Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest Coaches - an open-ended "poll"

ToddLToddL Posts: 2,859 Mega Baller
In another thread, I shared my thoughts on what defines a Great Coach. I've included that below.

So, based upon the below definition, who are the great coaches you've had?

Great coaches possess the knowledge of their sport. They are life-long students of the skills and are constantly seeking other ideas/methods/tools to further their skills and knowledge.

Great coaches are intrinsically fed by seeing their students succeed. They truly want to share their knowledge and skill. They are the people who when find themselves in a boat, just have to offer guidance even if not on the clock officially as a coach. If they are rated judges, they find it hard to refrain from coaching when in the boat and have to actively strain themselves.

Great coaches also know how to convey concepts via a multitude of descriptions. They understand the different types of learners and use this knowledge to reach their students.

Great coaches know how to gauge their students' rate of consumption of knowledge and govern their rate of information accordingly.

That's how I measure a coach's greatness.

Who do you see as a Great Coach?
-- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.

Comments

• jayskijayski Posts: 1,022 Mega Baller
    Greatest coach...Drew Ross...words can't fully describe his knowledge, skill and ability to permeate your brain to do it proper justice and the fact he is one of the best, but under the radar ski designers...
  • drewskidrewski Posts: 30
    Greatest trick coach . . . Libby Van Treese!!!
    slay buoys. do chicks. make big spray
    sb_dc_mbs_13
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,345 Crazy Baller
    I've only been coached by about a half dozen different pros but of that group the one who meets all the criteria listed above, hands down it would be Matt Rini. Item by item above you've described Matt to a T. I've also had some great coaching by decent skiers you've never heard of but of the pro's it's gotta be Matt.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    Brady
  • ntxntx Posts: 840 Crazy Baller
    I had the pleasure of getting to drive while Chet was in the boat for about 3 hours. He never said the same thing twice to any two skiers. Too many coaches get stuck on one point and repeat it to every skier. Being able to spot and coach to the skiers weakness is key.
  • JoeMacJoeMac Posts: 47 Baller
    CHET RALEY
    ski6jones
  • ralral Posts: 1,849 Mega Baller
    Seth Stisher
    Tanguy Benef
    Rodrigo Andai
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 938 Mega Baller
    Marc Bedsole is great for kids.
  • skihardskihard Posts: 565 Crazy Baller
    My favorite learning session on the water with immediate and lasting results came from spending a day on the water with Trent Finlayson.
    His skills as an instructor go way beyond anthing I have ever experienced when I compare him to others I have given a fair amount of money too in my efforts to improve.
    I had so much fun for a day in Dec with Trent that I have already contacted him to spend another day with him on my next trip down to Texas!!!!
    Life's about working hard and then having fun on the water!
    I am - are you?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,586 Administrator
    T$ belongs on this list

