Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Rides on D3 Quest

HortonHorton Posts: 30,586 Administrator
edited March 2013 in Reviews
I took two sets on the D3 Quest today. Considering the time of year it is hard to say too much because I am all screwed up by the menace known as winter. It is clear that the ski is wicked fast and makes a lot of angle. I rode it with and without wing. You want to ride this ski with a wing. You want to ride this ski.
After only 2 sets but I am pretty stoked about this ski.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

danbirch

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 30,586 Administrator
    FYI- video shot with Wakeye

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• MurrskiMurrski Posts: 191 Baller
    @Horton - At least you're skiing man and not bad at all for this time of year! Looking forward to more feedback on the Quest. Curious about the video zoom - can you bring it in closer or are you trying to hide the winter coat you put on this past season? haha - you are not alone if so!
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,683 Open or Level 9 Skier
    edited March 2013
    You short on cash? I bet Craw will pay you to remove that video from the Internet:)
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,420 Mega Baller
    Mine will be here any day....can't wait
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,022 Mega Baller
    @ Horton What line length was the second pass in the vid? Couldn't make out he rope color...
  • Tim VaioTim Vaio Posts: 35 Baller
    I picked up a 67" Quest from Paul yesterday. I skied the first set on my existing 2011 X7 and the second set on the Quest. After the first pass on the Quest, my son told me it looked smoother with more angle than he had ever seen me. I noticed that the ski immediately was stable, got great angle on both sides with little effort, accelerated all the way thru the wakes with little effort and had me in better position coming into each buoy. I had standard fin settings and I ride double hardshells and had the front 29.5" from the tail of the ski. It felt extremely comfortable and I noticed I was lesss tired at the end of the set than I was on my first set using my old ski. It felt like I had to work significantly less harder to ski on the Quest. I think there are going to be some great comments coming in on the Quest as more people try it!
    edited March 2013
    that was 35 off. Don't judge me. ... it is still winter
    @jayski

• Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,270
    @Horton: I thought the on-side turns off the apex looked really good !!!!
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,683 Open or Level 9 Skier
    I just flagged my own post for abuse of @Horton
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,220
    I flagged your last post for abuse of the flag.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

edited March 2013
    I got 1 ride on the ski today with different settings. Much smoother and flowing than yesterday. I liked it yesterday but felt like I have to get used to it. today I didn't think about the ski at all. it just flowed underneath me

• ralral Posts: 1,849 Mega Baller
    @Horton, would you share yesterday's and today' settings?
    Rodrigo Andai
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,590 Mega Baller
    @horton You on a 67"?
    edited March 2013
    @Ral there were two D3 reps out this weekend. Saturday was Doug's settings and Sunday was Bob' settings. I know that does not help. I think Bob's number are right on bone stock.

I am sure that if I had video from today it would look way better than the video at the top of this page. (Bob's settings!)

@Gregy Yes

edited March 2013
    Just to wrap this up. I got three sets total on the ski. That is no where near enough for a review but I can say that I think this is a very refined slalom ski. It is the kind of ski that lets you worry about your skiing not what the ski is doing.

This exact ski is going to Mexico next week without me but I hope to get a ski to review soon.

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,306 Mega Baller
    Like it too much and we may start calling you Johnny Quest.

I know, bad, but late Sunday night doing tax work...
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,123
    @Horton will never ride the same ski for more than its breakin period.....Maybe Johnny Bravo
    Bob Grizzi
    A_B
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,148 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Horton I think you are gradually getting hooked on the wing and are starting to not ski well when you do not have it on.
    Shut up and ski
    @MS not exactly. On some skis I do better with it on some skis I do better without. As I've always said 34 mile an hour skiers should try it.

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,148 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Your trend lately has been liking the wing. The more you ski with the wing on your own ski, the harder time you will have skiing without it on your test skis.
    Shut up and ski
  • 0419604196 Posts: 128 Baller
    @Horton PLEASE STOP THE SKI TESTS, my wallet cannot keep up with this, I owe the IRS, my parents, the bank, my girlfriend, people I don't even know and now I want a new ski! How can I even start to justify this?? Who the heck cares, I'm going to demo a Quest. Damn you Mr Horton!
    Ron Messenger
    @04196
    I had two friends call me to day asking if I knew when they could get a Quest.
    I called D3 and lucky for you skis are are shipping every day. Do you need the phone #?

• 0419604196 Posts: 128 Baller
    edited March 2013
    @Horton No unfortunately (fortunately) I am well hooked up here in the Seattle area but my wallet still does not like you right now!
    Ron Messenger
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,077 Mega Baller
    Oh Crap!! JD's got one waitin for me this weekend. This year is the best in a while for new ski's.
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • Nick SullivanNick Sullivan Posts: 676 Baller
    My 68 is shipping today! Tomorrow afternoon its going to be behind the boat.
    Wish
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,420 Mega Baller
    Quest came in last night, riding saturday weather permitting.
    @bishop8950 are you running stock settings?
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,077 Mega Baller
    @dawg see ya saturday
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,221 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @skidawg I think so. 2.515, 6.940tips, 0.750flat, 7 degrees, and 30 1/16" on my Reflex. I have not played with it at all, and so far dont feel like I have too. When it warms up and I am working on short lines I will play around to make sure I have the best setup.

Cant wait to hear what you think! Especially compared to your Fusion.