Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strada Boots - how do you release, with or without liners?

ZmanZman Posts: 1,557 Crazy Baller
New to Strada boots - just got them from Performance. For those of you who occasionally take a fall requiring a release, do you usually come out with the liner still on, or does your foot come out of the liner?
With laces not pulled too tight, should I be able to pull my foot out - sort of like making a snow ski binding heel release?
Razorskier1

Comments

• ZmanZman Posts: 1,557 Crazy Baller
    Thanks @rico
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,095
    edited April 2013
    When I had them, I had both releases. Sometimes my feet came out of the liners. Sometimes my feet and liners came out of the shell. Typically, feet came out of the liners.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• HortonHorton Posts: 28,557 Administrator
    @Zman what @Rico said
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    @Zman "Not too tight" means you can pull all or nearly all of the stretch out of the laces, but no tighter than that. If you leave some stretch in the laces, you'll come out easily but the support is compromised. If you pull out the stretchiness in the laces then go tighter, the support hardly improves, but the release will be compromised. The looser you choose to tie them, the more heat molding will help with support and control.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    If I come out, I've always got the liners on my feet. I pull the binding snug, and that's about it.
    Jim Ross
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 938 Crazy Baller
    Zman i have had both types of release liners still on feet or vise versa but most of the time the liners stay part way in the shell. I would say get used to running them on the lose side or see if RadaR has a suggested tension.
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,036 Mega Baller
    I've had both types of release with mine. The more violent the fall the more likely it is the liners come out with my feet.

I cinch up the lower lace (the one on the instep) pretty tight. The upper laces are just tight enough to stay on the top cleats. In fact when I put my boots on I stretch the elastic laces around the cleats. I don't usually adjust the position of the slider on the laces once I get it positioned where I like.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,330 Mega Baller
    Radar recommends a maximum of 35 lbs up force on the elastic lace that i suppose you could measure with a fishing scale or whatever
  • OmlandOmland Posts: 49 Baller
    I'm thinking of getting a pair of Strada boots for my new setup. I'm worried about how snug they are on your feet? I currently have animal bindings and I like having my foot feel snug in the binding. If you can't cinch the stradas down does your foot feel loose or is it still possible to get a snug fit where your foot feels pretty secure in the boot?
    edited April 2013
    @Jayski for me what you describe is too tight. My rule is that I must be able to easily get out without loosening the laces

• jayskijayski Posts: 877 Mega Baller
    @Horton

@SkiJay you need to be talking too, not @jayski

our evil plan to puposefully make our screen names sooo close together just to confuse you and cause you fits, eventually winding up with you in an insane assylum, is working as planned...

then we will take command of the intergalactic leader post creating a empire controlling the minds of all skiers commanding them to overthrow all governments and proceed with the banning of all wakeboard boats/wakeboards/tubes and putting tournament lakes in every city big or small where ballers reside to fulfill the needs of Ballers everywhere!! (enter evil laugh here)
    SkiJayMJ1
    Dyslexia

