000.
    Shut up and ski
    True, or ECM changed out but nothing keeps the post ZO guys from doing that either. Also could be an engine change or a tach change involved.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,744 Mega Baller
    We bought our 92 Prostar 190 in '05 with 1000 hrs. It still looks and pulls us fine From 15 to 35 at 1350 hrs
    @ALPjr 92 was a great boat! Nothing wrong with higher hour boats just don't sell them and claim lower hours by changing the hour meter or the ECM to get more $. That's what I'm saying. Like selling a car and turning the odometer back. Not ethical, and illegal for cars. Boats I don't know.