Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E-Z-Cam Mount Review

MattPMattP Posts: 6,263 Mega Baller
edited March 2013 in Reviews

I got a e-z-cam mount from @OB before I headed to Orlando this past week to ski with Jodi Fisher at Jodis Ski School. I would have done an un-boxing video, but there was no box.

@OB made a slight modification the e-z-cam mount he gave me by cutting off a few inches at the bottom to make it easier to put on when there is a bimini. This also made it easier for the driver to pull it off the pylon as well.

I used the mount on a 2013 MasterCraft 197, which has the taller pylon, and because of this it tapers in a different place compared to the other pylons. This did not affect the performance of the mount that I could tell. The longer version of the mount may work better on the new MCs, but you could end up having to fight with your bimini. The e-z-cam is tapered so it is snug around the pylon. After doing the modification the mount lost some of its ability to snugly hold the pylon of the new MCs. Adding more taper higher up on the mount, or making the rope slot deeper would fix this issue for the new MCs when using the shorter mount.

I will say that the only issue I had while using the mount was that after shortening the rope it was a little bit of a pain to pull the extra rope around the front while trying to put the mount back over the pylon. A matching slot to the one in the front would help make the mount easier to use especially from the drivers seat.

I used my iPhone 5’s rear camera with no zoom on the front mount of the e-z-cam to film my skiing. The best way I have found to film skiing is to have some portion of the back of the boat visible in the video so you have a reference point to where you are. I should have zoomed in just a hair more though. The video on the iPhone 5 seemed to be very stable. The inside of the front squeeze mount is padded and absorbs some vibration as well. I had my Flip camera with me and I was going to use it on the screw mount, but I did not realize it did not have the threads in the bottom of the camera. I will review the top mount when I get a chance to get back on the water.

With any camera mount rope control is a major factor. If you are always taking slack hits out of the turn your video will be pretty shaky no matter what camera mount or camera you are using.

I would also like to try using the mount with a shock tube to see if it would help the tracking ability, especially with shorter line lengths and slack turns.

The e-z-cam mount performed up to the standard I was expecting. It is a good way to film your skiing if you do not have a third person to ski with or don't want to rely on your ski partners shaky filming. The multiple mounting options allow for a greater range of devices to be used with this mount. This is a good solid camera mount that fits all the manufactures pylons. If you are looking for a new way to fim your skiing put the e-z-cam on your list of possible camera mounts.

The skiing in the video was my last set after skiing for 5 days in Orlando this past week, and my 7th set of the season/week so let's not talk about my skiing here. The last pass had the most slack in the line and the camera mount kept up with me behind the boat.
I should have cut to 32off on the last pass for the review, but I was about to jump in my car and head back to Atlanta so I wanted to end the week on a good note.

For more information visit http://e-z-cam.com & to order in USA & Canada http://www.waterskiatlanta.com

You can read about @Horton's Tracking Comparison of the Ski-Doc Camera Mount & Wakeye here.

NOTE: The numbers on the video do not represent an angle or anything other than a reference point

Comments

• woolly110woolly110 Posts: 121 Baller
    video removed?
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,263 Mega Baller
    @Woolly110 I think it is still processing.
  • darrendarren Posts: 38 Baller
    edited March 2013
    Hi, firstly, nice skiing! You are smooth in and out of the turns and to me it's not just about making the course it's about being silky around the turns (which clearly you are) this divice is designed for all boats as the pole is the same width. The E Z CAM is designed to be a correction tool, a divice to learn from and help you improve. The footage is about what you can expect, you will always get a margin of shake (it only does what the rope tells it too!) great footage and nice skiing dude. Small cameras work great also in the phone cradle. The iPhone 5 seems to react from engine static for some reason like when you first hit record (I've seen this on other ones too!) go-pro is a good divice as is iphone 4 and 5 for the mount and a good old fashioned camcorder works great too! Always pop some lube (hair conditioner etc) on the inside before use as it helps keep it friction free.

Unlike other mounts on the market, E Z Cam is designed to take most divices and fit all ski tow boats So you can jump ship onto your buddies and whistle his/her own choice of camera on and go for gold ;)

We don't say it's 100% perfect,we just say its the "BEST IN IT'S CLASS"

I have tried a mount with a slot each side, test were not as stable as e z cam. It's worth taking the extra few seconds to trail rope back out..

George has some new stock coming shortly

Kind regards, darren "e z cam"
    addkerr
    @Darren Thanks for the complements on the skiing. I am still super rusty that was only my 7th set back.
    George did tell me to use some lube on the pylon, but with the sorter version on the new MC pylon I did not see it to be that necessary. I also always seemed to have my gloves on already when I thought about it.
    edited March 2013
    @Rico Thanks. I did not know it was a tournament! I was not worrying to much about my gates. Jodi was working with me (again) on my pullout timing, glide position and turn in point so I was adjusting a lot each pass. Hitting the gates is not my focus right now in the season. If I were to hit the gates, but be narrow on the turn in and have to hammer through to get the right speed, it would set me up for a wasted pass. Each pass I take what I did before and improve on it until I'm only missing them by an inch then not at all. I do not look for the gates when I turn in. I turn off feel and my position, right width and speed not by a visual que. As a lefty gate timing in imperative and I'm working on and improving it each pass. I think I went through 3/4 in that set. But really my 7th set of the season. Wait you were being facetious. Ignore the previous some what rant above ;)
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    @darren have you tested the EZ Cam with camcorders from Cannon? We have had issues with Cannon camcorders on some other mounts.
    Mark Shaffer
    edited March 2013
    @Rico Just giving you a hard time. Very nice. I wanted to get on one while I was in Orlando, but Andy was in Australia. We got pretty blown out one day so that cut into the skiing/demo time.
    Oh and to answer your question about my ski. It's sorta a homemadeish ski that was a R&D ski for a company that kinda no longer exists. It is affectionately nicknamed FrankenSki.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,586 Administrator
    @MattP Very well done and the e-z-cam mount looks like it does a good job.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

@Horton Thanks, I will also take that as compliant that I was skiing somewhat smooth. For me it was a little surprising for how early in the season it was. Looks like another 3 weeks till the next set... time to get ski sore again..
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,586 Administrator
    that is a good point. We all know that when there is slack it is hard for any camera mount to be smooth.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes