So what happens next? Is 2 at 43 the final limit?

HortonHorton Posts: 32,537 Administrator
Last year at Soaked, T-Gas and Smith both ran 41 off at 34 MPH 4 or 5 times each (4 ball course). When they got to 43 neither of them could get out of 2 ball. They both got 1 or 1 ½ at 43. The assumption is that the boat needs to go a little faster for them to get any farther at 43.

At 36 MPH CP, Asher, JT and Smith have all run 41 at least twice in the last 12 months (I think) but no one can past 1 ½ at 43.

Is there a perfect speed between 36 and 34 that is needed to get to 3 ball?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 32,537 Administrator
    It would be interesting to tell the pros they can pick their speed ... any speed

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

Wishaswinter05
  • estromestrom Posts: 512 Baller
    Picking their own speed is an interesting thought. I'm guessing it would eliminate the variable of the size/strength of each skier? Without thinking about it much, that actually sounds like a better suggestion than eliminating gates since gates signify the start of the course, much like a tee box in golf. "Things that make you go hhhmmmmmm......."
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,844 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Nobody will touch 3 this year or next.
    @scotchipman I just texted CP and told him to stop screwing around

MattPDmaxJC_ski
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,522 Mega Baller
    Come on they used to say 41 was impossible. Now it gets taken down at every tournament, in florida at least. Once they get more focused on it it will happen.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,375
    CP will get to 3 this year.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

I was sure Smith would do it last year

• DragoDrago Posts: 1,779 Mega Baller
    I think it will happen eventually. The guys who visit 2 more than once a summer will figure out how to turn it
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,332 Mega Baller
    @Horton Smith is finally on a new ski.
    I think CP JT Asher and Smith all have a shot. Only have to up it by a 1/4 to start.
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 2,174 Mega Baller
    Like 41 being skied this past year, I think 3 or more at 43 will fall this year too. However, it has to be the "right" boat. Once it starts happening more often in tournaments, then we'll see the trend pick up, just like we have with 41.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 7,054 Mega Baller
    I am not buying the magic speed theory. With properly tuned equipment and timing, I'd bet those top pros would go deeper at 34/-43.

But also, -43 is a HUGE jump. All of my (flawed in various ways) analyses have suggested the same thing: -43 is "off the trend line" in terms of the jump in things like angle, acceleration, force loads, etc. When you get that short, a half meter is an awful lot to take away!

So I think "we" will be stuck working on -43 for quite a while yet, even with all the technological advancement that seems to be happening right now.

But certainly it's not impossible, so somebody will run it someday!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    The_MS
  • DougDoug Posts: 51 Baller
    The record will fall this year 3 more 41s ran today in Florida at Mccormick's Will,CP and John Travers to many 41s already in the books for 2013

I am saying 3 1/4 this year
    we shall see
    edited May 2013
    @Doug 3 1/4? I will take that bet. I will believe 2 1/2

MattP
  • doonezdoonez Posts: 150 Baller
    I can't remember where I read it but I'm pretty sure Nate or his coach said Nate had got round four ball at 34 In practice sometime. It may have been in the article on Nate in the waterskimag recently
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    @Horton, it may be time for a wager on whether or not it goes down this year. I'm in and taking the under, I believe we see 3 ball rounded
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • danspencedanspence Posts: 66 Baller
    If I remember correctly I do believe I read an article on here about AM skis and how CP and Andy both train there. When asked what the course recored was they said it was somewhere past the WR. I think that someone will get 3 this year but obviously everything has to be right.
    'Gotta Risk It, To Get The Biscuit'
    addkerr
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,844 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Than is right.
  • aswinter05aswinter05 Posts: 363 Baller
    Scott Tynan says he's seen Nate run 4 @ 43' off (34 mph). @horton , I'd say that perfect speed for Nate is somewhere close to 34mph.
    http://waterskimag.com/features/2013/03/04/nate-smith-the-natural/3/
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    way back at the time it was decided to use half meter cuts after 38 off i bet no one ever thought it would go much past 39 1/2 off
    @mwetski
    36 1/2 off is a hell of a lot easier than 38

• DooSPXDooSPX Posts: 328 Baller
    edited May 2013
    I also believe CP, Nate or T-Gas will make it back to the wake off 3 ball soon. Having it be this year... Maybe....
    Jason Lord- 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 Powerslot-OJ CNC 4 blade
    2011 Best in Show 1987-2000 class MasterCraft Reunion
    Show boat - Weekend slalom tug
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,887 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    How about adding 6 buoy's opposite from the existing 6. Right hand slalom entrance!
    That would change things up some.

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,422 Mega Baller
    Amen Jody. I would have loved to have 5-ball be my onside turn about a zillion times!
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    @OB -- gonna have to make it to ATL now -- you didn't tell me you have magic water! Now, about that knee . . .
    Jim Ross
    MattP
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    I've heard of someone mistakenly putting in a left-hand SL course, back many years. Maybe they got a mirrored copy of the Rules.

HOWEVER, Chet Raley does have a left-hand SL course, along with his 2 right-hand courses. At one time, he was talking about a tournament where one of your rounds had to be run lefty. Maybe some people who've tried it have some comments. From what little I know, it takes a good while to get used to it. Chet's ski school operation is in Florida, near Boca Raton.

Of course, I've been curious since 2005 to see what a top pro skier could do with the narrowed course seen for one notorious skier at the Malibu Open that year. Was about 2 1/2 feet narrow on each side, or about 0.75m.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,779 Mega Baller
    Ed, I'd think, looking at how drM skied, it's good for a full pass at 44 1/2, and a maybe 46 off.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    A_B
  • matthewbrownmatthewbrown Posts: 572 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Not sure how many times we need to revisit this discussion but if the boat drives straight as an arrow, no one will get past a full 2 buoys.....if the boat path gets the max out of the tolerance and the rope too, on a perfect site with perfect conditions, then we may see 2 1/4 or possibly a half but no way no how with everything dead nuts on.....Parrish is the best bet for a piece of 3 b/c of his length
    The_MS
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Or, another Robert Wadlow comes along and takes a liking to water skiing. He was 2 1/2 feet taller than Chris Parrish is. Even maybe just a Manute Bol or Yao Ming.
    @matthewbrown I wondered how long it would take for you to chime in.

• liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,433 Mega Baller
    Parrish is the only one with the height to make 3. College teams should start recruiting from their basketball teams...