Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to change the transmission fluid in a 09 SN196

PatMPatM Posts: 793 Crazy Baller
Never changed the fluid in the transmission before and my dealer (a marina that I trust) is two hours away. Any tips, advise, know-how? Thanks

Comments

• GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,095 Baller
    I found a small siphon pump at the automotive section at wal-mart. I get the engine to operating temperature and pump the old fluid out through the dipstick hole. My boat is 1994 Ski Nautique so it probably is not the same tranny. Pay close attention to the fluid type and capacity. You don't want to exceed the capacity. You may need a funnel with a hose to refill which you can find at an auto parts store. The boat should be in the water an floating when you check the fluid level, Check it both cold and hot to make sure you have no put in too much..
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
    bogboy
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 699 Solid Baller
    Make sure that you put extra rags around your working area, and bring some paper towels, so that you don't get any oil/fluid drops on your carpet. Good idea to put the base of the oil extractor on a towel too.
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 869 Mega Baller
    Use old bath mats. They typically have a vinyl bottom so any engine fluids won't seep through to the carpet.
  • ctsmithctsmith Posts: 281 Baller
    edited April 2013
  • AggieSkierAggieSkier Posts: 200 Baller
    Measure the amount of fluid removed and put the same amount back in. A 2002 Ski Nautique has a 2 quart capacity and the fluid reservoir has 2 levels. The vacuum removal tube needs to go in the smaller diameter dipstick hole to the lower level. I usually get almost 2 quarts.

Don't overfill and don't use synthetic fluid. www.planetnautique.com has lots of good info on maintaining your boat.
  • PatMPatM Posts: 793 Crazy Baller
    Thanks gentlemen. It sounds simple enough.
  • JC McCavitJC McCavit Posts: 503
    @JayG80 - What brand and type of ATF is recommended for the the 1:23:1 transmission ? Why do you recommend not using synthetic fluid?

JC McCavit
  • JC McCavitJC McCavit Posts: 503
    What brand ATFare the Baller's using in their Nautiques?
    JC McCavit
  • AggieSkierAggieSkier Posts: 200 Baller
    My PCM transmission went out about 12 years ago. I was using Mobil 1 Synthetic tranny fluid. The head technician at the local Correct Craft dealer (at the time) said the synthetic may have contributed to the problems. He said PCM specifically recommends against synthetic fluid.

I have also read not to use Type F and never put in more than 2 quarts. Now I change every 100 hours with Castrol Dex Merc but I'll be watching for other recommendations.