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,148 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    edited February 2013
    I have had Schnitz, Seth, Charles, Chet, Lucky, Jodi and lots of Big Dawgs like Skidawg, Badal, Baker, Scott and Miller. It would be hard to say which was the best, but they all taught me different things that I have utilized. Most coaches teach you the same thing but some have a way of making sure you understand which language they are speaking.
    Shut up and ski
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,140 Mega Baller
    Chet, Seth and Trent are my favorites. I've probably had lesson from about 15 or more different high end skiers. The three I mention provide coaching, not just a lesson and I think meet @ToddL criteria.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,430 Crazy Baller
    I haven't skied with a lot of coaches, but Wim, Seth, Jason Parades and Big G (Gordon Epling) all helped my skiing quite a bit. Poor Jason had to put up with me when I was pretty new to the course. After giving me something to work on, when I would drop at the end, he would pause, and then say " What are you Marco, dyslexic?"
  • ralral Posts: 1,849 Mega Baller
    Seth Stisher
    Tanguy Benet
    Rodrigo Andai
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,211 Mega Baller
    All of them. Just ask them.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I've skied with Wade Cox, CP, Lucky, Jody, and Austin Able. Like @MS, I'd say I picked up something from every one of them. Lucky was the first guy I ever skied with (at his place). At the time I could run -32 every time, but got my ass kicked by -35 every time. Slack hits, OTF, nasty! A month after seeing him I ran my first -35. CP helped me to keep my handle with me (and ahead of me) off the second wake. Skied with Wade 2x and he got me to switch my grip, which turned my off side into my onside. Skied with Jody 2x and he taught me to have a better position on my ski (critical) and to quit pulling so dang hard. Last summer Austin helped me with my pull out and glide position (body and handle!) at -38, which was very helpful. In the end, I can't ski with the same style as any of them, but I have tried to piece together a style that works for me with all of my physical pluses and minuses. Wish I was 25 again!
    Jim Ross
    Skoot1123Brady
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Forgot to mention, my son Mitch, my wife Susan, and my brother Dave. I talk to all of them about what I'm trying to do behind the boat. They watch (or in some case just feel as a driver) and provide invaluable feedback.
    Jim Ross
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,220
    Charles Mueller and Mike Munn, both former pro skiers and coaches that I luckily get to ski with weekly. Both have been able to find ways to communicate to ME so I understand it. When I'm in the water, Munn has been heard regularly saying "Aye Mate, that didn't seem such a good idea did it?" or "Mate, Andy Mapple couldn't hold onto that. What makes you think you can?" lol
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,171 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    To me, it would be Jim McCormick, Jack Travers, Terence Fogarty, Marco Bettosin, Lucky Lowe, and Seth Stisher, not necessarily in that order or in any particular order.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,171 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Bettosini
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,402 Mega Baller
    Bettosini got pissed at me once in the early '90s when I went to ski w Sammy Duvall. I broke a rope on a hard turn and it snapped back in the boat and hit Sammy. Knocked his sunglasses off. I apologized profusely to Sammy, but Marco seriously wouldn't even talk to me after that. I was all "hey, it was your rope".
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,148 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @OB is talking about "The Stress Of Life" in the same post that he is talking about 50 different ski lakes in 2013. Goode Mid, Nano 1 and a new Mapple.

I wish I could be stressed out like that.
    Shut up and ski
    Skoot1123
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,402 Mega Baller
    @OB - one question: can you fly the 717 inverted, you know, if you ever need to?
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,306 Mega Baller
    I liked Kris Lapoint. He is a student of the sport and has evolved with new techniques and was spot on with ski setup. Didn't try to make us all ski like him, although, that wouldn't have been all bad. It was just a relaxed day of skiing and thinking.
  • raynrayn Posts: 410 Solid Baller
    He went to the dark side but the best lessons I ever had were with Mike Ferraro. Seth was pretty close. Drew and of course April and her crew. Also had a lot of fun and learned a lot with chuck dees back in the day.
    Ray Newmark -
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,859 Mega Baller
    Great inputs from everyone thus far!

For new posts as this thread gets longer, don't forget to read the "Great Coach" definition at the start of this topic to help you determine who you'd name as a great coach.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • turbogooseturbogoose Posts: 24 Baller
    I have found that one day clinics with 20 other skiers does not result in good quaility coaching. To me, good quality coaching involves a number of sets with the same coach. Best is repeating days so the coach can fully understand thier student and instruct accordingly. My two favorites are Seth Stisher and Chet Raley.
    Ed_Obermeierski6jones
  • WishWish Posts: 8,269 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I had the oppertunity to spend some time with Seth as a driver on his photo shoot her in Orlando. No coaching or anything. Just some chatting. Simply put....a nice guy. Would welcome the oppertunity to be coached by him.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Going way back, to 1964 Spring. I went to Joe Cash's in Sarasota for about a week. One of the first ski schools, I believe. Coach of Billy Spencer in that era. His operation was in a bay, but it was still ocean water. No sidecurtains on the ramp "can't keep them on". Had one of the very early Ski Nautiques. Also the Joe Cash Kon-Kav ski was big at that time. Ski worked, but was thin in the middle of the concave and tended to split in half.

Anyway, I got so I actually ran 36 mph (once), and added maybe 20 feet of jump distance. Then proceeded to get into all sorts of bad habits back home that Summer. But, he had a couple of key points that I think still are pertinent:
    --Accelerate into the ramp (vs. flattening out/coasting)
    --Don't spring on the ramp: EXPLODE!