2 sets with Wim DeCree Yesterday

HortonHorton Posts: 32,531 Administrator
edited May 2013 in Technique & Theory
I took 2 sets with Wim DeCree Yesterday. Freak’n awesome coach. We mostly worked on my gate pullout out and turn in. He gave me a new direction for my gate.

More noteworthy than exactly what he told me is his approach. He did not talk a lot about specific movements with specific body parts. Instead he encouraged me to be more generally efficient and have less overall body movement. Perhaps a better explanation is that he coaches in a more holistic and less complicated fashion. We were working on a technical aspect of my skiing but Wim stayed out of the weeds and solved the problem in the simplest way possible.

Other skiers in the group commented that Wim simplified seemingly impossible issues and made them achievable. Another skier commented on how sincere and encouraging Wim is. There were 8 to 10 skiers at the clinic ranging from learning to run the course to shortline skiers and everyone was wishing for more. The things that Wim told me will be my focus for weeks if not months.

I am not sure how this applies but Patti Paquette describes Wim as a “precious young man”

You can find Wim at http://www.wimdecree.com/

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

Steven_Haines

Comments

• skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,570 Mega Baller
    Keep it Simple Horton....I recall someone telling u that before!!!!
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,531 Administrator
    @skidawg I do not recall anyone saying that.

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

Texas6
  • ktm300ktm300 Posts: 453 Solid Baller
    Wim is great. I am naturally prone to paralysis by analysis. Wim gives you concepts that in turn help correct specific physical things without having to break down the physical into a hundred pieces. He won't have you rubbing your stomach while patting your head. Can learn a lot about efficient movement just from watching him ski.
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,819 Open or Level 9 Skier
    edited May 2013
    My earlier comment was a joke. I apologize.
    Wim's skiing is perfect. I love watching him ski.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    SkiJay
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Watching pros I notice that they are all very "quiet" on the ski. Even when I try to stay still with my upper body I think I'm moving way more than they do. The other thing is while they are very still with their upper body, they are active with the legs. I tend to get still all over when I try to get still with my upper body, and end up with stiff legs. Always something. Oh, and @Dirt is right @Horton.
    Jim Ross
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,566 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    @Horton Almost 4 paragraphs and other than "Wim is a Freakin Awesome Coach", which we already knew, you didn't tell us diddley squat! That makes you "Awesome Not"! : )
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,332 Mega Baller
    The wisdom of @Bruce_Butterfield never ceases to amaze me.
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,375
    edited May 2013
    Is there any doubt that Horton would be a labrador retriever if he were a dog? No, No! Bad dog! Quit chewing on the table leg!
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,570 Mega Baller
    @bruce & @ shaneh
    Brahahahahaha!!!!!!
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
    You guys missunderestimate me. Yes the UPS man is a constant distraction but I am a HUGE believer that when a skier finds a really good nugget of information they should think about nothing else until it is totally ingrained. The year I really fixed my stack I worked on nothing else for most of a year.

I think that is why I was so stoked with Wim. He talked big picture with me and gave me something I can work on.

Texas6
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    Good advice @ Horton. I find it extremely hard focusing on more than one thing at a time. A friend of mine that I ski'd with yesterday gave me advice that really resonated with me. He said to pick the one thing that impacts your skiing the most and quit worrying about anything else until you feel it has become ingrained in your muscle memory; and then work on the next thing. Simple yet meaningfuladvice in my opinion
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,188 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    "missunderestimate"? That would be the opposite of underestimate, or we are overestimating you, so you are probably right. When are you going to report more on the side force enhancer?
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    @Bruce_Butterfield
    SFE is pretty darn interesting. unfortunately I'm about to have a backlog of skis to review.

edited May 2013
    @Horton you do ride a lot of skis. I don't know how you do it. If I don't like a ski, I can't stay on it very long or my back pays the price.
    You had a great season last year in spite of all the different skis and product reviews.
  • Steven_HainesSteven_Haines Posts: 1,079 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    You could pass the SFE's on to a qualified individual for their views on the product... I agree that reviewing skis with anything extra wouldnt be a true review.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,332 Mega Baller
    @steven Haines this is a very true statement @horton
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 556 Crazy Baller
    John I know you are very busy these days but......we could use some video of Wim in the pro skier section on this sight. I hate to go to other sights to watch him ski. Such a smooth style.
  • bhsbhs Posts: 282 Baller
    This is my yearly post where are ask Horton to send or sell me some of his skis...
    Every year it's no.
    But I keep trying, so, Hey Horton why don't you let me take that Quest off your hands why you demos some other skis?????
    Quest goes on rack soon :-(

To avoid any ethical issues I never sell the review skis.

MISkier
    edited May 2013
    @rawly love you man. Now sell me your lot.

rico
    @Texas6 You're essentially talking about the Pareto Principal. 80% of the effects come from 20% of the problems. In QC we go to great lengths to determine what the 20% is, then focus on that to alleviate the majority of the issues experienced. Makes great sense to do it in skiing.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Texas6
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 556 Crazy Baller
    Thanks for the video John.......You don't want my lot(you'd be too close to Wolfe)
    edited May 2013
    Wim is one skiing SOB. Geez, he moves back in at 1/3/5 better than just about anyone. 1 and 3 at 39 1/2 off are flat out insane.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Steven_HainesSteven_Haines Posts: 1,079 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    And... he starts his edge change before he reaches the wakes!
  • ralral Posts: 2,015 Mega Baller
    Man, those 38 and 39 were even better than his 32! Do not know if I should have said that...
    Rodrigo Andai
  • WishWish Posts: 8,547 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Video. Wow!!! I've seen that before but it's been a while. That is the most still upper body I think I've ever seen. Everything just rotates under his crazy level shoulders. His eyes stay soooo level. Ok, questions- How tall/short is he? How old is he? What's his best performance? Did he do Pro events? Big Dawgs? What's the skinny.? He made all that look like a walk in the park.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    edited May 2013
    What ski is he riding? What binding/boot?