For HH

skiron07skiron07 Posts: 96 Baller
edited May 2013 in Technique & Theory
okay, question to be posed:
training wise I normally ski 22,28, 32 and then into 35 (pb [email protected]); sometimes a couple of 28's, almost always multiple 32's before the 35's...
been advised to drop the initial 22 and just 'recalibrate' my set w/a 28- need some feedback on this and whether or not it's a personal preference or if it'd help my performance. tried it a few times in the past but didn't like it.
comments are welcomed!
thx

Comments

• webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    I feel like 22 is skied differently than 28 through 35. If you're running into 38 occasionally, I say drop the 22. I think it will improve your skiing. The only way Id say stick with 22 is if you don't run 28 consistently.
    Skoot1123WishSteven_HainesHorton
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,167
    I agree on the 22 skis different than 28. I have what my ski buddies/partners call the cheater loop; but, I use a 35 loop on the end of my 28 off section to start my set. It gives you enough whip sensation that you can't get with 22 off. So it is actually more like 25 off. I know this is probably frowned upon by true tournament skiers because it is not a "real" rope length; but, I think it is a good way to start without having to pound a 28 and not feel great about it. If I were a die hard tournament skier; then, I would practice 22 a couple of days before the tourney just to give myself that extra pass.
    Bob Grizzi
    andjules
  • DustyDusty Posts: 315 Baller
    Some coaches argue that you can really only optimally tune your ski for 3 or 4 passes. If you tune for -35, 22 off is going to feel pretty doggy, and not so much like the other passes. YMMV- Then again, your opener should be a rock-solid/never miss money pass...
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 7,054 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    To get better and to perform well in tournaments, I really believe you need 3 "usually make" passes. So I'd keep the -22. It may be worth an experiment with 32/-28. I've never tried that, but I've seen it done, and it does make a little sense since -28 can feel a little different.

That said, where I am is -28/-32/-35 I expect to make most of the time, and then I need a miracle for -38. So I don't practice at -22, but sometimes I'll do it in a tournament if the conditions warrant. I've never found that to be a problem -- just remain calm... Point being: I'm not convinced that -22 is THAT different.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,531 Administrator
    Should have dropped out long ago. Terrible thread title.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

• webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    Yea! What IS HH???
  • skiron07skiron07 Posts: 96 Baller
    for a friend of mine so he doesn't miss it
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,531 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

skiron07Skoot1123ral
  • skiron07skiron07 Posts: 96 Baller
    love it John!
  • Steven_HainesSteven_Haines Posts: 1,079 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I love that bear!
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,304
    For anyone who has watched the You-Tube Video of Seth running 15 off at 30 mph, using 41 off technique, if you know how to ski, it doesn't matter.
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
  • ralral Posts: 2,015 Mega Baller
    I think it is wise to drop 22 most of the time, but might want to try it occasionally to have an option in windy tourneys.
    Rodrigo Andai