Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

USAWS possibly looking to mandate Site Liability Insurance?

FYI to lake owners and tournament organizers: USAWS possibly looking to mandate Site Liability Insurance

Source:
In the USAWS vs. Ball of Spray thread, OB posted the board packet for the upcoming meeting. That packet contains the minutes from the EC meeting held this past December. Page 28: "Action Item #2: HQ will investigate whether mandating site liability
insurance might possibly reduce the cost of our insurances for those sites
hosting tournaments,"

Comments

• lottawattalottawatta Posts: 127 Baller
    Sorry, it was the BallOfSpray vs. AWSA thread, not the USAWS vs. Ball of Spray thread as I erroneously stated above.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,242 Mega Baller
    I know of one.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,163
    I know of a couple.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,521 Mega Baller
    they already mandate additional liability coverage for Promo boats, so why not for tournament sites, makes sense to me
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • lottawattalottawatta Posts: 127 Baller
    I guess it is all well and good for those who buy the lake policy through Global or have coverage through a property owner's association, a farm policy, or an extension of their homeowner's policy...........But for those who ski on public or semi-private water, and rely on the basic liability coverage a sanctioned practice or tournament provide, skiing just got more expensive.

What abut the clubs who ski on public water? This year they all had to become trained drivers to satisfy USAWS. Next year they may have to buy a liability policy in order to satisfy USAWS. I know of one club specifically who has an active membership of skiers who ski into -35 and -38, don't ski tournaments (or haven't for some time), but satisfy USAWS requirements for the illusion of insurance it provides. The club's sanctioned practice insurance gives the local authority a warm fuzzy feeling and allows them to keep installing their slalom course year after year.

Good luck trying to get an affordable liability policy for a group of five familes who may keep a slalom course and a dock on a body of water where John Q. Public can fish, cruise, or ride their PWC's.

Additionally, I don't have liability coverage off my property when I uproot my ski club's equipment and take it to a couty park to host events like the Jr. U.S. Open or Disabled Worlds. Where does that leave me?
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,163
    I foresee USAWS mandating themselves out of existence when the clubs and members stop paying them. I know of two lakes that have three 2 day, 6 round tournaments each who will stop having tournaments if this insurance mandate goes through.

I had an interesting conversation with my insurance guy not long ago. I asked him about umbrella coverage for myself. His reply was that he'd love to sell it to me, but do I want to get sued? He said that his experience is that people who carried high limit insurance got to use it because it gave something for the lawyers to go after to try to get a settlement from.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,381 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    What's the difference between individual site coverage and group coverage (USAWS) that covers all sites? Would this be another layer of coverage or simply in lieu of USAWS's benefit. Where will the $300,000+ USAWS pays in premiums go? Back to the sites who will be burdened with the bulk of the insurance costs going forward?
    Joe Darwin
    The_MS