New Evolution in Fin Measurements?

webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
Anyone seen this yet or know anything about it? The website is pretty bare right now but it looks pretty interesting....

www.axiomtool.com
h2odawg79

Comments

• ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,283
    $499? No thanks!
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• h2odawg79h2odawg79 Posts: 598 Baller
    Very Cool! But, With a little xtra time, a notebook and a pen, one can do an awful lot of tuning for $499...

But, the idea is awesome! I'm sure in time a much more affordable one will surface....
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,160
    Pretty cool tool. I am not sure I would buy one though.
    Bob Grizzi
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited April 2013
    I've played with a recent prototype. It won't return the exact same numbers as a caliper, but in skilled hands, it's close and quite consistent. It's also a work of art and it's easy to see why it's so expensive. Its coolest feature is that it displays changes to all three fin measurements while any single change is being made. You just have to make adjustments until the three measurements match the numbers you want, there’s no measuring necessary. This will speed up the process a bit (or lots for some). It's well suited to someone who makes a lot of fin changes but calipers will still be needed for sharing numbers.

http://www.axiomtool.com
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    If you haven't seen one, here's what it looks like. It takes all 3 measurements at once.
    imageimage
    MattPBulldog
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,351 Mega Baller
    edited July 2013
    This is pretty cool, but I have way more variability in my skiing to sweat a thousandth...
    Than_BoganSkoot1123
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    For $500, I'll measure your fin to within 0.0005" every time I see you =)
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,687 Mega Baller
    If it could record my conversation at the end of the lake, or , better yet. , video my run and make the necessary adjustments automatically ... May be worth half the price of a ski.
    Seriously looks awesome, but a solution without a problem(?)
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    That looks really cool but I can't justify 500 for it. At 200 I might think about it.
    Mark Shaffer
    MattP
    Is $500 expensive? Sure. But so is $2000 for a blank ski, $500 for a front boot alone, and a $160 for one round at Nationals (not including airfare, hotel, and rental car).
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,504 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    At 500, not enough people will buy to make it worth the fin # exchanges. It will be like telling me my DFT needs to be at .705 with the slot caliper and I dont have one.
    Shut up and ski
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,516 Administrator
    I will unbox one this week. It it is pretty darn cool.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

webbdawg99TUP
  • jrsjrs Posts: 105 Baller
    I have not used my slot calipers since getting my Axiom. Why would I waist my time chasing my tail from length to depth to DFT. My time is more valuable and would rather spend it skiing!
    smilinjim
    How long does it take to set up the tool on the ski? Also, I would be interested to see if you take the tool off the ski and reinstall it; if the numbers come up "exactly" the same.
    Bob Grizzi
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,986 Mega Baller
    Maybe makes sense for a "club" to get one? Split 5+ ways, that starts getting reasonable. And how often do you really need to use it? But I'd like to be pretty darn confident that it had awesome repeatability before slapping down any cash.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • smilinjimsmilinjim Posts: 20 Baller
    This link should show how to check you fin and how repeatable it is.

This one shows how to dial into an old setting
    Than_BoganMattPwskierman8
  • jrsjrs Posts: 105 Baller
    @skibug I've never timed installing it but I would say I can easily install it and read all 3 numbers in under 30 seconds. Another time saver is to try and change length. With Axiom, I can see that this also changed my depth and my DFT. I can then set them back quickly. Also, if I give you my Axiom numbers you could simply set your Axiom to those numbers then pull your fin into position and DONE!
    Ok, questions answered. Pretty impressive.
    Bob Grizzi
    smilinjimBroussard
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,504 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    If all the BOS members had one it would be great. It would be a great way to share fin numbers for all the skis and put an end to all the different calipers.
    @Horton should make it mandatory for all members to have one.
    Shut up and ski
    @MS I'm sure Axiom is on board with that plan!
    Is there a volume discount...
    Bob Grizzi
  • colo_skiercolo_skier Posts: 784 Solid Baller
    edited July 2013
    Why should larger skiers get a discount? :)
    Not sure I know what I am doing. The boat goes I follow. Trying to perfect the deep water start. Squirrel!
    ski6jonesA_B
    we need more help...
    Bob Grizzi
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,477 Mega Baller
    I saw one in person at cedar ridge in june. It is truly a work of art, I understand the $500 price point, but not worth it IMO. Maybe at 200-250 range!
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,823 Mega Baller
    This is the reason I can't be a sales guy. There is so much stuff in the world that is not needed. Not saying it's not cool, but really...
    Than_Bogan
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,351 Mega Baller
    If there is a volume discount, I should get one free!
    edited August 2013
    This thing is AWESOME! Its so easy to get repeatable, quick, accurate numbers over and over! Later, I'll post up some "crossover" numbers comparing my slot caliper with the Axiom. A HUGE thanks to Jim over at Axiom. If you haven't checked this thing out yet....you need to.
    wskierman8