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,975 Mega Baller
    I run mine the way @Horton runs his. I tighten the bottom lace pretty tight but the top one is loose enough that I come out easily. I find this gives me plenty of control over the ski. I have never come out and left the liner in the boot it always comes out on my foot. I have come partway out before but those were never hard falls and I haven't been hurt.
    Mark Shaffer
    edited April 2013
    @Horton @Chef23 What you guys are doing gives you the maximum level of safety, which is good, but it may cost you a little connection with your ski. Surprise, surprise ... I've actually measured how much force it takes to pull all of the stretch out of the Strada laces as they are being done up. It's only 15lbs. of force which is well within the 35lbs. recommended as the limit by Radar, and I've had full releases at this level. In fact, if you pull the full 35lbs. of force on the laces that Radar says is okay, it's surprising how tight that is. It may put your feet to sleep. Having said that, if you like it super loose and are used to it, you can't have too much safety.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 832 Mega Baller
    edited April 2013
    Not to dismiss @SkiJay who has clearly gone about it methodically/scientifically... just adding my voice to the crowd, I run mine (RS-1s, actually) fairly loose as well, more like @Horton @Chef23 @rico
    Love the bindings because they represent a huge safety advantage, while sacrificing nothing in performance (actually perform better than the less-safe bindings they replaced for me).
  • scuppersscuppers Posts: 448 Baller
    @ShaneH What bindings are you currently using?
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,095
    @scuppers I'm on Reflex/RTP now. I loved RS1's but never liked the feel of the Strada liner. So I was only on them for 1 year.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• bdoughertybdougherty Posts: 86 Baller
    @Omland I just switched from animals to stradas, I have only skied a few sets with them. At first it was a big change and hard to get used to how loose they felt compared to the animals. I am getting more and more comfortable each time out and really starting to like them. Early in the season so no long term review but I see potential. I like how I can raise my back heel as I have a habit of skiing on my back foot.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,216 Mega Baller
    I run my back Strada a lot looser so my heel lifts up and down easily. Not sure if that is a bad thing for safety, but my front boot is very tight on foot and fairly tight on top.
    edited April 2013
    I used a digital luggage scale to measure how hard I was pulling on the laces. A fish scale would work too, it's not hard to "calibrate" how tight you are going. For perspective, my suitcase usually weighs about 35 to 40 lbs. Lifting it takes WAY more force than I'd ever use pulling on my laces, so it would seem that while Radar recommends not over tightening your bindings and lists 35 lbs. as a max., they are also saying they can be worn very tight and still release. But it's not an experiment I want to try. I feel locked in but can still release cleanly at 12 - 15 lbs.
  • LZywicki1LZywicki1 Posts: 363 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2013
    In the past 5 years I haven't taken a fall bad enough to come out, (either I'm doing something very right or not skiing hard enough). Most are not OTF and of the few I've had only once both feet and liners came partway out. Bottom laces tight as can be, uppers firm but not tight. Taking the ski off, its 50-50 if they come out or stay in.
    First thing we get rid of the safety equipment
    I actually removed my bottom laces about 400 sets ago and have never missed them. I can put my feet to sleep using just the Velcro straps if I fasten them too tightly, and they never let go; fast, effective & convenient.
    Good input guys - thanks! Looking forward to my first set in the Strada boots this weekend.

@Horton - you said you need "to be able to easily get out without loosening the laces". Do you mean while standing on shore - be able to step out of them? Feet dry?

@mwetskier - where do you find such info as Radar recommends 35 lbs max tension? I guess not that important because I am going with the overwhelming input of "snug" but not pulled tight.

Gonna run my on the G10 plate on my Goode 9800 SL at first. Once I know where I like the boots (front heel to tail of ski), I was planning in removing the Radar plates and screwing the boots right to the G10 plate. Is that what others on Goode do?
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,330 Mega Baller
    the radar info is found on a printed insert radar packages with the strata boots showing a photo of a scale and a guy pulling on the laces also has text recommending minimal tension and setting 35lbs as a maximum
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 778 Crazy Baller
    Any comment on Strada versus Vector boots in safety and skiing performance?
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
    Hmmm, nothing was in my boots.
    Would also be interested in answers to what @gsm_peter asked. Just bought my Strada boots and a pair of Vectors for my wife from our newest sponsor, Performance. Love working with those guys and gals.
    @gsm_peter The Radar Vector is the best selling ski binding currently on the market. It's not quite as light or supportive as the Strada, but it's very comfortable, releases like a traditional binding, looks great and performs well.
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 778 Crazy Baller
    Thanks @SkiJay

Sorry, maybe a small bit of topic?

I am currently on dlb Vector Al plate on my Theory. Works very fine for me.
    I do not deserve a better ski at the moment but Hey - I thought every serious water skier must have a spare ski so my X-mas gift to myself was a Senate with dbl Vector FF =0)

I am just interested to know what I am missing not going for the Strada boots in ski performance and in safety?
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
    First set on the new Strada boots after 12 years or so on Animals. I'm going to like them. I may have gone a lil looser on the laces than I need to at first, but they still felt good. Maybe snug the front down a bit more tomorrow.