Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Side Force Enhancer - SFE

HortonHorton Posts: 31,002 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

MattPA_B

Comments

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,310 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    I was waiting for Willie to say "I'll be back" or something Arnold like...
    Maybe it was the glasses and he is like 2 feet taller than you.

Can you show a close up yet?
    ToddL
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,146
    So, Hydrodynamics...what about it? Lift, drag, stability, etc.? How important is the placement along the length of the ski; meaning toe of the front foot versus toe of the back foot?
    Bob Grizzi
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,002 Administrator
    edited May 2013
    @skibug
    placement seems super critical right to left. You tune the amount of effect by moving the SFE closer or further from the side to the ski. The range is 1,2, and 3 centimeter. I used the 2 yesterday and it felt great until 38 off. I only shortened to 38 once so.. I think I need go to 1cm for 38off. Not sure.

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• gmutgmut Posts: 233 Baller
    @Horton so are you going to continue using this side enhancer on all of the skis that you test? $289 is a fairly steep price to pay for this new technology. Was the angle out of the bouy a fairly dramatic change?
    @gmut
    I am not sure how I am going to review skis and use the SFE. If I get ahead of ski reviews I will for sure ride the SFE a bunch.

As for angle, Hell yes. On early and easy passes the SFE is funky as it makes the ski want to arc in early but once I got to 32 and 35 it was really cool. What I really felt was all past the apex and at that point the ski turns a lot faster and further.

• WishWish Posts: 8,333 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited May 2013
    @Horton not sure if this is the final product but gives a look at them if it is. Are they supposed to be exactly parallel to the side of the ski? And has the option of placing it on one side of the ski (perhaps off side) been tried? What are they made out of? image
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • DWDW Posts: 2,368 Mega Baller
    So what exactly is the SFE? A fin like device that sticks in the water, a device that moves the binding from side to side or stiffens the side flex? I couldn't tell anything from the video. Sounds pretty interesting.
    edited May 2013
    Take a look at https://raptorwaterski.com/

The one I used yesterday was smaller than the yellow one on the Raptor front page

@DW it changes water flow -on the side of your ski - between your feet. Make the ski turn a tighter radius and exit with more angle.

• DWDW Posts: 2,368 Mega Baller
    @JTH: thanks, yes, it functions much like the front fin on a hydroplane. There are numerous tweaks that could be done to tune that device.
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    to me it looks likes a drag brake that will lever the ski around an be most effective from the apex of turn thru the hook up so back or front position will decide what part of the ski digs in and levers the ski around. way forward might make the ski turn finish abrupt maybe to much? back to far an the ski might not want to turn? maybe put in different places on each side?
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    When Chuck Stearns was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1982, he showed a similar idea that he had, but was like a little winglet sticking out of the ski on each side around the binding area. Don't know of anyone adopting it. Could have made for a "Filet O'skier" on a fall if you got hit with the side of the ski.
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,268 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited May 2013
    Seems expensive for what it is.

My guess is that it causes more tip to be engaged when the ski is on edge and leaves the ski unaffected during the pulling phase.

Interesting that you could tune the ski for less tip (aiding acceleration) than normal, and still have enough tip in the turn to make a tight radius.

Cool
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,042 Mega Baller
    So when you have no inserts in your ski then what? It seems a little thick too which may be an issue for dual lock users...?
    Horton
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Interesting concept, but I can't even keep fin and binding adjustments in order. The last thing I need is to start adding wings to the sides of my ski!
    Jim Ross
    ToddLPatmasterRazorRoss3
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,358 Mega Baller
    dft .74 fin depth 2.505 using 9 degrees wing 28 and 3/4 to back heel of front foot, slightly canted open for left foot forward, SFE at 1.2 cm and front of rear foot 23.25 inch from tail, using a spacer to lift tail of sfe...still haven't figured out how to put my calipers to it.
    We're all completely nuts.
  • matthewbrownmatthewbrown Posts: 572 Open or Level 9 Skier
    edited May 2013
    @liquidd ....one shot of jack and all the numbers come together nicely.
    Texas6
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    289 plus 10 for shipping seems very steep but I don't know what goes into making them.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ripa38ripa38 Posts: 55 Baller
    Tried the SFE and then watched (while videoing) Horton. Pretty much felt the way Horton described it. He did better with it than me. I guess that is what happens when you ride ten different ski s a year. Horton was off by a factor of 10. The SFE is set up at 1, 2, or 3 mm from the side wall of the ski. Some people testing it are running different numbers on offside than onside.
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,224 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Ok, I love to feel new things and would give this a try. Skeptic though, agree it looks like nothing but drag. Also, while I hate to be the downer, is anyone thinking about what it might be like to hook a shin or wrist on this in a fall? Ouch.
    Texas6
  • ripa38ripa38 Posts: 55 Baller
    I suppose you could tangle with it during an out of control fall, crazier things happen behind the boat all the time. The good news is that all the edges are rounded and it only reaches down the side to the just above the top bevel. I am sure you could some how do a filet of shin, but it does not look too menacing in person.
    So what differance does the adjustments do to the attitude/performance of the ski?. 1 vs 3mm.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    It's an interesting concept and I can see how it works, but "getting more angle" is a problem that doesn't exist. Any modern ski can already be tuned to deliver more angle off the ball than anyone can handle. In fact my coachs are constantly trying to get me to exit the ball with less angle so I can load the line more progressively. The only benefit I can see is the ability to affect one side more than the other, which again, I'd rather address by improving my technique.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    On the other hand, Christmas is coming, and what could be better for the tweeker who has everything?
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,287 Mega Baller
    After looking at their website and the shopping cart. It seems that you get 1 of these for the $289? or is it 2 and things just are not clear?
  • 94009400 Posts: 646 Crazy Baller
    Who's replacing the buoys that get destroyed by those things?
    @MattP they are a set
    @9400 they are not sharp and you are Not supposed to run the balls over

Lucas
  • 94009400 Posts: 646 Crazy Baller
    Sometimes sheet happens
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I'm sure that just like ventrals, the SFE has the potential to improve a given skiers best efforts, and for some people the effort and tweaking will be well worth it. Honestly, I'm just not enough of a tweaker on equipment to go there. If the new M6.0 can't get me through the next line length, then it just wasn't meant to be.
    Jim Ross
    MarcoKcSwerver
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,289
    Has anyone adapted a SFE to a ski with Dual Lock and Powershells ??
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!