Can't turn on my offside at faster speeds

WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,517 Crazy Baller
Before I go messing something up, I wanted to get some opinions. Sorry no video just yet.

I picked up a 2012 Strada this year to replace my MPD and have really loved it so far. I'm still working up to speed and have never made a full pass at 34mph. I can run 28 and 30 on auto-pilot and can run 32 pretty consistently unless I'm having a bad day. It's the same story towards the end of last year as well. Since I'm obviously still learning, I'm trying to figure out if my technique or ski is causing me the most grief.

The ski is set up to the recommended settings, according to my calipers, with no wing. At 28-32mph, I can make smooth on and off side turns even at shorter line lengths. As soon as I touch 34mph, I can't turn on my off side. I get a load of slack, the ski goes straight, and it takes me forever to get back on the line. It doesn't matter whether I'm on open water or in the course.

Any ideas? Could I be pulling too long on my onside?

Comments

• gregygregy Posts: 2,590 Mega Baller
    Are you getting back on the ski in the turns. I had that problem on a Strada if I got back on the ski. When I get tired I tend to get on the back of the ski in the turn. I'd say you need to be neutral or a little forward in the turn but. As long as I didn't get back the thing turn like crazy, sometimes too much.
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,375
    Hard to say without any video. Could be so many things. Without video, it's a shot in the dark and we could be telling you the incorrect thing.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

MattP
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    @waternut If it turns fine at 32 mph, it should turn fine at 34. My bet would be that the higher speed puts you into a defensive state of mind, and defensiveness usually causes me to move back on my ski. No ski turns well with its driver in the trunk, so try to muster more of an attack attitude for 34. Force yourself to stand more over top of your front foot, especially during your off-side turns. The ski will respond with a tighter arc.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    MattPfreeskiguy
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 3,004 Mega Baller
    Again, this is a guess given no video... Typically, we lean harder with more angle on our on side but for a shorter duration. Thus, we tend to come out of our lean sooner and ski flatter into the turn causing down-course speed and subsequent slack. Further, you may also be in a defensive and back stance during all of this causing the lack of a finish to the turn...

So... Be a little easier or patient to load out of 1-3-5 ball, stay in your lean through both wakes. Think "bump", "bump", "smooth". Feel the bump of the first wake while you are in your lean. Feel the bump of the second wake while you are still in your lean. Fell a ski's length of smooth water after the second wake while still in your lean. Now, edge change with conviction and fully into your turn. You will be wider, earlier and the ski will come around better. Someone on BOS once said that the feeling of being early and having time to enjoy the turns comes from reaching the buoy width line with significant time to turn before you get to the buoy. That can't happen unless you have sufficient momentum generated across the wakes. This is enhanced when your edge change is about moving your ski from between you and the boat to out and away from the boat - a.k.a. maintaining outbound direction. (The converse and wrong way to edge change is to keep your ski on a static path toward the next buoy while your shoulders move over your ski and toward the boat. - don't do this!)

So, back to the simplest things... Problems at point C originated back at point A. Be gentle as you start you load and lean out of 1 ball. Load progressively to the 1st wake. Stay in your lean through "bump, bump. smooth" then move your ski outbound as you edge change. All of this should result in a rather nice off-side turn.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    MoggieWishThan_BoganOne_Ski
  • MoggieMoggie Posts: 105 Baller
    @ToddL
    Love the idea of "bump", "bump". "smooth"! I'm always being told I edge change too early resulting in me being narrow through the course.
    A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.
    ToddL
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,378 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    Shot in the dark, if the ski is ok on the onside and it,s only an offside problem, as others have said you are probably going defensive, sounds like you might be stiffen up, relax and keep those knees soft in the turn, do not be too anxious to get on it.

Looking Forward To Getting On The Water, It Has Been A Bleak Winter

• WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,517 Crazy Baller
    Thanks guys. I'll try to pay attention to those things next time I go and try to get some video. It could very well be that I'm scared and getting on the tail too much in preparation for the pull and never finishing the turn.
  • ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 873 Crazy Baller
    had the exact same problem last year...30 and 32 automatic... at 34 I couldn't turn 2 ball (offside) for anything.

my diagnoses of my own skiing was that I was trying to turn too quick and too sharp b/c I felt like a rocket ship coming off the second wake.

I needed to let the ski ride out a little further and just slow down the motion of my turn.
    Anthony Warren
  • freeskiguyfreeskiguy Posts: 5 Baller
    I find it interesting that there is no mention so far as to using the recommended fin settings. I assume that you meant it is at the default setting. I have never skied on a Strada so I cannot comment from experience about the dynamics of that particular ski but have read that a small adjustment of moving the fin forward will help with the turning. Seems like this should be considered @Waternut, since the ski is high performance, meant for riding it faster than 30MPH. But, I do believe that mindset might also be a factor.

My personal experience on my CR7 (different ski, but just for illustrative purposes), and I am 180lbs, that at 28MPH, the water feels like skiing through Jell-O. Bumping up the speed for me brought the ski alive.
  • WishWish Posts: 8,547 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Boot placement may help as well. I like what @ToddL had to say. Skied behind a Sanger 10yrs ago that had THE hardest but tiniest wakes (little street curbs). I remember holding my lean and saying "bump, bump, now" That boat actually helped my skiing.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 944 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Interesting. I just did my first runs on my Senate, and had the same problem at slower speeds. I'm willing to bet on that theory of me being too far back on the ski. Thanks for the help everybody.
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,816 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    At the risk of getting someone's panties in a knot, try rotating the toe of your rear binder (assuming it is a rotational binding) toward the inside edge on your off side. If you are RFF, rotate the toe to the left; if you are LFF, rotate the binding to the right. Try increments of 3/10s of an inch and see if it helps. Don't make any other change. If it helps but the off side turn is still at a different radius than the on side, keep moving the toe in small increments until the turns seem balanced.

Before doing anything, measure the existing placement of the rear binding in three locations: toe distance from the center line of the ski (if you have never adjusted the bindings, the toe is probably centered; you will have to establish a center line by measuring the width of your ski), heel distance from center (ditto), heel distance from tail, and the separation between the front heel and the rear toe (these. Write down all these measurements in a place where you won't lose them. If you don't like the results of the experiment, put the binder back where you started.

Good luck!
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,422 Mega Baller
    Assuming you are skiing like a champ, try adding a little length to the fin, or reduce depth.
  • escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 944 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. The shop I got it from mentioned the rear binding. I'll keep skiing it a little longer to see if I can just get used to it first before I go there. Then I'll probably ski it even a little longer than that before I start messing with the fin. I do appreciate the ideas though of what to try if I absolutely just can't get used to it.

Thanks