Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 Quest Settings and notes

HortonHorton Posts: 30,586 Administrator
It seems like everyone is heading the the same direction with this ski but I thought I would share where I am at.

I did try both deeper and farther back - I had issues with both.

With the fin farther back and all other settings the same - the ski sticks at apex of off side turn.
With the fin deeper I had just a tiny bit of tip rise and lost a lot of angle.

With the below settings the ski is very balanced and freak'n great. I almost ran 38 today. That is crazy for March.

6.937 Tips
.760 Flat/Head
8 degrees
29 7/8

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

Lovell

Comments

• skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,420 Mega Baller
    I have been moving in the longer/shallower direction also...unfortunately @MS sent an artic blast to Louisiana :-(
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
  • jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,381 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Crawford sent me similar numbers for the 68" - magic!
    Joe Darwin
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,123
    @jdarwin, can you share? Binding position, etc.
    Bob Grizzi
  • ralral Posts: 1,849 Mega Baller
    @Horton, 6.937" on a 67"? Wat is your water temp (in C if possible...)?
    Rodrigo Andai
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,586 Administrator
    Water is high 60s f. I really don't believe in adjustment for water temperature. Maybe for huge swings but I do not believe must pro skiers do it.

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• MattPMattP Posts: 6,263 Mega Baller
    @Horton I usually don't change anything for temps, but I messed around with changing wing angle with water temp. Seemed to help. Warmer water = less angle.

Wait you don't own a wing.. never mind
    8 degrees on Quest

• ralral Posts: 1,849 Mega Baller
    8 degrees? Your killing me!

Re adjustments x water temp, I had to adjust my past D3 fin lenght when going from less than 60f to more than 80f water temp.
    Rodrigo Andai
    T_C
    Wing 8 degrees

edited March 2013
    @skibug - binding maybe 1/8" forward of stock (30.5")- it's very close to stock.. Fin: 6.935 tips / 2.505 / .760 flat / 8 deg wing
    Joe Darwin
  • Nick SullivanNick Sullivan Posts: 676 Baller
    @jdarwin What are the settings that Crawford sent you for the 68?
    @Sully -see above post
    Joe Darwin
  • Nick SullivanNick Sullivan Posts: 676 Baller
    Oops, Thanks.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,469 Crazy Baller
    I'm considering a Quest and could just call D3, but with all the knowledge available here I'm likely to get better info from BOS. Question is, due to my advanced age I'm now skiing at 32 mph, what length Quest would best serve me? I'm about 160, ended last season (haven't skied yet this spring) skiing on a 66" RCX and able to run 35 off. I'm thinking going to a 67".
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    @LeonL
    First of all D3 has a great return policy so if you get the wrong size you can send it back.

Depending on where you are. .. there should be a local rep who will loan you a ski.

my guess is the 67 is the right size and I would have a hard time believing you won't love it more than your old RCX

I am now of the opinion that I need to go shorter. Ski is not moving out as well as I would like and a shorter fin should help. But, the turning characteristics are so good, I don't want to lose any of the benefits of the longer fin. It's going to be a balance in the end.
    Joe Darwin
    @OB can you make a different paypal for Mapple and D3? Some people have told me they are holding back from reserving because they did not see any way to differentiate the two days.
    @OB yes yes we know. I think people want to make sure they have a spot for the day/days they want.
    Bump-any updates on direction you guys are heading with the numbers?
    Bob Grizzi
    @skibug - we're still experimenting with the fin settings - one of the consistent settings has been bindings back 1/16" to 1/8". This seems to work well for most.
    Joe Darwin
    @jdarwin, thanks for the update. Hopefully I will get to ride one tomorrow. Weather in Charleston, SC is not cooperating today.
    Bob Grizzi
    edited April 2013
    @skibug - I believe you will like it - Seth is a wizard at setting up those skis since he was part of the test team. I tend to follow his lead regarding fin numbers.

It is truly one of the best turning skis I've ever ridden.
    Joe Darwin