Extreme tubing!?

KcSwerverKcSwerver Posts: 389 Baller
Tubing..... Seriously.? What are your thoughts? Personally I can barely stomache the idea that tubing is becoming a legitamate sport. Sure it's great for all the people who don't have enough natural talent ;) to ski trick or jump... But I never thought USAWS would add this to the list of sports it supports and do this to themselves...

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,516 Administrator
    That is what the press release said. I am waiting for @jdarwin to chime in

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

• BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,038 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2013
    Wow... That is crazy. What is next?
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,312 Mega Baller
    They are about including everyone even the masses, show ski, speed skiing ect. If we did not see it coming we were blind. It's sad to see USAWS go this direction but I guess if it keeps our governing body alive by bringing in more revenue and sponsors it could be a good thing. It will create a way for us to get people to cross disciplines to try skiing. Tubes do make up a huge portion of revenue for the ski companies as well that allow the slalom divisions with expensive R&D to stay afloat.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,504 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I am surfing the Radar site right now. I am shocked to see that they are Tournament Tubes for sale already.
    Shut up and ski
    skidawg
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,771 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Bulldog I know what's next.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board

• smanskismanski Posts: 47 Baller
    edited April 2013
    I love the gate article.
    Scott Hudson
    The_Krista
  • BakinblakBakinblak Posts: 36 Baller
    edited April 2013
    Tubing is a form of masochism and violence before its a sport and i love me some tubing in occasion. Driving is certainly a skill. You want to slowly ratchet up the difficuly for the person riding so after about 10 minutes the rider is surviving some lethal stuff and the oh shit moments keep coming.

if im tubing its because im sick of the gentlemans sport or just to shot to go another set and want to test my skills and will to stay on against a driver. Its like king of the hill. If i stay on i win. If i get knocked off then the driver wins.
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 649 Crazy Baller
    i dont know if it would be good in a tournament idea. but honestly, even though it tough on the body i love for my wife to floor it and do some giant double ups and chunk me and or my kids half way across the lake. we have contests at the lake, if you dont run or better your average skiin then you must ride the tube. i laugh so hard that you barely notice the blood.

Bakinblak
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,497 Mega Baller
    april fools. Nice one
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    kmenard
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,904 Mega Baller
    There are already 3 Extreme Tubing record tournaments set up on our lake. I think Tommy is pulling all of them.
    They tried to get Chad to drive, but seems he is spending time out in Utah testing the prototype Nano-Tube.
    Skoot1123The_Krista
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,504 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Carbon Nano tube with Ventrals is the way to go.
    Shut up and ski
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,312 Mega Baller
    @scotchipman do you know if Goode has posted their surface area numbers or a new interloc chart for their nano tube yet? What about the flex?
    HortonBrady
  • TomDTomD Posts: 54 Baller
    My Nano One Toob™ arrived last Friday from Fedex so I had all weekend to dial it in. My “Beer Holder” settings are depth 4.75, length 2.875 and DFT 5’ 11.65”. The flex numbers are off the chart. Anyone tried other settings? I’m thinking I need a little more depth (yep the beer flew outta the holder a couple of times).
    BradySteven_Haines
  • ntxntx Posts: 847 Crazy Baller
    But can you use double side velcro??? If so do you go with the 450 or 250? or, will they come out with another type to interlock with your leg hairs? Then, what do the girls use?
  • footloose42footloose42 Posts: 84 Baller
    I can definitely see this as being a big potential revenue booster for ski companies making tubes. Imagine the number of teenage kids who are going to want to get all the latest tubing gear.
    Brady
    @TomD - your numbers look good - but, if you only have one beer holder, you have a serious design flaw.
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,119 Mega Baller
    Glad i still have my old bad#$% tube in the closet!
    guess that makes me a closet tuber!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • EricWEricW Posts: 35 Baller
    Is this the new USAWS tubing? If so I'm in!
    Than_BoganSkoot1123Steven_Haines
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,771 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @EricW no that's cable tubing and it won't be added as an event until there's confirmation from the IOC that it can be included with the cable wakeboard application for the Olympic Games.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board

• AndyAndy Posts: 213 Baller
    What is the factory recomendation for inflating the Nano One Toob? Does inflation vary with water temp?