When the water temp hits 60 degrees I....

dislanddisland Posts: 1,497 Mega Baller
edited April 2013 in News & Other Stuff
Dave Island- Princeton Lakes

When the water temp hits 60 degrees I.... 71 votes

just wear shorts and vest you all are wimps
11%
TylerRtravnewsfu_manVONMANaddkerrmadcityskierlkn73JTDixon 8 votes
1-2 mil top just to take the edge off
38%
skibugRogerblockA_BChef23skibrainSteven_HainesForrestGumpJim Neelyrq0013BobFMattPDragoDeanoskiJordanski4xtcNot_The_PugWIskierdtm8119jcamp 27 votes
shorty
18%
Marcoh2odawg79lathompsonpopofjayskicrashmanwoolly110SkiJayWaternutFatrollaswinter05KcSwerverskihacker 13 votes
full wet suit. I hate dry suits because it squeezes my neck
12%
Hortondislandlcarneseast tx skierMickeyThompsonTexas6JoeDavidPBill22 9 votes
dry suit, hey I am a wimp and proud of it. Why ski and get cold doing it?
19%
scotchipmanLZywicki1RichardDoanePSMThan_BoganraynskinutjackskidbskiampacdanOne_SkiE_TbigtallweedMISkier 14 votes

Comments

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,335 Mega Baller
    Being cold while skiing will affect my performance. I definitely notice loss of flexibility and range of motion. Muscles perform optimally at an ambient temperature of 82 degrees (or so I have heard). I know in my own case, I will ski very rigidly and very poorly when I am cold. I also get cold much easier than anyone else I know - low body weight and non-resting heart rate in the 40s. And, if the air isn't into the 80 degree range (or at least some decent sunshine), I might wear that drysuit in water up to 70.

And, yes, I tend to get some flack for it.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,517 Crazy Baller
    shorty
    I do the shorty because I hate putting on a full wetsuit but I'm still a little cold with a shorty. I don't own a drysuit because if I really need one, my feet will be too cold to do anything in the water anyway.
  • PBDPBD Posts: 190 Baller
    I don't have a single response, water in the 60's depends a lot on what the air temperature is and where in the 60's the water is. High 60's and sun, I'm in trunks, low 60's and overcast and/or wind and it's a full suit.
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,517 Crazy Baller
    shorty
    @PBD The title just says 60. I read "60's" at first too but reread it to make sure I read it right because I'm in the same boat and I just do shorts and vest in the high 60's. Of course if the air is below 65-70, it's not really applicable to me because I won't go anyway.
  • popofpopof Posts: 113 Baller
    shorty
    Actually it depends, I've noticed at the beginning of the season, it's more of a full wetsuit thing as I haven't been in the water for a long time, and I can't stand that freezing feeling.

Then the water warms up, and towards the end of the season, when it starts cooling down again, I'm able to ski down to 60 or even less without even a shorty, or probably just a top "to take the edge off", as i've been slowly getting used to these temperatures. Being in a club here, it usually stops operating before I reach my "no way" limit, so i couldn't tell what's my low-temp point.

But beginning of the season will definitely have me in a loooong and thick wetsuit.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,504 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Aqua sphere cold water swimsuit
    Shut up and ski
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,351 Mega Baller
    If it is close to 60 and it is sunny and near or above 60 air, bareback for sure. No sun = Heater top.
  • h2odawg79h2odawg79 Posts: 598 Baller
    shorty
    Agreed with @MISkier

I have the Drysuit, wetsuit, Shorty and Heater top. So, I'll choose according to the day and cond's.

But, upper body Warmth is my Top priority. Too many bad things happen to my Back when the muscles are not kept completely warm.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,792 Mega Baller
    60' water, that'll be June in the Pacific NW
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Brady
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    full wet suit. I hate dry suits because it squeezes my neck
    I'm all about comfort. Being uncomfortable takes a bit of fun out of my favorite pass time
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • aswinter05aswinter05 Posts: 363 Baller
    shorty
    Shorty PLUS a long-sleeved warmer
  • BradyBrady Posts: 1,085 Mega Baller
    Skiing is like a woman. I am just happy to participate. I don't care about what she looks....er...how warm it is.
    I ski, therefore I am
  • auskierauskier Posts: 462 Baller
    missing an option.. I dont do 60* water..
    Toby
  • madcityskiermadcityskier Posts: 112 Baller
    just wear shorts and vest you all are wimps
    By then my 13 year old daughter and her friends are in the water swimming in normal bathing suits. Though I will agree with drysuits crushing my throat. When we're skiing in water in the 30's I'm still a wetsuit. Drysuits are just too uncomfortable.