Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wakeye: What's your opinion?

The wife and I are considering purchasing a Wakeye for the upcoming season. Need some honest opinions about product functionality, reliability, etc.

Are there any substitute products that work better? As always, thanks for the input.

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 6,180 Mega Baller
    Do you have a link to the product?
  • aswinter05aswinter05 Posts: 363 Baller
    wakeye.com

Saw someone post the link in another thread. It's exactly what we've been needing. Just want to make sure the product is worth the price.
    Well Tracker makes something similar wakevideo.com

Ski-Doc is coming out with something this season too it is in the last phases of testing http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CHJiJiLx3Bc
  • WishWish Posts: 8,095 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @MattP How do you change the line with the tracker? Do you lift it off each time or is there an opening I'm not seeing. Just wondered.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    @wish I have not personally seen one yet but I think you just lift it off. I will see if I can find the other images of the product.
  • JibboJibbo Posts: 142 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Heres the link to Wakeye http://www.wakeye.com/
    The iPhone Gopro Camcorder video camera mount
  • JibboJibbo Posts: 142 Water Ski Industry Professional
    edited January 2013
  • darrendarren Posts: 38 Baller
    edited January 2013
  • DanEDanE Posts: 922 Crazy Baller
    @darren , might wanna watch where you put youre thumb when you scroll with your phone.
    People can get the idea you're in a grumpy mood
    MattP
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,417 Mega Baller
    @aswinter05 - dunno if he's being abusive, seems like he might own a company that produces a significantly similar product. And that their product is already on the retail market.

And here I was only aware of the old tracker system.

• HortonHorton Posts: 29,408 Administrator
    @darren
    I sent an email to the owner of Ski-Doc with our message and email address.

@aswinter05
    I am not sure if you intended to flag @Darren's post as abusive but I am going to clear it. If I am missing something please send me an email or private message. [email protected]

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• HortonHorton Posts: 29,408 Administrator
    FYI- I love that you guys can mark posts with flags (abusive). It lets me know when someone is really unhappy. It also happens by accident sometimes.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,038 Mega Baller
    The Wakeye design seems pretty similar in concept to the Trakker. I have a Trakker and don't always use it because it is a bit of a hassle to put on and off. There is also the issue of delay with the rope which you cold see in the Wakeye video as well. Finally it can be pretty touchy to the type of camera being used with some issues with stability.

I don't know what the exchange rate is but pricing looks to be similar between the Wakeye and the Trakker.

The e-z-cam looks interesting like a nice simple design. It would be good to see some slalom course video with it.

None of these systems work for tricks if you use a release. I know that Masterline made a camera mount that worked for tricks I am not sure if they are still marketing them.
    Mark Shaffer
    I thought the wakeye video was solid. I see what you mean by the delay but that's how we usually try to record our videos anyway. It's kind of nice to get that HUGE spray in the frame. Makes for really nice still-shots if you have a high-res video camera.

Sorry about the flag. It wasn't accidental. The post just looked fishy to me and the way it was typed. Thought the prior dislikes on other comments were weird too. I meant no harm I assure you. Just wanted to bring it to the attention of the admin in case it wasn't a legit post or user. I apologize once again. I'm sure the dislikes were accidental and the post had good intentions.
    Has anyone used these camera mounts with a Kodak Playsport? I noticed the ski-doc's video featured what looked to be a mounted Playsport.

So excited to utilize one of these mounts. This summer will mostly by my wife and I in the boat with no passenger to record. I've found the use of video vital to improving my sets. And also the excellent input from some of you rock-stars :)

• jwroblewjwroblew Posts: 143 Baller
    looks like you could easily make your own "ski doc" or "e-z-cam" with a piece of PVC pipe
    aswinter05
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    theres a hole bunch of 'e-z-cam' companys on google all doing different stuff but no water ski site i could find
    @jwroblew - most likely.

I have a PVC slip cover for my pylon as a pole for the tarp after having the factory poles fall over in storms. So I got a big diameter that slips down to the carpet, then a reducer that fits a small bit that sits on the pylon ball.

edited February 2013
    @darren - people are weird.

Got US dist or US shipping costs? my bro would like something like that.
    darren
    edited February 2013
  • jwroblewjwroblew Posts: 143 Baller
    PVC pipe and cap would cost around $10 and a nut and bolt to screw into the bottom of your camera $0.25. $10.25 < $75. Also looking at the e-z-cam website I couldn't see any way to shorten the rope and still use the mount, there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the extra rope to go, so do you have to take your rope completely apart for the mount to work. At least the ski doc looks like you can shorten the rope.
    edited January 2013
    @jwroblew - watch their videos, essentially you aren't "doubling" the rope on the pylon or looping, as the design is supposed to "capture" the loop so it cannot jump off the pylon.
    darren
    edited February 2013
    edited February 2013
    edited February 2013
    @darren do you know if the ez cam will work with a Kodak Playsport video camera? You mentioned it works for any device but I just wanted to double check :) Thanks for the help
    edited February 2013
    edited February 2013
    edited February 2013