muscular question

I know some of you guys are orthos or PT's. Last week I thought I'd possibly strained my left Lat skiing. Throughout the week, the pain has gotten a bit better, but still there. It's about midways between the bottom of the shoulder blade and waist and about 4 inches in from the spine. There is no localized pain. So I can't push anywhere and feel any tenderness. But twisting of my core results in some pain and tightness on the left side. Weird thing is, I can do everything. Went to crossfit 4 times this week. Pullups, deadlifts, kettle bell swings, pushups, cleans, wall balls, hand stand pushups, etc. Nothing I can't do. Skied today without issue. But the pain is still there pretty much all the time. And enough that I put off a 5 hour trip in the truck. Any ideas on what I might have injured? I'm used to muscle injuries having some localized tenderness, so I'm a bit baffled by this.
Shane "Crash" Hill

tjm

Comments

• mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    isnt pain just weakness leaving the body? i would try seeing a chiropractor if something is miss aligned or out of wack they have a device that can find it threw contact with your back area.
  • BradyBrady Posts: 1,085 Mega Baller
    edited April 2013
    @ShaneH I am not a doc, and @6balls and the other docs will have better advice, but this injury is very similar to one I had when I played college football. I would bet that you have a nerve messed up in your spine and that it is not your lat. They can show up all over the place. I would get to a chiro and have him do a serious adjustment on you. Mine was the same way...I would play games and be fine, and then be laying on my couch 3 days later and it would feel like it was on fire. I could also be a very minor tear in your lat and you could be reinjuring it by doing certain movements.

So, to recap, my advice is the following. 1. Go see a chiro 2. Date a new hot woman and C. Drink lots of Kilo Kai. I PROMISE you will feel better in the morning! :)
    I ski, therefore I am
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    @ShaneH I get some pain in the same spot but on the right side and my chiropractor says it is from a rib getting pulled out of place. A quick adjustment and I usually feel better. The problem I have is that it happens regularly from skiing and golf.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,283
    Now that I think about it, I have played doctor before. But that in no way qualifies me for self diagnosis. :)

I wondered if it wasn't a cartilage tear around a rib because it seems to be a little tender to compression of the rib cage today.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• ralral Posts: 1,925 Mega Baller
    @ShaneH, I like that way of playing doctor, give me some pointers on how to do it more often.

A cartilage tear or broken rib will NOT give you a mild and bearable pain... An intercostal muscle strain might give you milder symptoms and be tender to compression.
    Rodrigo Andai
    Once I got in my truck today, with my weight against the back of the seat, I could push and find one lower rib which is pretty tender as it wraps around towards the back. Can't feel that when I'm standing up. Fine to ski, but driving the boat or driving my truck for 5 miles makes me miserable.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

[Deleted User]
  • BradyBrady Posts: 1,085 Mega Baller
    @ShaneH Just wait until you have to wake up 3 times a night just to take a leak. As @OB says, it only get better my friend!
    I ski, therefore I am
    A_B
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 322 Baller
    Chances are you strained some deep fascia along the rib cage and only certain things bother it. If it hurts all the time get it looked at, but not by a chiro unless you find one that thinks out of the box, unlikely one rib is out, if that is truly the case there are way bigger issues going on. Sometimes strong anti inflammatories will settle it down. Good luck!!
    www.skyfitness.com
    Thanks, Unfortunately I'm highly allergic to anti-inflammatories. Except for Celebrex and my prescription for that is out. I'll have to call my doctor on monday and see if he'll renew it without me coming in.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

@Bruce55 Oh good grief, let's not even think this would still be bothering me in 6 weeks! Thanks for the offer, but we have a two day 6 rounder that same weekend that will preclude me from being in Atl.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• ralral Posts: 1,925 Mega Baller
    And, as @OB states, if you are over 35 and wake up without pain one morning, it means you are dead...
    Rodrigo Andai
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,351 Mega Baller

@ShaneH, if it involves soft tissues, and it sounds like yours might, try ART, see this link for Conroe (isn't that close to Cut n Shoot).
    http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp?strGeocode=(30.3118769,+-95.45605119999999)&strAddress=Conroe,+TX,+USA

Here is another link from a weight lifter's perspective:
    http://www.w8room.com/2011/03/13/cure-should-pain-without-surgery-with-active-release-techniques-art/

A muscle that has had trauma will remain in spasm and not function properly causing an inbalance and pain. These guys get in there and dig around and unlock stuff. Don't wait 9 months like my lake partner, who is now getting relief on his shoulder,,after cortizone shots and PT didn't help.

I don't think you want ART for the middle of the night thing though.... That would be some serious pain
    @AB It scares me that you'd even know what Cut and Shoot is! lol
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,351 Mega Baller
    I worked for Owens Corning a long time ago, and we had a tank plant in Conroe. The best thing I remember about Conroe, was leaving... haha. It was good. Went into a place in Houston called the Old San Francisco Saloon, for steaks and cheese. They had a burlesque-ish like girl swinging from a huge swing inside, and that is about all I remember. I believe it closed several years ago.
    HAHAHA Yes, I know what you mean. I don't live in Conroe. Just ski there. Yeah, Old San Francisco Steakhouse closed 6 or 7 years ago.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,516 Administrator
    Call @MrJones

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes