Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connelly Prophecy

DirtDirt Posts: 1,594 Open or 55K Rated Skier
edited May 2013 in Skis Fins Bindings
I had the opportunity to ride the 2013 Connelly Prophecy today. I had been wanting to try one since watching Lex Brumagin tear it up and take 2nd at Nationals.

There has not been much hype about the ski so I was a bit skeptical.

The craftsmanship is impressive. The carbon top is flawless and the bottom is beautiful with the three V Steps. I had no idea where to set the fin so I went as close to factory settings as I could get.
2.496, 6.860, .805, 7*, binding 29.45 (Joel Howley)

The rear binding is D3 pattern so I mounted up a Mike Erb Special G10 plate.

The first ride went well. The ski was very stable and turned great with a bunch of angle on both sides. I was surprised how I could add angle and increase outbound with very little input. I don't know if it was a result of the Vs but the ski accelerated well. I was able to ski really wide and early on all of my passes.

I look forward to moving the fin and bindings around. I had been skiing on an A2 and then a 9900 Mid Ride for the past week and a half. The Prophecy was an easy transition. I was so excited about the ski, I called Horton after riding it. You know how much I dislike calling Horton;)

Edit:
I apologize for starting a new discussion. I saw @MattP 2013 Connelly Prophecy Settings and Notes after I posted this. It won't let me delete it or cut and paste it to Matt's thread.

I learned everything I know not to do from Horton

Comments

• skibugskibug Posts: 2,041
    @Dirt, is that a 67"?
    Bob Grizzi
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,007 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    @skibug yes, I can see the rookie sticker in the picture. @Horton can you merge our two Connelly threads?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,884 Administrator
    @Dirt If you go on a Google scavenger hunt and can find the old F1 numbers that is where I would start. That is where I started with both of the last Connellys.

I think @MattP has those numbers if you can not find them.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

@Dirt I'll give you some older Connelly numbers to try as well. They seemed to tame the ski down.
    Just found this from my 2012 ski.
    2.495 depth, 6.860 length with tips and .770 with head of caliper.
    Bindings at 29 1/4"

I think I did not run a wing. That is up to you.

• Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 597 Crazy Baller
    @Dirt , you should call Greg and see what he recomends for numbers!
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,770 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I got a chance to ride a 2012 Prophecy yesterday. The ski has potential. It seems that numbers are all over the place. Joel and Jamie are deep and short. Horton and the factory are long and shallow.

It seems that there is a consensus on most skis within a fairly small range, but these are huge differences. Given the time of year, it makes it a bit hard to get on a new ski. The tournament season is upon us and there is just not a lot of time to try a bunch of different fin combinations.

I tried 2.505, 6.835, 0.750 and 8 deg BTW. This was a guess and didn't feel right. My old Prophecy numbers from 08 were shorter and farther forward. Will give them a try when I can. Keep the reports coming Dirt.
    edited May 2013
    @MrJones 2012 or 2013? The two are different skis
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,041
    edited May 2013
    I am on a 68" 2012. I had mentioned before that the numbers the pros are riding on seem like they should work very well for a refined, high end skier that has good technique. For an average Joe like me the results were too inconsistent and irratic. I wound up close to @Horton on my own after starting near stock numbers with the exception of the FB because I am on a 68".

FWIW I am at 29.75, 6.838, 2.498, .770, 7°
    Bob Grizzi
    From what I understood, the skis are different cores only. Also, I believe the only differnce Joel mentioned was that he went fractionally forward with the '13 vs the '12 in regard to binding, but the fin was close to the same.

I am aware that most "pro" skiers run the fin deeper than factory, but DFT and length are usually pretty close. I stand by the comment that the fin numbers are all over the place. This might be because Connelly does not have a big factory "team" or a lot of national level skiers on their product giving them feedback on set up, etc.

• DirtDirt Posts: 1,594 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited May 2013
    @skibug it is a 67".
    @Horton and @MattP thanks
    @Krlee not helpful and no you cannot steal it (like you permanently borrowed the A3).
    @MrJones I am not sure what differences there are between the 12 & 13 but the paperwork that came with it said Prophecy and had the numbers Horton posted with the exception of two different dft numbers, .770 to curve in tail of ski and .820 to flat area of ski.
    2012 & 2013 same mold. Different core

Dirt.
    So how are you getting DFT? What is your number flat against the ski "a la" D3? Sorry, but I am a little confused.
    Scot (MrJones) the paperwork was a bit confusing. I stood the ski on end (tail up) and measured flat by pressing the caliper against the ski. I'll try to attach a pic of the paperwork that came with the ski.
    In case you cannot read it. The left dft says "0.770 measured to bevel" and the one below it says, "0.820 measured at end of ski"

When it came from the factory, I measured it at: 2.485, 6.932 tips, and .801 flat, 7*
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,275 Mega Baller
    @Dirt Did you borrow it from @Horton again?
    Shut up and ski
    @ms that will never happen again

MattP
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,275 Mega Baller
    @Horton He sure skied well on it.
    Shut up and ski
    @Dirt , just drop it off on your evening fly over and I will test it for you. And as long as I keep avoiding Hinkle's calls, I get to keep the ski right?
    edited May 2013
    @MS I wish I borrowed it from Horton.
    @Horton you are selfish.
    @Krlee it worked for me.

If anyone is interested, I took a second ride on the Prophecy yesterday. I kept the fin and binding placement the same.

It is only the second ride but the thing that impresses me most is the way the ski moves outbound effortlessly. It just swings outbound underneath me at edge change and creates width. This keeps the handle in close to my body until it is time to reach, without any effort to do so. I have been able to run a really early line.

I made a huge mistake on one of my harder passes and stood up at 5 ball. I decided to try to make it around 6 and was surprised to easily do it. I might have been able to get around 6 ball on my other ski but the Prophecy was much less effort.

If you are thinking about trying new skis, I recommend you include the Prophecy. I wouldn't have considered it since I don't see them around and there has not been much hype.
    I am interested about the "outbound effortlessly" comment, and whether this is different from the '12 to the '13 due to the core change.

@Dirt: How was the toe side turn???
    edited May 2013
    Both turns are good. I may need to make some adjustments but I don't want to change anything until I am sure what (if anything) I need to fix.
    As far as changes from 12 to 13, I would call Connelly.
    @dirt , Fritz said I could try the Connelly this weekend!
    Holy crap don't let Fritz ride it!

Too late