Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do your kids trick?

HortonHorton Posts: 31,040 Administrator
edited March 2013 in Trick and Jump

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

Do your kids trick? 50 votes

Yes I have kids and they trick
40%
skidawgeleeskidrewRichardDoaneCamPhil2360elrKelvinslalom frogjdarwinlpskiergreghayesJody_SealralRazorskier1jwroblewkurtwski1831BroussardJTW 20 votes
Yes I have kids and they do not trick
36%
boarditupscotchipmandislandLZywicki1Steven_HainesThan_BoganLieutenant DanBulldogJordanPatMWBLskierandjulesklindyampacdancrashmanTDETSkiJayswardco 18 votes
I do not have any kids "that I know of" and if they tricked that would be proof they are not mine
24%
HortonRpc29h2oskiski4xtcjackskiThe_MSpvysohlidBRYE_Ttfriessaswinter05SocalWaterSki 12 votes

Comments

• Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Oldest three events now because that's what you do when you are on a college ski team. Middle child (daughter) started tricking because she thought it looked fun when she saw her brother do it. She may pick up slalom this summer too (she heads to college in the fall).
    Jim Ross
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,287 Mega Baller
    Kids? Yeah ok. Carry on.
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 483 Crazy Baller
    Kids aren't trickers....yet. I'm suprised there aren't more trickers...you don't need a ramp. You don't need a course. All you need is a stopwatch. Essentially its got all the pieces that wakeboarding does with the obnoxious factor turned WAY down....which is a plus! As well, you can do it on public water in less than ideal conditions. Two of my kids (6 and 8) just skied their 1st tourney last fall. Working on getting them through the slalom course, but I'd be suprised if one or both don't gravitate towards it eventually.
    MattP
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    edited March 2013
    My son 3 events he is a final year Boys 2 skier. He is pushing 1500 points and should crack 2000 points this year. Frankly jumping is his worst event due to limited access to the jump.

My daughter fools around on the trick but I would stop short of calling her a tricker.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ralral Posts: 1,888 Mega Baller
    My older just turned 6 and she already has a 37" custom size D3 rubber edge with a special size custom made Reflex binding...
    Rodrigo Andai
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,989 Infinite Pandas
    Really? What other kind of skiing is there?
    Eric
  • Phil2360Phil2360 Posts: 367 Baller
    Mine jump on my old Trick Ski once or twice a month.

I'd like to see them on it more as I think it does a lot for their
    balance & dexterity on the water. Surely that's gotta be beneficial to Slalom.

Also like the fact that it can provide extra on water time with a softer touch on the fuel tank.
  • ralral Posts: 1,888 Mega Baller
    One thing that I find surprising are very good skiers that can trick over 9500 points and struggle to get into deep 38 off. But it happens.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • elrelr Posts: 341 Mega Baller
    edited March 2013
    We think of OA as four events - Slalom, Hands, Toes, Jump and apportion our training that way. Tricks are a really good way to keep competitive while the kids are growing into their slalom/jump bodies.
    Ed Rink - LSF Texas
  • AndyAndy Posts: 213 Baller
    Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.
  • Phil2360Phil2360 Posts: 367 Baller
    One thing I learnt a long time ago,

When you you do release for an A Grade trick skier, you very quickly develop
    a HUGE appreciation for their talent, and even more so their ability to recover
    from those unrecoverable situations.
  • wski1831wski1831 Posts: 161 Baller
    My son tricks, and slalom. My daughter never really caught the skiing bug. The boy does do a fair amount of trick slalom. It's great driving practice.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,697 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @ral those same "elite" trick skiers are generally very good jumpers too. Probably something about fast twitch muscles or something.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    Yeah because slalom requires no fast twitch muscles either...
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,697 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I know better @MattP. Slalom does too. Point still is that many good trick skiers are also good jumpers for whatever reason.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    I know just giving you a hard time
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,266 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Yes, I have kids (plural) and she tricks. My son has figured out how to pretty much snowboard 12 months a year.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,375 Mega Baller
    Both Kids national overall threats! One has won overall at the Nationals 4 times including open men!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

@lpskier I didn't even know you had a son although you may not know I have a daughter.
    Mark Shaffer
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,266 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @chef23 I do indeed.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    @lpskier I would say he tricks just on snow. That is a great picture.
    Mark Shaffer